Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

Ahhh, I read the other day that it is actually bad to go through an extended cardio routine on a regular basis around 40 or more minutes if you're a guy. I read that you should keep it to 20 minutes or below and close to max effort otherwise the muscle starts eating itself and gets bloated and you become more poofy.

But outside of the bike work suggested nothing here is cardio. Crunch and lift away.

Interesting... where did you read this? Have a link?

It was in a Mens Health magazine. I'll see if I can find more on it, it didn't really go in depth is was part of like a top 10 thing or something like that.

But outside of the bike work suggested nothing here is cardio. Crunch and lift away.

Oh I know I'm just saying don't go and run for an hour thinking in a week and be as slim as you want/think. Not gonna happen.

I'm assuming most of you also have some sort of cardio routine to with your ab workouts? I usually either run 2 miles at about 8, or 9 on a good day. Can't wait to get back to running outside though.

Oh I know I'm just saying don't go and run for an hour thinking in a week and be as slim as you want/think. Not gonna happen.

I'm assuming most of you also have some sort of cardio routine to with your ab workouts? I usually either run 2 miles at about 8, or 9 on a good day. Can't wait to get back to running outside though.

Amen brother...so sick of the treadmill...

Ahhh, I read the other day that it is actually bad to go through an extended cardio routine on a regular basis around 40 or more minutes if you're a guy. I read that you should keep it to 20 minutes or below and close to max effort otherwise the muscle starts eating itself and gets bloated and you become more poofy.

This has been proven in several studies. Most experts agree that for a man that is trying to build muscle mass, you should not do more than 20 minutes of any cardio-vascular activity three times a week.

The most important thing with any workout is to vary your routine.

This has been proven in several studies. Most experts agree that for a man that is trying to build muscle mass, you should not do more than 20 minutes of any cardio-vascular activity three times a week.

The most important thing with any workout is to vary your routine.

I think the key here is goals. Because long-distance running and biking won't make you bloated.

Look at Lance Armstrong or any Marathon runner you know. They look pretty healthy to me. Now take a look at an Olympic sprinter. There is a difference in physique for sure.

What you guys are referring to is "High Intensity Interval Training" (HIIT). It's time efficient but grueling and yes, you will see results for sure.

I think the key here is goals. Because long-distance running and biking won't make you bloated.

Look at Lance Armstrong or any Marathon runner you know. They look pretty healthy to me. Now take a look at an Olympic sprinter. There is a difference in physique for sure.

What you guys are referring to is "High Intensity Interval Training" (HIIT). It's time efficient but grueling and yes, you will see results for sure.

Yeah I hear ya, but are any of us really going to diet the way those guys do? I mean Lance wouldn't even put out during the tours....

Amen brother...so sick of the treadmill...

I don't even do it, I think I've ended up trying about 20 different cardio machines. The worst are the stairs, I'm too clumsy for those damn things.

Take it from someone who has run track for years and is goin to shortly start training for his 1st marathon soon. Running long distance won't make u bloated. And Dewey mentioned the size of sprinters. Sprinters are big due to the High Intensity sessions like u mentioned, but mostly due to their weight lifting sessions. I ran a zillion sprints and didnt gain any muscle mass, cuz i didnt go to the gym back in HS. Sprinters try to put on as much lean muscle mass as the possibly can, especially in the arms and thighs in order to generate the most instantaneous power coming out of the blocks. I've found that a great way to effectively get lean muscle and/or strip fat away from a focus area, is to do w/e workout that aims ur target fat strip area immediatly after an intense cardio session. The cardio session doesnt have to be long, just has to really get ur heart pumping. Then do ur ab workout for example, with no breaks to keep that heart rate up, thats what im bout to start back up on, cuz poor diet/school/winter, has gotten me real outa shape compared to the way i was about 5 months ago.

Take it from someone who has run track for years and is goin to shortly start training for his 1st marathon soon. Running long distance won't make u bloated. And Dewey mentioned the size of sprinters. Sprinters are big due to the High Intensity sessions like u mentioned, but mostly due to their weight lifting sessions. I ran a zillion sprints and didnt gain any muscle mass, cuz i didnt go to the gym back in HS. Sprinters try to put on as much lean muscle mass as the possibly can, especially in the arms and thighs in order to generate the most instantaneous power coming out of the blocks. I've found that a great way to effectively get lean muscle and/or strip fat away from a focus area, is to do w/e workout that aims ur target fat strip area immediatly after an intense cardio session. The cardio session doesnt have to be long, just has to really get ur heart pumping. Then do ur ab workout for example, with no breaks to keep that heart rate up, thats what im bout to start back up on, cuz poor diet/school/winter, has gotten me real outa shape compared to the way i was about 5 months ago.

