Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdsparty32

NL-ONLY $75 10 Team Modified 5x5 Roto Auction Keeper League

Hello all, figured I'd start recruiting early this year in hopes of finding 9 other solid owners who are committed not only to this year, but for many years to come.

This will be a 5x5 Rotisserie league. The categories we will use are slightly different than other "standard" 5x5 leagues. The categories are:

1) OBP

2) Runs

3) RBI

4) HR

5) Net Steals (Calculated as 2*SB-CS )

1) ERA

2) Modified WHIP (BB+H+HBP-IBB)/IP

3) W+QS

4) Ks

5) Saves+Holds (Calculated as 2*S+H)

The changes to the 2 hitting categories are pretty self-explanatory, but if you're wondering about the changes to the pitching categories, here is my reasoning: It always bugged me how pitchers don't get penalized for hitting a batter, but do get penalized for walking someone on purpose. Using this modified WHIP formula takes care of that. There has been a lot of debate on these boards and many other places about Wins vs. Quality Starts. While neither of the 2 are perfect, they both have their merits, and I think combining the 2 is better than picking one or the other, and much better than using both as separate categories. As far as S+H, I wanted closers to retain most of their value while also bumping up the value of the 7th and 8th inning guys. And being a keeper league, it also increases the value of the 'closer-in-waiting' types.

DRAFT/ROSTER COMPOSITION:

Each team will have a $300 budget for the auction draft. The minimum bid/increment is $1. We will start 23 players:

C

1B

2B

SS

3B

MI

CI

OF

OF

OF

OF

OF

U

U

9 Pitcher slots (No SP/RP designations)

That is a total of 23 active players. We will also have 7 bench spots for a total of 30 roster spots. There will be 1 DL slot that can only be filled by a player who is currently listed on the MLB Disabled List.

CONTRACT/KEEPER RULES:

Each team may keep up to 15 players from year to year. There is no minimum number of players that must be kept, but you can keep no more than 15. There are no penalties for releasing a player.

Every player who is drafted or acquired in free agency will be placed on a 3 year contract. So for example, say you draft Andrew McCutchen for $50 in the 2015 draft. On your team page during the 2015 season, you will see: Andrew McCutchen ---------- $50 ----------- 2 years

In 2016, you'd see: Andrew McCutchen ----------- $50 ----------- 1 year

In 2017, you'd see: Andrew McCutchen ----------- $50 ----------- 0 year

In 2018, McCutchen would be back in the free agent pool and would be bid on during the draft.

There is no inflation from year to year. Before a player's 0-year season (Before the 2017 draft in this example), you have the option to extend that player's contract by $7/year, for up to 3 years. However, players on long-term contracts MUST BE KEPT FOR THE DURATION OF THE EXTENSION, so extend at your own risk. Using the same example, if a team decided to extend McCutchen for 2 more years:

In 2017, you'd see: Andrew McCutchen ----------- $64 ----------- 2 years LT

In 2018, you'd see: Andrew McCutchen ----------- $64 ----------- 1 year LT

In 2019, you'd see: Andrew McCutchen ----------- $64 ----------- 0 year LT

In 2020, McCutchen would be back in the free agent pool and would be bid on during the draft.

Even if McCutchen suffered a career-ending injury in the first month of the 2017 season, you would still have to keep him through the 2019 season due to his extension. A player can only be signed to an extension once per contract cycle (you couldn't extend his contract again before the 2019 season).

The above is obviously a very extreme example, and you would really only want to consider extending a young player/prospect who is much cheaper.

PROSPECTS/FREE AGENCY:

Any player who is on an MLB or MILB roster is eligible to be bid on during the draft. There will not be a separate prospect draft or prospect roster. You can draft as many or as few prospects as you'd like. Once the season begins, however, a player must have 130 ABs/50 IP to be eligible to be picked up in free agency.

We will use FAAB to acquire free agents. Each team will get $100 in FAAB, plus whatever is left over of their $300 from the auction draft. There will be 2 FAAB runs each week, on Saturday and Sunday nights. The price you pay to acquire a player will be his salary he will be on a 3 year contract, same as the players you drafted that year.

