Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tdavis20

Fitness Training

Is it just me or does John Kruk look like he should start off his next commerical by saying " Hi I'm John Kruk and I gained 50 lbs of fat on Nutrisystem? It seems like every night I watch Baseball Tonight he appears to grow right before my very eyes.

Is it just me or does John Kruk look like he should start off his next commerical by saying " Hi I'm John Kruk and I gained 50 lbs of fat on Nutrisystem? It seems like every night I watch Baseball Tonight he appears to grow right before my very eyes.

I see those commercials with Dan Marino and Kruk all the time. I'm always like "ok, those images are touched up". Not the best endorsement in the world.

anyone here a decent runner and know their mile/2 mile times??

i consider myself FAIRLY athletic....i'm 22, starting to work on my 2 mile time and see where I can get it. however i haven't run seriously since HS. just started back running and seem to be shaving time off every run (4 runs total now). right now i'm at 13:07 for 8 laps of the track (3200 m). however it's kind of depressing b/c after seeing the top 50 or so times in high school history for the US, the top time is like 8:30 or something redonkulous. not that i want to compare myself to that, but i'd still want to set a goal around 11 minutes, which seems like a LOOONG ways away.

anyway just curious what good runners out there can run it in. like i honestly thought i was in GREAT physical shape, low BF etc, and do interval training every now and then, yet this 2 mile time thing kinda 'put me in my place'. curious to see if either olympic runners are just THAT much better (ie. 4 minutes better in an 8 lap race B) ) or if theres still a couple levels to go until I can call myself very athletic.

ps. the 8 lap/2 mile race is sooooo grueling wow.

oh and maybe to train for this should i be doing long runs? to increase stamina? instead of running the same 8 lap race every few days. i guess thats the obvious answer, i should be mixing in 5 mile runs etc.

i consider myself FAIRLY athletic....i'm 22, starting to work on my 2 mile time and see where I can get it. however i haven't run seriously since HS. just started back running and seem to be shaving time off every run (4 runs total now). right now i'm at 13:07 for 8 laps of the track (3200 m). however it's kind of depressing b/c after seeing the top 50 or so times in high school history for the US, the top time is like 8:30 or something redonkulous. not that i want to compare myself to that, but i'd still want to set a goal around 11 minutes, which seems like a LOOONG ways away.

anyway just curious what good runners out there can run it in. like i honestly thought i was in GREAT physical shape, low BF etc, and do interval training every now and then, yet this 2 mile time thing kinda 'put me in my place'. curious to see if either olympic runners are just THAT much better (ie. 4 minutes better in an 8 lap race B) ) or if theres still a couple levels to go until I can call myself very athletic.

oh and maybe to train for this should i be doing long runs? to increase stamina? instead of running the same 8 lap race every few days. i guess thats the obvious answer, i should be mixing in 5 mile runs etc.

2 miles straight?? Not for me. I'm still working on my 60 yard dash, which is all I'm really working at. But the only time I was timed in a mile I think it was 7 minutes... something like that. But yeah, for 2 miles, you gotta get your stamina up in anyway. Only real effective way, though, is to keep running.

My 2 mile's are usually around 10:27-10:40.... Keep it up though, you can only get better if you keep working on it.

My 2 mile's are usually around 10:27-10:40.... Keep it up though, you can only get better if you keep working on it.

I don't get how you people can run like that. Lol. Long distance is not my friend.

thats awesome man. amazing almost. how hard do you train for running? and what do you feel is the best way to train for such a race? what type of build are you? (guess that doesnt even matter, i think for this race skinny or muscular could do, not sure tho)

but yeah like houstonyankee said, i think i need to run longer distances mixed in between these races. my stamina isn't where it should be. there are many points of the run i feel i can improve...just dont have the lung capacity i think.

2 miles straight?? Not for me. I'm still working on my 60 yard dash, which is all I'm really working at. But the only time I was timed in a mile I think it was 7 minutes... something like that. But yeah, for 2 miles, you gotta get your stamina up in anyway. Only real effective way, though, is to keep running.

60 yard dash eh. man havent timed myself in sprints in forever. never was a great sprinter anyway but i think i should practise it to help my run. start doing weights for my legs too which i rarely do.