That has been my key, once I started doing that I saw the biggest differences in the world even with a crap diet.

That has been my key, once I started doing that I saw the biggest differences in the world even with a crap diet.

Same here, i dont think ill ever change my diet. I mostly eat stuff like pizza, hot wings, pasta, and cereal. lol Mix in some Boneless spareribs as well. Dont really eat junk food though, except for Fiery Habanero Doritos, i cant get enough of em. Plus i drink about 2 cans of soda a day, so that cant help. I could only imagine the shape i would be in if i actually ate some fruits and veggies. lol

Yeah I hear ya, but are any of us really going to diet the way those guys do? I mean Lance wouldn't even put out during the tours....

Well, define "diet". Lance Armstrong ingests a ridiculous amount of calories per day when he's training. Like something in the neighborhood of 5,000 to 8,000. And I don't think everything he puts in his body is protein shakes and fiber. He eats lots of stuff that most people avoid when trying to lose weight like pastas and breads.

My point was, if you bike 10-15 miles a day or run 8 miles a day, you're going to lose weight not become bloated. For some, weight loss is a goal.

You shoulda seen my dinners night b4 a cross country race, id have like 2 boxes of pasta and an entire loaf of italian bread. Of course itd take me about 3 hours to eat it but still. lol

Well, define "diet". Lance Armstrong ingests a ridiculous amount of calories per day when he's training. Like something in the neighborhood of 5,000 to 8,000. And I don't think everything he puts in his body is protein shakes and fiber. He eats lots of stuff that most people avoid when trying to lose weight like pastas and breads.

My point was, if you bike 10-15 miles a day or run 8 miles a day, you're going to lose weight not become bloated. For some, weight loss is a goal.

I know he was taking in a ton of calories, and probably more so carbs, but other then that I really don't know. My guess would be that even though he is taking in a crazy amount of calories that they're of the better variety filled with the amino acids and tons of vitamins. However, that's just an assumption.

You shoulda seen my dinners night b4 a cross country race, id have like 2 boxes of pasta and an entire loaf of italian bread. Of course itd take me about 3 hours to eat it but still. lol

I wish. I don't know how old you guys all are but take it from someon in their late 20's now. As you get a little older it becomes obvious that exercise alone will not keep your body in the same shape it did when you were 21.

My advice: Screw it. Eat unhealthy (without being gluttonous) while you can if you know you have the willpower to change your diet when necessary. If you don't think you ever will have that will power, start making healthier decisions with food gradually.

Well i dont eat Ice Cream and stay away from most Trans fats. lol It's a start.

Anyone take an supplements from like bodybuilding.com or GNC?

GNC is a f*cking ripoff. They mark up huge. The guy at my local one gives me a discount but it's still about 20-30% higher than you can get from bodybuilding.com or some other net vendor. Find one just out of state (bodybuilding.com's based in CA i believe) so you can save on tax.

I've experimented w/ several kinds of different fat burners and none work as well as ephedra did. I'm also getting older so whatever i take/do is having less effect every year. I just came off Hydroxycut Hardcore - if you want to feel like you are having a heart attack, do the whole dose the first day. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. But once i started tolerating the ridiculous energy burst it gave me a good pump.

Lipo-6 was aight - it got me pumped energy-wise but no results from the fat-burning angle. Scorch was worthless. Completely worthless.

As far as Muscle Milk is concerned - that s*** is pure calories. I literally gained about 10 lbs of body fat in a week when I started taking it, and that's w/ 30min of high intensity cardio every day and weights 5 days a week. Unless you are a tiny twig trying to GAIN mass i'd stay away. The only reason to take Muscle Milk is for the slow-breakdown casein protein. You can do better with Optimum Nutrition's Casein Powder (at nights) for a lot less cals or just going all natural w/ some cottage cheese before bed.

Personally I'm off all forms of supplements except Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey after lifting sessions. Keeps the muscle mass strong for about 120 cals or so.

