Coach George

Ozhaino Albies - SS ATL

61 posts in this topic

From a board I frequent...

Just wanted to add some perspective on what Ozzy is doing at AA; its ridiculous and it doesn't seem like prospect guru's are really talking about it that much, considering the performance and his age.  

Albies is currently hitting .370/.440/.505 in 184 ABs.

Going back to 2005 - here are the best seasons that batters have put together in the Southern League in BA/OBP/SLG and their age when they did it. 

Batting Average / 2005-2016

1. Ozzie Albies .370 (2016/19 years old) 
2. Dave Sappelt .361 (2010/23 years old) 
3. Angel Salome .360 (2008/22 years old)
3. Scott Van Slyke .348 (2011/25 years old) 
4. Brandon Guyer .344 (2010/24 years old) 
5. Tyler Kuhn .341 (2011/24 years old)
5. Moises Sierra .341 (2016/27 years old)

Ozzie's OBP of .440 would rank;

2016 #1 - next closest .419
2015 #1 - next closest .416
2014 #1 - next closest .405
2013 #1 - next closest .420
2012 #1 - next closest .416
2011 #1 - next closest .435
2010 #1 - next closest .411
2009 #2 - Ezequiel Carrera .441 OBP / 22 years old
2008 #1 - next closest .419
2007 #1 - next closest .433
2006 #1 - next closest .408
2005 #2 - Jermey Hermida .457 OBP / 21 years old

Ozzie's SLG% of .505 would rank

2016 #4 - highest .547
2015 #2 - highest .531
2014 #3 - highest .556
2013 #1 - next closest .497 
2012 #4 - highest .563
2011 #8 - highest .626
2010 #3 - highest .588
2009 #3 - highest .521
2008 #9 - highest .580
2007 #4 - highest .565
2006 #3 - highest .547
2005 #7 - highest .582

Obviously Albies spent some time in AAA, so his sample size is a little bit smaller here, but we are still approaching 200 ABs and even if there's some regression, what he's done on this level AT HIS AGE; is unprecedented as a hitter. Also keep in mind that many of the other leaders on these lists are not only much older, but also play more offensive positions like OF/1B. 

He's a stud.

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5534

Edited by kidtwentytwo

The Braves wanted Ozzie and Swanson to get used to playing next to each other on the field to build up their chemistry. Initially, they wanted both players to continue to get reps at SS, but they're now ready to transition Albies to 2B full time.

1 person likes this

I don't think he gets called up in Septembre since his minor league team looks playoff bound. However after elimination we may get a week peek at him.

He is playing in my the Arizona fall league. Does that mean he likely won't be called up? He is just 19 years old but holding his own 

Anything recent on albies?  Seems to be hovering around 10-15 in most rankings,  still very very young. And should be pushing his way to the majors at some point this yearif he keeps hitting.  Speed/hit tool seem to be his best tools to date.  If he adds a little weight or muscle mass maybe we could be looking at a 100 run 10 homers 80 RBI 30sb 300 hitting second baseman.  

1 hour ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Anything recent on albies?  Seems to be hovering around 10-15 in most rankings,  still very very young. And should be pushing his way to the majors at some point this yearif he keeps hitting.  Speed/hit tool seem to be his best tools to date.  If he adds a little weight or muscle mass maybe we could be looking at a 100 run 10 homers 80 RBI 30sb 300 hitting second baseman.  

I think he probably profiles as a leadoff guy, which in the NL hurts his RBI chances and I don't think he has enough power to compensate and get 80 RBI. Everything else, while obviously optimistic seems plausible

New to the Albies thread here. I am taking over a dynasty team with him on it so trying to learn a little more. Is his ETA this year ? And how does the acquisition of Demeritte effect him if at all ? Seems like they have a crowded middle infield.

Given the acquisition of Brandon Phillips, aside from a September cup of coffee I'd expect him to compete for a full time job in 2018. He has a proven rapport with Swanson from their time together in AA and fits in perfectly near the top of the order with his skill set, so barring major regression this season I'd expect to see Albies and Swanson as double play partners for years to come.

18 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

New to the Albies thread here. I am taking over a dynasty team with him on it so trying to learn a little more. Is his ETA this year ? And how does the acquisition of Demeritte effect him if at all ? Seems like they have a crowded middle infield.

I really wouldn't consider Demeritte a real threat to Albies as the 2nd baseman of the future for the Braves. Demeritte has major swing and miss issues now at the lower levels (33 K% at Advanced A), let alone at the higher levels where his long swing and struggles recognizing breaking balls will likely become more troublesome. Demeritte is a major work in progress still. Albies is the superior prospect at a higher organizational level, combining great contact skills (fangraphs gave him a future 70 hit tool) with great speed (70 grade speed) and defence (60-65 field with 55 arm). He profiles as a leadoff type hitter as he puts the ball in play lots (15.6 K% last year between AA and AAA) and can take a walk (8.3 BB% last year between AA and AAA), and he does while being well younger than his peers. Not sure how high of a ceiling he has as a fantasy player, he could be like Dee Gordon or he could be like Alcides Escobar. I think he gets a shot at the end of the year in September for a few games as the Braves brought in Brandon Phillips, but look for him more as a 2018 guy. I think he will be one of the hotter prospects going into next year as that will likely be his opportunity at a full time gig in the majors.

1 person likes this

If he didn't get hurt he may have had a shot (maybe a long shot) to compete for the job this year.  I thought we would see Albies a little sooner if Sean Rodriguez was healthy and they didn't sign Phillips. Either way he should be up later this year And competing for the starting gig in 2018. He may get called up sooner if he hits at AAA and injuries open the door for him.