Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

I used to be big on fitness training but after I tore my ankle Ive just been too lazy to go back and start working out again. That being said, what are some good Ab Workouts that ACTUALLY work? Also if you have a good workout that you like to use, feel free to post away. I dont want this to be about me, I want it to help other people as well.

I've actually got a baseball work out for the abs that works, but there is so much to it I wouldn't know where to being. I"ll hit you up with a PM tomorrow if I remember with the details, buy FYI it is like a 45 minute routine on just the abs..................it sucks.

Haha yea my baseball coach makes us do these ab work outs, and I hate them with a passion but I go up to the gym thats like 3 miles from my house and they have machine/workout equipment possible so thats why I was asking.

i usually do these to strengthen my "core"

The bicycle sit ups always seemed to work for me. And when im at the gym, i usually do like 3 sets of 25 of sit ups on a big incline. It'll annoy ur back, but ull feel that the next day, u once u lay down, u wont wanna get back up, thats how sore ur abs will be.

I use four simple exercises.

1. Your basic crunch

2. Your basic oblique crunch [to the side]

3. Your basic low crunch [lie flat on the ground and lift your legs into your stomach]

4. The bicycle

Works great for me

I used to be big on fitness training but after I tore my ankle Ive just been too lazy to go back and start working out again. That being said, what are some good Ab Workouts that ACTUALLY work? Also if you have a good workout that you like to use, feel free to post away. I dont want this to be about me, I want it to help other people as well.

As far as actually work I assume you mean get you ripped abs. Unfortunately the concensus is good diet and good genetics. However I built a workout from some various "ab disciplines" (from 8 minute abs to pilates) that I do about 3 times a week. These are all done in succession, no rests.

50 crunches

50 oblique crunches (50 each side)

50 reverse crunches

50 leg lift things (where you lie on you back and push your feet in the air - i forget what they're called but i did them in soccer training)

Flutter kick for 30 seconds, legs out straight

30 side crunches (30 each side)

Prone ABV (balance yourself in pushup position but rest your body weight on your forearms and suck your stomach in as hard as you can for 30 seconds)

upward facing dog (stretching the abs - i had to look up the name lol) for about 30 seconds

I think that gives me a pretty complete workout - I try to hit all the ab areas. Again, to get cut, you gotta get that BF% down which means consuming the right kinds, balance and amount of calories and being diligent.

i rely on old fashioned situps, and i have no complaints.

yes, right here, same thing

As far as actually work I assume you mean get you ripped abs. Unfortunately the concensus is good diet and good genetics. However I built a workout from some various "ab disciplines" (from 8 minute abs to pilates) that I do about 3 times a week. These are all done in succession, no rests.

25 crunches

25 oblique crunches (25 each side)

30reverse crunches

50 leg lift things (where you lie on you back and push your feet in the air - i forget what they're called but i did them in soccer training)

Flutter kick for 1 minute, legs out straight

20 side crunches (30 each side)

Prone ABV (balance yourself in pushup position but rest your body weight on your forearms and suck your stomach in as hard as you can for 1 minute)

upward facing dog (stretching the abs - i had to look up the name lol) for about 30 seconds

I do that 3 times, then more oblique dips (not sure what they're called) with 45 pound weights in each arm, also hit up the incline and do 3 sets of 25, and then the do some other various workouts using the half balls, full ones, and the one where you put your arms through the straps on the pull-up bar.

I don't think I've ever not been sore from it, but it has treated me well. I try to do this every Wednesday and Saturday and just make a full workout out of it, and usually add in some leg workouts.

I do that 3 times, then more oblique dips (not sure what they're called) with 45 pound weights in each arm, also hit up the incline and do 3 sets of 25, and then the do some other various workouts using the half balls, full ones, and the one where you put your arms through the straps on the pull-up bar.

I don't think I've ever not been sore from it, but it has treated me well. I try to do this every Wednesday and Saturday and just make a full workout out of it, and usually add in some leg workouts.

damn, that's pretty hardcore. Do you find you get better results from it by doing it in sets rather than just one set of more reps?

Typically my rule of thumb is the same as the reverse pyramid school of thought where the more reps, the better fat loss, but I'm always looking for new routines, theories, etc. to challenge that. I'm a borderline meso/endomorph myself so anything that assists fat loss I'm willing to do. Plus I hate doing it the right way (diet). Food is just too awesome. B)

Sidenote: I gave up drinking for Lent and I've already lost probably 5 lbs in a week. Crazy how much alcohol affects it.

damn, that's pretty hardcore. Do you find you get better results from it by doing it in sets rather than just one set of more reps?

Typically my rule of thumb is the same as the reverse pyramid school of thought where the more reps, the better fat loss, but I'm always looking for new routines, theories, etc. to challenge that. I'm a borderline meso/endomorph myself so anything that assists fat loss I'm willing to do. Plus I hate doing it the right way (diet). Food is just too awesome. B)

Sidenote: I gave up drinking for Lent and I've already lost probably 5 lbs in a week. Crazy how much alcohol affects it.

Im the same way when it comes to food. I gotta work 2 times as hard to stay in proper shape cuz pizza n chicken wings are just too good.

Tdavis - Without knowing more specifics I have to be general but what do you mean by "ab exercises that work"? What are you trying to accomplish? The reason I ask is because there are too many people who are looking for a quick fix when it comes to fitness. There is no one machine, exercise or pill that you can use that will work as a miracle exercise or drug.

The absolute BEST abdominal exercise is a healthy diet. If you're looking to have shredded abs you can do all the ab exercises in the world and unless you have the metabolism of a cheetah you'll never see the results. Now, to qualify that statement, there are some genetic freaks out there that can eat and drink what they want, when they want and still look like they live in the gym and off of protein shakes. You could be one of them.