TRADES:

Since this is a keeper league, everyone will have different valuations for different players, especially when considering their salary and years remaining on their contract. Teams who are out of the running may trade away their 0-year studs for high-ceiling prospects, or their over-priced ace starter for a number of cheaper veterans, etc. etc. There is nothing wrong with playing for next year or building for the future. The only thing that won't be tolerated is collusion. In order to prevent this, the only thing I ask is that if you decide to trade away your best players in order to rebuild, post a message on the league home page saying something like "I've decided to have a fire sale, X, Y, and Z, are all available, message me with any offers." This transparency gives every team a chance to make an offer, and that way no one feels blind-sided (prevents the "I woulda given you way more for him!" messages) or thinks something shady is going on. If we all do this, there shouldn't be any problems, but on the off-chance there is, I reserve the right to open any trade up to a league vote.

LEAGUE DUES/PAYOUTS:

I've decided to host this league on CBS. ESPN and Yahoo were out of this question since they don't allow you to customize categories, and I prefer the functionality and user-friendliness of CBS to OnRoto, I believe its worth the extra money. I think it is still $150 to use their service, so that's $15 per team. The entry fee for the league is $60, and will increase by $5 each year until we hit a cap of $135. So the total for each team this year is $75, next year it would be $80, the following year $85, etc. until it gets to the total being $150 per team ($135 entry fee, $15 for the league).

Now this is a KEEPER league, so it is NOT meant to be treated as a re-draft. As you can tell, I've put a lot of thought and effort into making this a sustainable league for many years to come. My longest running league, which has been going strong for over 25 years, utilizes nearly this exact format, and all the owners love it. If you don't want to commit to more than this year, this league is not for you. Because I've seen so many people join a keeper/dynasty league only to jump ship after year 1, everyone will be required to pay for 2 YEARS UP FRONT. That means that the total amount due to our LeagueSafe site prior to the draft this year is $155 ($60 entry + $15 for CBS this year, plus $65 + $15 for CBS next year). We will always stay a year ahead with the league dues in an effort to discourage people from going "all-in" one year and then bailing. All the money will be held on LeagueSafe, using the majority vote payout. The payouts will be:

1st Place) 60%

2nd Place) 30%

3rd Place) 10%

So for this first year, that translates to:

1st Place) $360

2nd Place) $180

3rd Place) $60

DRAFT DATE/TIME:

Once I get the majority of the owners committed, we will work out a day and time for the auction that works with everyone. Ideally it would be sometime in the middle of March.

I will also be doing another league with the EXACT same format, but as an AL-Only league. If you have any questions, concerns, comments, or if either/both of these leagues interest you, PM me or reply in this thread and I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks and good luck this year!

Looking for good NL league...CBS..been fantasy baseball nut for...forever..category changes are interesting..would require deeper research from forecasts but a challenge. My biggest concern is "dump trading" ..I like the league notification format but I've been in league where trading gets out of hand and also ones where commish is over restrictive. How many teams u got so far?

Stan

Stan,

Thanks for your interest. I understand your concerns over trading, as that always seems like the toughest part of keepers leagues to keep a competitive/fair balance. It's my hope that the 'notification system' would do the trick, but there are obviously no guarantees. I think the best course of action is to just try it out for the first year, see how it goes, and then make changes accordingly/if necessary. And I definitely do not want to or plan on being an over restrictive commissioner. The only time I would ever intervene in a trade would be when several other league members have a complaint about a trade AND both of the parties in the trade can't give a good explanation of why they made the deal.

I just started recruiting for this league so you would be the 3rd owner to join. Let me know if you have any other questions, concerns, or suggestions.

Sounds good. You can put me down.. I am in 3 other leagues now .. 2 mixed with one auction other serpentine picks & a AL auction .. If I like this league will drop If u are doing an AL also? What's your 25 yr league? Sound like you're and old fart (like me) .. True baseball fans

Stan

Yup I'm doing an AL-only league as well with this same format. 25 year league is also an AL-only auction keeper much like this one. Started out as an old school 4x4 roto but we've made some changes and improvements over the years. Glad to have ya Stan!

hi - thanks for the post as this is a very interesting league and I like the format (definitely prefer OBP to BA) and thought that want into the scoring and safeguards. I just have 2 questions: 1) I assume this is a weekly and not a daily reset league; and 2) I am not sure how to interpret the free agency "Once the season begins, however, a player must have 130 ABs/50 IP to be eligible to be picked up in free agency." - I do not know if you mean in the majors in 2014, in the majors in 2015 or exactly how that works with minor leaguers such as, say, Lindor, who has no ML at-bats but might be called up in, for example, June. do you have to wait until he gets called up or exactly how does this work?

