Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdsparty32

AL-ONLY $75 10 Team Modified 5x5 Roto Auction Keeper League

Hello all, figured I'd start recruiting early this year in hopes of finding 9 other solid owners who are committed not only to this year, but for many years to come.

This will be a 5x5 Rotisserie league. The categories we will use are slightly different than other "standard" 5x5 leagues. The categories are:

1) OBP

2) Runs

3) RBI

4) HR

5) Net Steals (Calculated as 2*SB-CS )

1) ERA

2) Modified WHIP (BB+H+HBP-IBB)/IP

3) W+QS

4) Ks

5) Saves+Holds (Calculated as 2*S+H)

The changes to the 2 hitting categories are pretty self-explanatory, but if you're wondering about the changes to the pitching categories, here is my reasoning: It always bugged me how pitchers don't get penalized for hitting a batter, but do get penalized for walking someone on purpose. Using this modified WHIP formula takes care of that. There has been a lot of debate on these boards and many other places about Wins vs. Quality Starts. While neither of the 2 are perfect, they both have their merits, and I think combining the 2 is better than picking one or the other, and much better than using both as separate categories. As far as S+H, I wanted closers to retain most of their value while also bumping up the value of the 7th and 8th inning guys. And being a keeper league, it also increases the value of the 'closer-in-waiting' types.

DRAFT/ROSTER COMPOSITION:

Each team will have a $300 budget for the auction draft. The minimum bid/increment is $1. We will start 23 players:

C

1B

2B

SS

3B

MI

CI

OF

OF

OF

OF

OF

U

U

9 Pitcher slots (No SP/RP designations)

That is a total of 23 active players. We will also have 7 bench spots for a total of 30 roster spots. There will be 1 DL slot that can only be filled by a player who is currently listed on the MLB Disabled List.

CONTRACT/KEEPER RULES:

Each team may keep up to 15 players from year to year. There is no minimum number of players that must be kept, but you can keep no more than 15. There are no penalties for releasing a player.

Every player who is drafted or acquired in free agency will be placed on a 3 year contract. So for example, say you draft Mike Trout for $50 in the 2015 draft. On your team page during the 2015 season, you will see: Mike Trout ---------- $50 ----------- 2 years

In 2016, you'd see: Mike Trout ----------- $50 ----------- 1 year

In 2017, you'd see: Mike Trout ----------- $50 ----------- 0 year

In 2018, Trout would be back in the free agent pool and would be bid on during the draft.

There is no inflation from year to year. Before a player's 0-year season (Before the 2017 draft in this example), you have the option to extend that player's contract by $7/year, for up to 3 years. However, players on long-term contracts MUST BE KEPT FOR THE DURATION OF THE EXTENSION, so extend at your own risk. Using the same example, if a team decided to extend McCutchen for 2 more years:

In 2017, you'd see: Mike Trout ----------- $64 ----------- 2 years LT

In 2018, you'd see: Mike Trout ----------- $64 ----------- 1 year LT

In 2019, you'd see: Mike Trout ----------- $64 ----------- 0 year LT

In 2020, Trout would be back in the free agent pool and would be bid on during the draft.

Even if Trout suffered a career-ending injury in the first month of the 2017 season, you would still have to keep him through the 2019 season due to his extension. A player can only be signed to an extension once per contract cycle (you couldn't extend his contract again before the 2019 season).

The above is obviously a very extreme example, and you would really only want to consider extending a young player/prospect who is much cheaper.

PROSPECTS/FREE AGENCY:

Any player who is on an MLB or MILB roster is eligible to be bid on during the draft. There will not be a separate prospect draft or prospect roster. You can draft as many or as few prospects as you'd like. Once the season begins, however, a player must have 130 ABs/50 IP to be eligible to be picked up in free agency.

We will use FAAB to acquire free agents. Each team will get $100 in FAAB, plus whatever is left over of their $300 from the auction draft. There will be 2 FAAB runs each week, on Saturday and Sunday nights. The price you pay to acquire a player will be his salary he will be on a 3 year contract, same as the players you drafted that year.

