Coach George

Ozhaino Albies - SS ATL

61 posts in this topic

He just turned 18 years old...another guy from Curacao. Albies hit .364 last season over 198 ABs. He still has a small frame (5'9 150 lbs) and that could limit his power, but Albies is getting a ton of hype right now. He's showing up on a lot of prospect lists and receiving a lot of positive publicity.

He stole 22 bags and had more walks (28) than strikeouts (23). Scouts have also raved about his glove.

Albies is a long way away from the Big Leagues...he's just so young. He will be a super fast riser up the prospect lists. Huge potential.

I knew there would be some shhhhuuusssshhhinnnggg going on. This is a fantasy baseball site where we talk about minor leaguers. The odds of keeping the lid on this guy are extremely small at this point. He's getting a lot of love right now.

CBS added him to their database...if you want him, it's time to grab him.

2 people like this

From the breakout prospects thread.

Ozhaino Albies, SS ATL - only 17 years old. quick, simple swing, terrific bat control, mature understanding of strike zone, makes consistent contact and takes advantage of his plus-plus speed, natural instincts, works inside ball, lowest k-rate for a 17 year old in Appy League since Jimmy Rollins in 1996. Strong statistical markers in BB rate, k rate, BA, SBs. Future leadoff hitter with speed.

Well he was top rated Braves prospect for fangraphs (Which even admitted it was aggressive)

So I think the cat may be coming out of bag fella's

2 people like this

Can't decide if I like him or Gleyber Torres more, they both strike me as guys who are going to be fighting it out on prospect lists for the next few years.

Well Fangraph's top 200 list put Albies at 34 so word is definitely out.

1 person likes this

Well Fangraph's top 200 list put Albies at 34 so word is definitely out.

Think he was about 60 on BPs list. Think Law had him highly ranked as well. Fully expecting him to be top 75 on BAs as well.

Not on BA's top 100, but they say he could be a fast riser

That is a little odd. I am a big fan of him as well. He just seems to have all of the tools to be a very successful MLB SS. I believe some power will develop in the next few years as well.

Not on BA's top 100, but they say he could be a fast riser

I was really surprised by this omission because BA was the publication that originally brought him to light for me this season.

I always get confused when people say huge potential then see someone that's 125 pounds soaking wet with the power potential to hit 1 homer In 600 abs. That is not huge potential to me. I guess I say potato some say pototo

I always get confused when people say huge potential then see someone that's 125 pounds soaking wet with the power potential to hit 1 homer In 600 abs. That is not huge potential to me. I guess I say potato some say pototo

Because baseball "potential" is about more than just being able to hit the ball over a fence.

1 person likes this

I'd definitely take a guy that hits .325 - 40 steals - 100 runs... Great K/BB ratio for points leagues.

He's 18...he will get bigger and stronger.

Not sold on him for fantasy purposes.

OBP and steals from a SS?? Will bat at the top of the lineup so will score runs too

Not sold on him for fantasy purposes.

OBP and steals from a SS?? Will bat at the top of the lineup so will score runs too

That's still a 3 cat player

Can certainly help but everything has to break right

So he's Billy Hamilton playing SS with an ETA to the majors of around 2020.

Fast, but not that fast.

You just described Jorge Mateo, but Jorge might have a little more power in the bat but less refinement in his approach compared to billy (A ball destroyer of worlds version of Billy)

1 person likes this