My advice: Screw it. Eat unhealthy (without being gluttonous) while you can if you know you have the willpower to change your diet when necessary. If you don't think you ever will have that will power, start making healthier decisions with food gradually.

This is HUGE. My roommate is doing a "Biggest Loser" competition at work and he has this great system where he improves one thing each month (the end of the contest is in like 4-5 months) - starting w/ exercise, then cutting out problem foods. If you go hardcore, yes, people will be impressed at first but when week 4 hits, you get stressed about something and slip somehow you will lose motivation.

GNC is a f*cking ripoff. They mark up huge. The guy at my local one gives me a discount but it's still about 20-30% higher than you can get from bodybuilding.com or some other net vendor. Find one just out of state (bodybuilding.com's based in CA i believe) so you can save on tax.

Oh yeah, I would never get anything from GNC just throwing the name out there as there are a million websites. When I do buy stuff it is usually through bodybuilding.com.

GNC is a f*cking ripoff. They mark up huge.

I agree, I think it's because they monopolized the walk-in store markets. I only go there for convenience or if they have good deals. Sometimed you get name brand for like 40%, then you add in a Gold Card discount and you can get a good deal.

I just came off Hydroxycut Hardcore - if you want to feel like you are having a heart attack, do the whole dose the first day. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.
I'm almost done with my first bottle, I was seeing double when I bumped up the dosage to 3 pills per serving
Lipo-6 was aight

Big fan of Lipo-6 as well. Excllent fat burner, haven't tried the upgrade though.

As far as Muscle Milk is concerned - that s*** is pure calories. I literally gained about 10 lbs of body fat in a week when I started taking it, and that's w/ 30min of high intensity cardio every day and weights 5 days a week.
Muscle Milk is terrible. I had cookies and cream one time and it's literally like eating crushed Oreos with full cream milk. Unless your an offensive lineman, I don't see the point of MM.
Personally I'm off all forms of supplements except Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey.

My personal favorite, cheap (I think you can a 5lb jug for around $35.00), tastes good and effective. Also, it breaks up extremely well...one of the few you can just mix with a spoon.

Anyone take an supplements from like bodybuilding.com or GNC?

I took NO Explode once, it was ok I mean it pumps you up basically like creatine but your body gets used to it so it stops working/you dont feel the effects. The only thing I take from GNC are the Multivitamins, and I get my protein from a friend that works for Advocare. That stuff is amazing, and its actually healthy for you unlike Muscle Milk which is very fattening. I took that a couple of times and the last time I felt so sick from it.

Ive also taken the GNC whey protein and it was ok, I had to mix it with some stuff for shakes but still worked pretty good. But Advocare I put 20 Lbs on my bench in like 3 weeks.

As far as GNC's prices, the only time I go there is the beginning of each month where most of THEIR products are half off if your a gold card member (its free) otherwise I dont bother.

I don't even do it, I think I've ended up trying about 20 different cardio machines. The worst are the stairs, I'm too clumsy for those damn things.
Dude the stairs are rediculous! I did that (Im in Baseball and did it during our offseason) for 20 minutes and holy crap that was one of the hardest cardio workouts ever. My legs literally felt like jello after that.
Big fan of Lipo-6 as well. Excllent fat burner, haven't tried the upgrade though.

Never heard of Lipo-6, what is it?

I just came off Hydroxycut Hardcore - if you want to feel like you are having a heart attack, do the whole dose the first day. I literally thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.

My friend took that and had a peronaly trainer and he lost weight extremely fast, like 20-30 pounds but he still has the extra skin, its gross.

Dude the stairs are rediculous! I did that (Im in Baseball and did it during our offseason) for 20 minutes and holy crap that was one of the hardest cardio workouts ever. My legs literally felt like jello after that.

Hah, yeah no kidding. I used to make fun of my friend who bragged about how long/hard they were before I ever tried them. They are nuts, I hate them.

Never heard of Lipo-6, what is it?

It's a fat-burner that has a base formula of stimulant (synepherine), yohimbine and guggulesterones. I tried it since it had won bodybuilding.com's best fat-burner award last year, I think. Pretty typical thermogenic properties like most fat burners. Read up on bodybuilding.com to learn more about it - apparently paired w/ a typical ECA stack it has pretty good effectiveness, stimulates the thyroid, I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

I think I'm gonna order something new, I don't really need to lose any weight but I think that is my goal. Any suggestions? I just more so need some new motivation for going to the gym more often and longer.