TRADES:

Since this is a keeper league, everyone will have different valuations for different players, especially when considering their salary and years remaining on their contract. Teams who are out of the running may trade away their 0-year studs for high-ceiling prospects, or their over-priced ace starter for a number of cheaper veterans, etc. etc. There is nothing wrong with playing for next year or building for the future. The only thing that won't be tolerated is collusion. In order to prevent this, the only thing I ask is that if you decide to trade away your best players in order to rebuild, post a message on the league home page saying something like "I've decided to have a fire sale, X, Y, and Z, are all available, message me with any offers." This transparency gives every team a chance to make an offer, and that way no one feels blind-sided (prevents the "I woulda given you way more for him!" messages) or thinks something shady is going on. If we all do this, there shouldn't be any problems, but on the off-chance there is, I reserve the right to open any trade up to a league vote.

LEAGUE DUES/PAYOUTS:

I've decided to host this league on CBS. ESPN and Yahoo were out of this question since they don't allow you to customize categories, and I prefer the functionality and user-friendliness of CBS to OnRoto, I believe its worth the extra money. I think it is still $150 to use their service, so that's $15 per team. The entry fee for the league is $60, and will increase by $5 each year until we hit a cap of $135. So the total for each team this year is $75, next year it would be $80, the following year $85, etc. until it gets to the total being $150 per team ($135 entry fee, $15 for the league).

Now this is a KEEPER league, so it is NOT meant to be treated as a re-draft. As you can tell, I've put a lot of thought and effort into making this a sustainable league for many years to come. My longest running league, which has been going strong for over 25 years, utilizes nearly this exact format, and all the owners love it. If you don't want to commit to more than this year, this league is not for you. Because I've seen so many people join a keeper/dynasty league only to jump ship after year 1, everyone will be required to pay for 2 YEARS UP FRONT. That means that the total amount due to our LeagueSafe site prior to the draft this year is $155 ($60 entry + $15 for CBS this year, plus $65 + $15 for CBS next year). We will always stay a year ahead with the league dues in an effort to discourage people from going "all-in" one year and then bailing. All the money will be held on LeagueSafe, using the majority vote payout. The payouts will be:

1st Place) 60%

2nd Place) 30%

3rd Place) 10%

So for this first year, that translates to:

1st Place) $360

2nd Place) $180

3rd Place) $60

DRAFT DATE/TIME:

Once I get the majority of the owners committed, we will work out a day and time for the auction that works with everyone. Ideally it would be sometime in the middle of March.

I will also be doing another league with the EXACT same format, but as an NL-Only league. If you have any questions, concerns, comments, or if either/both of these leagues interest you, PM me or reply in this thread and I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks and good luck this year!

I am also interested, im hoping that this isn't a "live" auction....meaning I don't have to be there physically? I'm assuming this is done over the internet? also may I make a suggestion??? Our league 4x4 AL only league has been around 28 going on 29 years this yr...Onroto is a great site, very user friendly and cheap as well. hope to hear from you :)

I am also interested, im hoping that this isn't a "live" auction....meaning I don't have to be there physically? I'm assuming this is done over the internet? also may I make a suggestion??? Our league 4x4 AL only league has been around 28 going on 29 years this yr...Onroto is a great site, very user friendly and cheap as well. hope to hear from you :)

No worries, it is an online auction done over the internet. I considered OnRoto and I have used it once before, but I prefer the functionality of CBS and I think its more user friendly, and since this will be a long running league, I believe its worth it to pay a couple extra bucks and use CBS so that we there will be a league archive. Could you PM your email so I can send you some more details?

For some reason i cant PM. try PMing me bc im still interested

Yeah, for some reason this site doesn't let you get or send PMs until after a certain amount of time passes after you join. No worries though, I got your email in the comment you left me on my profile and I will be sending out an email to everyone early in the upcoming week.

Hi ... Stan here....looks like we're coming along here and in NL as well... I think I'll sign up for this one as well. You can shot me an email at stann44man@yahoo.com with particulars

Stan

Hi ... Stan here....looks like we're coming along here and in NL as well... I think I'll sign up for this one as well. You can shot me an email at stann44man@yahoo.com with particulars

Stan

Awesome, will do Stan! I'll be sending out an email to everyone who is interested early in the upcoming week.

I have played in a 5X5 Keeper AL Only Roto league for the past 21 years. I think your post looks interesting. Are there any more openings?

I have played in a 5X5 Keeper AL Only Roto league for the past 21 years. I think your post looks interesting. Are there any more openings?

Yup we have a few more openings, what's your email?