Yes it is a weekly league, forgot to mention that so thank you for reminding me. However, there will be a rule that let's you swap in a player from your bench if one of your active players hits the DL in the first half of the week (Monday-Thursday). That is the only exception though.

As for free agency, I wanted to discourage teams from dumping their 0-year and over-priced players late in the season so they can pick up $1 prospects for the following year, so that's why I'm using the 130 AB/50 IP threshold (MLBs definition of rookie players). And it is 130/50 in their career, not in the current season. So if a player who got called up for the first time in September last season pitched 36 MLB innings, you'd have to wait until he threw 14 innings this season (36+14=50) before you could pick him up in mid-season as a free agent. That is, if he is not bid on during the auction draft prior to the season. Remember, any player is eligible to be drafted in the auction prior to the season, regardless of their playing status (as long as they are signed to an MLB or minor league team; no drafting high schoolers or 16 year old Dominicans, lol). In your example with Lindor, if he wasn't drafted in the auction prior to the season, you would have to wait until he gets 130 ABs in MLB to be able to pick him up. But guys like Lindor, Bryant, Russell, etc., quality prospects who are expected to be called up at some point during the season, are almost always bid on during the auction draft, at least in my other league that utilizes this format. Remember, every player you draft is put on a 3 year contract, so while drafting a guy like Lindor this year for something like $5 might not do you a whole lot of good this season, you'd be able to keep him for $5 in 2016 and 2017 when he is likely going to have the starting SS job locked up.

In a league like this, it's all about keeping a good balance of young players/prospects on the rise and older vets on reasonable contracts. Every team will have a different view on prospects; some teams will stock up on them in the auction draft each year, while some teams may not draft any. It's really just a matter of personal preference, and I think that added element makes it a lot more fun/interesting. It also makes for a much more active and competitive league, in my opinion.

I hope I explained that well enough and that it answers your question. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, just let me know!

How are ypu going to do the auction online?? Also i am in a fun auction keeper nl only league and we have 4 minor league spots so we can slowly invest in minor league players over time. I dont see th8s in your league. Just wondering im interested.

Yes it will be an online auction draft, CBS has an option for that. Just like a regular in-person auction, each owner takes turns nominating a player and then there is a button to increase the bid by $1 or you can enter a bid for whatever amount you choose. Once a bid holds for a certain amount of time (I think it's usually 20 or 25 seconds) then the bidding stops and then next team nominates a player.

I hadn't planned on doing a separate minor league draft since you are allowed to bid on minor leaguers in the auction, but I would be open to the idea of doing that and having a small (3 or 4 player) minor league roster, if that's what the majority wants to do.

I'm afraid my luck in finding EXACTLY the type of League I'm looking for--have been an NL only SERP (not auction) Draft player since 1991--might be running out. And the past 5 seasons I have loved the Slow Drafts too (but the online website that ran these leagues--phenoms--went belly-up).

On the very long shot that you (or others)ever get going with a well run NL Only, Serp (Slow) Draft Money League (I also prefer Redrafts but would consider a Keeper or Dynasty) feel free to contact me. Temprock(AT)Hotmail.com

Good luck with your League too of course.

I'm afraid my luck in finding EXACTLY the type of League I'm looking for--have been an NL only SERP (not auction) Draft player since 1991--might be running out. And the past 5 seasons I have loved the Slow Drafts too (but the online website that ran these leagues--phenoms--went belly-up).

On the very long shot that you (or others)ever get going with a well run NL Only, Serp (Slow) Draft Money League (I also prefer Redrafts but would consider a Keeper or Dynasty) feel free to contact me. Temprock(AT)Hotmail.com

Good luck with your League too of course.

Will do

I am very interested. Please email me at larryscubs@aol.com. I am an old roto vet (since 1985) and this sounds like an interesting set-up.

I am very interested. Please email me at larryscubs@aol.com. I am an old roto vet (since 1985) and this sounds like an interesting set-up.

Great, just sent you an email!

I would be interested in joining. Been searching for the last season or two for a good NL Only.

My email is mwarner12487@gmail.com if you still have vacancies.

Thanks!

I would be interested in joining. Been searching for the last season or two for a good NL Only.

My email is mwarner12487@gmail.com if you still have vacancies.

Thanks!

Just sent you an email!