I don't get how you people can run like that. Lol. Long distance is not my friend.

I hate running. Absolutely despise it. It's so incredibly boring to me. I love it when it's mixed with a sport like playing soccer, or baseball, or anything really. Running by itself is just so blahhhh

thats awesome man. amazing almost. how hard do you train for running? and what do you feel is the best way to train for such a race? what type of build are you? (guess that doesnt even matter, i think for this race skinny or muscular could do, not sure tho)

I've never been on a track team, or anything. So you'd have to ask someone else what the best training is. I'm just doing it with my buddy, just so we know we're in great shape.

I have a very small build. 5'7 135-140 lbs. Never measured, but very very low body fat. Everything on me that can be, is muscle.

I've do as much as I can. I run with a weight sled for short distances. I have speed parachutes. And I live less than a mile from a track, so I generally jog to that to do most of my running. I run for as long as my body will take it and then try to run longer.

but yeah like houstonyankee said, i think i need to run longer distances mixed in between these races. my stamina isn't where it should be. there are many points of the run i feel i can improve...just dont have the lung capacity i think.

Always keep your body guessing. That's usually the best way to strengthen something. Just keep at it.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had asthma since I was born, so there's hope. Don't give up at it or make excuses for yourself. If you want it bad enough and your goal is physically possible, you can do it.

Quickster is the resident runner. He's the best person to ask IMO

I hate running. Absolutely despise it. It's so incredibly boring to me. I love it when it's mixed with a sport like playing soccer, or baseball, or anything really. Running by itself is just so blahhhh

I've never been on a track team, or anything. So you'd have to ask someone else what the best training is. I'm just doing it with my buddy, just so we know we're in great shape.

I have a very small build. 5'7 135-140 lbs. Never measured, but very very low body fat. Everything on me that can be, is muscle.

I've do as much as I can. I run with a weight sled for short distances. I have speed parachutes. And I live less than a mile from a track, so I generally jog to that to do most of my running. I run for as long as my body will take it and then try to run longer.

Always keep your body guessing. That's usually the best way to strengthen something. Just keep at it.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had asthma since I was born, so there's hope. Don't give up at it or make excuses for yourself. If you want it bad enough and your goal is physically possible, you can do it.

Quickster is the resident runner. He's the best person to ask IMO

thanks for all the info. its kind of inspirational cuz i'm only 5'8 around 155-160, so it gives hope to us small ppl. and yeah i def am not the giving up type and push myself to limits beyond what most can handle so i needn't worry about that. which is why i was disappointed to see i was so far off the best times for the race having thought i was in excellent shape. granted i never trained for it or did much running recently, yet in may and june i was doing intense interval training but clearly not much stamina cuz its showing. just proves that you can LOOK as fit as possible (ie body fat, good muscle mass) and still not be actually athletic ie running/heart, etc.

thanks for all the info. its kind of inspirational cuz i'm only 5'8 around 155-160, so it gives hope to us small ppl. and yeah i def am not the giving up type and push myself to limits beyond what most can handle so i needn't worry about that. which is why i was disappointed to see i was so far off the best times for the race having thought i was in excellent shape. granted i never trained for it or did much running recently, yet in may and june i was doing intense interval training but clearly not much stamina cuz its showing. just proves that you can LOOK as fit as possible (ie body fat, good muscle mass) and still not be actually athletic ie running/heart, etc.

Yea, I found that out the hard way when I started my summer program. But me and my friend, more or less physically beat the pulp out of our bodies for 3 hours a day 5 days a week, just so we can get better. And scary as it sounds, it's a fun process haha

Yeah, just keep running a lot and strengthen your legs. But keep weight training to a minimum if you wanna run long distance. I lift lots of weights, and that can slow you down big time. Hence, my inability to run for a long time. But I play baseball, so sprints are of great importance to me.

