Coach George

Amed Rosario - SS NYM

143 posts in this topic

Rosario is a tall, lanky shortstop. He hasn't done much statistically speaking in the minors but there are rave reviews about his long term potential. Keith Law recently included him in his top 100 list. I don't know that he belongs in the top 100 but I think he could definitely be a guy to monitor and maybe even store if you are in a situation to chase some upside. Thoughts?

Shhhhhh. By all accounts he is the real deal. Hoping he is missed in my draft. All the tools, and the only thing BP said is keeping him out of the top spots is how young he is - he profiles like Xander did at this age. Sure bet to be NYM #1 next year after Thor gets the call.

Now is the time to make a run at him if you can wait 2+ years. Candidate for a huge ranking leap this year.

I picked him up going into the year last year, and have monitored him consistently since. I'm glad to see him getting some hype right now.

I've given him the boot. I know he's young and scouts ooze over his bat speed, but he just strike out too much and hasn't shown any appealing fantasy qualities. At least with a guy like Raul Mondesi Jr, even though he strikes out a ton, he at least flashes power and speed.

Edited by I like baseball

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/new-york-mets-top-10-prospects-chat/

Rich (NJ): Do scouts see Amed Rosario developing more strength and power down the road or has he become more of a contact hitter. Similar to Niko Goodrum in the sense of how the body develops will in some ways determine the way forward?

Matt Eddy: Yes, scouts indicate that Rosario has adopted a slashing hitting approach that emphasizes his speed. He could grow into more muscle — he’s just 19 — and cut some of the loop out of his swing, but he has impact potential with his glove, speed and on-base ability, so power won’t be crucial for him to develop to be a frontline shortstop.

Made #1 on BA Prospect Hot Sheet for this week: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-april-29-young-mets-shortstop-finds-footing/#K66fSZYqTGQTwwhJ.97

Team: high Class A St. Lucie (Florida State)

Why He’s Here: .375/.407/.750 (9-for-24), 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 12 RBIs, 1 BB, 5 SO

The Scoop: Rosario is a talented prospect, but when the Mets jumped the teenager to the Florida State League last year after he spent 2014 in the short-season New York-Penn League, the move proved to be too ambitious. He was able to tread water in 2015, but his modest performance didn’t reflect his considerable upside. Back in the FSL for round two, Rosario is off to a terrific start. He already has three home runs after going without a homer the entire 2015 season. The minors are chock full of talented shortstops off to excellent starts, but Rosario’s stock is certainly up as his game performance starts to break through. (BB)

Hmm...he looks like he's added some weight this season and it's paying off...

Sitting at .328 two hits today... still at 3 homers handful of steals...

Edited by hard1

He should get a promo to AA very soon. Jumped into the top 25 of Klaws updated list. I find it odd that he doesn't get much hype despite being in a big market? I really like everything about his game and can see him putting up big-time numbers in AA and then Vegas (AAA). He might be ready by early to mid 2018--right when Mets have a huge opening...not that Cabrerra (or anyone else ahead of him on the Mets ladder) would stand in his way when he shows he's ready.

So excited! There will be growing pains for sure given his age and hopefully he's ready for the move. But he had nothing left to prove.

Figured it would have been a bit earlier, but the kid deserves this shot.  Excited about his next step here.

number 13 on KLaw's midseason prospect list.

In case you haven't noticed, he's hitting .429 since being promoted to AA

I've recently received several inquires on Rosario in my dynasty league; looks like Law's midseason list reallyyyyy grew some hype on him.

I'm actually leaning toward selling now and winning now. What will I be missing? I haven't heard many projections on Rosario

Projections seem to be varying on the power, but Law, in particular, is convinced he's an all- star.  not sure you're getting more than 15 HR in his prime, but good bat skills and gap power have shown this year, so who knows.

1 person likes this

Selling prospects is always so tricky. I grow quite attached to them and obviously drafted them for a reason. 

However, at best we're looking at Rosario contributing during 2018? A lot can happen until then and I'm a big proponent of flipping prospects at this point in their development if a non-playoff team is looking simply at upside and is willing to overpay with established players