Also, your "abs" are really only 1/3 of your "core". If you neglect your obliques and lower back than you're going to end up imbalanced and eventually hit a plateau or worse (become injury prone).

I'd say my favorite ab/core exercise is one that I don't know the name of so I'll have to explain it:

-Lying on your back hold a exercise/balance ball in your hands as if you were doing an overhead soccer throw (not elevated but behind your ahead--think of a Center in basketball holding a basketball above his head).

-In one motion, without moving your torso, lift your arms (with ball in hands) and legs as if you were trying to make a "V" while passing the ball from your hands to your feet.

-Now using the same range of motion, bring your arms and legs back down so they are straight out (the ball should be squeezed between your ankles) but DO NOT touch the ground witrh the ball or your hands.

-Keep passing the ball off between your hands and ankles without letting either touch the ground.

Hope that made sense...

All of that for your doughy physique? Doesn't seem worth it...or maybe add one more day...

Eh, it would work a lot better if I could down on the booze and fastfood. I've always just done it that way though so I'm not really sure how more effective it is if at all. I just picked it up from my friend who has a coach that makes them do that every morning.

Tdavis - Without knowing more specifics I have to be general but what do you mean by "ab exercises that work"? What are you trying to accomplish? The reason I ask is because there are too many people who are looking for a quick fix when it comes to fitness. There is no one machine, exercise or pill that you can use that will work as a miracle exercise or drug.

Idk if I really meant WORK, I just wanted to know what other people do besides like sit up and crunches. Im not looking for Pills/machines any of that kind of stuff-I go to the gym and I have an oblique workout I do, crunches and then the roman chair. Im just trying to find what other people have done that worked for them, to say get them a flat stomach/some definition or full definition. And I know a good diet also helps, havent really developed that though haha.

Anyone take an supplements from like bodybuilding.com or GNC?

I buy supplements from both, and fitnessfirstusa.com and dpsnutrition. If you do GNC I'd suggest getting a Gold Card. BSN is main product, especially NO-Xplode. But when I'm into stacking I stack BSN with Nitrix and Cell Mass. As far as protein goes I like Optimum Nutirtion 100% Whey Gold Standard.

I buy supplements from both, and fitnessfirstusa.com and dpsnutrition. If you do GNC I'd suggest getting a Gold Card. BSN is main product, especially NO-Xplode. But when I'm into stacking I stack BSN with Nitrix and Cell Mass. As far as protein goes I like Optimum Nutirtion 100% Whey Gold Standard.

Ehh, I would just never go to GNC personally. Everyone I know that has taken Cell Mass and NO-Explode loves it though, not really my thing. I just to just take normal WHEY protein but I started to turn into a weird shape and less skinny so stopped taking that. Still looking for something new, but don't want to be Mr. Buff or ripped, ya know?

Ehh, I would just never go to GNC personally. Everyone I know that has taken Cell Mass and NO-Explode loves it though, not really my thing. I just to just take normal WHEY protein but I started to turn into a weird shape and less skinny so stopped taking that. Still looking for something new, but don't want to be Mr. Buff or ripped, ya know?

MUSCLE MILK!!!!!!!!!

MUSCLE MILK!!!!!!!!!

The powder is fantastic to make protien shakes (not post-workout though, just for a snack) but I can't drink the containers of it. I end up feeling like I have a brick in my stomach.

50 crunches

50 oblique crunches (50 each side)

50 reverse crunches

Flutter kick for 30 seconds, legs out straight

30 side crunches (30 each side)

Prone ABV (balance yourself in pushup position but rest your body weight on your forearms and suck your stomach in as hard as you can for 30 seconds)

I think that gives me a pretty complete workout - I try to hit all the ab areas. Again, to get cut, you gotta get that BF% down which means consuming the right kinds, balance and amount of calories and being diligent.

IN BOLD: You're talking "Leg Raises" and there are myriad variations, knees bent, dancing behavior etc wik.

That's pretty solid for the abs.

I saw Toes embellishment and that will certainly get the deltoids and keep the lats involved as well, but Skoodog's core is close to what I do to maintain not being able to do weight resistance training. Because of my back I can't do lateral movement so the oblique crunches are removed from my regimen. All in all the above is a great low/no impact/resistance abs workout.

Dewey also hit on a cool exercise and he and others brought up diet. You can't have good looking abs unless you get rid of the fat. Your obliques, chest and diaphragm will look sharp if you want to leave your shirt unbuttoned. But if you want to look sharp when you take it off, you got to diet.

My vocal training excercises are also great for my abs. But that's a whole 'nuther course.

Dewey also hit on a cool exercise

I'm just glad that my description made sense!

It is without question, the hardest core exercise I've ever done. For me it's more difficult because of the increase in total movement and range of motion. It's most certainly more challenging than crunches, situps, double-crunches, weighted crunches, oblique crunches, leg raises etc.

I highly recommend it for those who followed along with my vague description.

Ahhh, I read the other day that it is actually bad to go through an extended cardio routine on a regular basis around 40 or more minutes if you're a guy. I read that you should keep it to 20 minutes or below and close to max effort otherwise the muscle starts eating itself and gets bloated and you become more poofy.

Ahhh, I read the other day that it is actually bad to go through an extended cardio routine on a regular basis around 40 or more minutes if you're a guy. I read that you should keep it to 20 minutes or below and close to max effort otherwise the muscle starts eating itself and gets bloated and you become more poofy.

Interesting... where did you read this? Have a link?