Yeah, just keep running a lot and strengthen your legs. But keep weight training to a minimum if you wanna run long distance. I lift lots of weights, and that can slow you down big time. Hence, my inability to run for a long time. But I play baseball, so sprints are of great importance to me.

see i'm not sure bout the weights part and this 2 mile run. like i def don't want to lose much muscle mass. i feel as if the 2 mile run is a fast enough race where you can 'hopefully' have a fairly good proportion of muscle mass on your body. but then again you could be right, and the muscle mass I have (a fair bit for my size..160) could be something in the way of me getting to a sub 11 minute time. not sure how the science behind it works.

whatever, i'll just continue to go hard with the weights...and also the running, mixing in 5 mile runs with 2 mile runs and see where i'm at in a little while. if i plateau say next summer and i can't get a better time witht he body i have, i'll be ok with that, cuz i dont really want to lose muscle mass, and am not joining any track clubs or nething, just want to be in great 'athletic' shape to go along with the 'body'. find that balance of athletecism/running and defined/being able to lift hard.

still a loooong ways to go tho, basically haven't trained my legs much, other than the running miles i've put on over the years. so they're def decent from HIIT especially, but nowhere close to where a real athlete needs to be imo. hopefully start some plyometrics next year too.

Gotlaid and skoodog

no no for sure it's not race related but like you mentioned it does have to do with genetics... and it goes way back to times of slavery. I mean when african americans were selected as slaves they go after the bigger ones, so generally speaking the african americans who were victims of slavery are genetically predisposed to muscular development than perhaps their white counter parts. So I mean it is kinda stereotype but there is a scientific basis for that stereotype.

Sorry guys to hijack this thread, but i have to get this off my chest......

Genetics need more than 200 years to actually change you......it's a very slow process.....

I just wanna respond to this 1/2 truth myth because yes genetics do play a role in predispositions, but what about the cultural ascpets of things here...........seriously what about the rest of the african americans that can't run/jump/dunk or catch a football (and there is a lot of them).........

and to prove your point.....BASEBALL is full whites and latinos, doe that make them better at baseball, NO, it's just that baseball isn't a sport practiced much in african american communities and in the poor hoods, it costs too damn much..... football and basketball come cheaper.

it's sad that people think this when everyone has the potential to do it...if you're young and healthy.....get in the gym and work out and stop using crap as excuses.......

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT RACE YOU ARE.

Read this...

http://madsci.org/posts/archives/2002-03/1...79056.Ge.r.html

http://www.kenanmalik.com/essays/olympics.html

Now go and lift and eat right.. B)

I didn't say it was the main factor in determining why someone is more "fit" than others, what I alluded to was that genetics definitely plays a role in the physicality of a person. If a person has a muscular lineage chances are they are going to be of muscular lineage. Whether they use that lineage or not it's going to be there.

And it does have to do with cultural factors as well, where you live and what sports you partake in is controlled by the environment in which you live in. You can't expect someone to just pick up a baseball bat and hit at a ball without ever playing the game.

I've been reading bb.com and looking at their products and after about a month off from not working out and 2 weeks after I got my tonsils out/deviated septum fixed I've decided to get back to working out. Ive lost atleast 15 pounds from the surgeries which is not good... (I was at 175-180 at 6'1 so I was already small but Im now down to the 150-160 range) and I probably lost all the work I did for so long. I go down to LSU next week and theres 2 good things about that. I will have more time to work out and at the fitness center at the school they have free nutrionist and personal trainers (just need the nutrionist really) and if I can get the meals down I will be making the gains back very fast hopefully.

Arizona, I was just wondering what type of creatine and WHEY protein you would recommend from bb.com. I saw that they have protein-creatine already mixed in there but Im not sure I would like that. When I used to shop at GNC I did try the Optimum 100% WHEY protein but im not sure I saw a big difference then the stuff I currently use.

Wow, havent visited this thread in a few weeks. I see RSD referred me bout the running. Unfortunatly i have to start getting ready for work. If i have time b4 i go, I'll give you my thoughts Miggy. I havent read through the entire thread bout the running though, so i can probably give you my best thoughts when i get home at around 10.

FWIW, Im not much of a distance runner, although I know how to train for it. I run the 800(1/2 mile) in about 2:05-2:10, Mile in bout 5 flat. 2 mile in the mid 10's. 5k (about 3.1-3.2 miles) in like 18:30.

Correction, I ran those times back when i was in distance shape. Now i pretty much just run half miles or less. And im best at the 400. Like i said, I'll tell ya what i know when i get the chance.

I've been reading bb.com and looking at their products and after about a month off from not working out and 2 weeks after I got my tonsils out/deviated septum fixed I've decided to get back to working out. Ive lost atleast 15 pounds from the surgeries which is not good... (I was at 175-180 at 6'1 so I was already small but Im now down to the 150-160 range) and I probably lost all the work I did for so long. I go down to LSU next week and theres 2 good things about that. I will have more time to work out and at the fitness center at the school they have free nutrionist and personal trainers (just need the nutrionist really) and if I can get the meals down I will be making the gains back very fast hopefully.

Arizona, I was just wondering what type of creatine and WHEY protein you would recommend from bb.com. I saw that they have protein-creatine already mixed in there but Im not sure I would like that. When I used to shop at GNC I did try the Optimum 100% WHEY protein but im not sure I saw a big difference then the stuff I currently use.

TD I wouldn't be concerned that you don't feel you've seen a difference in the brands of Whey you use. Your a lean guy and any brand of whey protein isn't going to give you immediate noticable results. Remember to use it as a supplement and not a meal replacement. Use it directly after weight training and in between meals. If gaining wt/muscle is your goal mix it with peanut butter, banana's, and lowfat milk instead of water. Also make sure your not consuming a whey drink within 1 1/2 hours of your most recent meal. Your body can only assimulate so much protein at one time (or food for that matter ) and any more will end up in the toilet instead of being used to build lean muscle tissue.

When I recommend any creatine or whey supplement it's not necessarily because they work better than other reputable competitors product but because they are a better value than other products. This is the very reason I stay away from products like ISOTECH that spend way too much money advertising their products in all of the muscle mags, and then pass that extra cost on to their customers making it a horrible value.

Here is a good creatine on sale at BB.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/hp/creatine.html

And this is the whey I'm trying next after I finish my current stash

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bioplex/100whey.html

Lol it's $173.00 but it's a 22lb crate containing over 380 servings. This will last most people about 6 months at two servings per day.

Here is another good value product without having to lay out so much coin at one time.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/whey.html

The Scivation is good stuff and will last you about 2 1/2 months. 22 grams of protein per serving with a good amount of glutamine

I've had clients that were looking to gain wt/muscle get good results using a casein protein right before bedtime in addition to using whey twice per day. Casein is a little more expensive than whey but its a good time release protein to saturate your muscles for growth while you sleep.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/matrix.html

Keep up the hard training!

see i'm not sure bout the weights part and this 2 mile run. like i def don't want to lose much muscle mass. i feel as if the 2 mile run is a fast enough race where you can 'hopefully' have a fairly good proportion of muscle mass on your body. but then again you could be right, and the muscle mass I have (a fair bit for my size..160) could be something in the way of me getting to a sub 11 minute time. not sure how the science behind it works.

whatever, i'll just continue to go hard with the weights...and also the running, mixing in 5 mile runs with 2 mile runs and see where i'm at in a little while. if i plateau say next summer and i can't get a better time witht he body i have, i'll be ok with that, cuz i dont really want to lose muscle mass, and am not joining any track clubs or nething, just want to be in great 'athletic' shape to go along with the 'body'. find that balance of athletecism/running and defined/being able to lift hard.

still a loooong ways to go tho, basically haven't trained my legs much, other than the running miles i've put on over the years. so they're def decent from HIIT especially, but nowhere close to where a real athlete needs to be imo. hopefully start some plyometrics next year too.

If you weigh 160 or so, you should be able to hit the sub 11 mark. Keep this in mind though, i doesnt matter how hard you train, endurance isnt just learned by the body, a lot of it is also natural. I know all about how you're suposed to train, eat, and prepare for long distance races, but i am a natural middle distance runner (sub 1600m), so no matter what, my peak would still be mediocre compared to the real good distance runners.

Now while having a muscular build is much better for sprinting, distance running can still be successfully acomplished with a more muscular figure. First thing for distance, DO NOT LIFT ANY LEG WEIGHTS!!!. Beleive it or not, lean leg muscles are better, and use the running you do as your leg muscule workout.

A two mile race is fairly simple to train for, now i'll assume you run 5 days a week and give you my suggestions for what to do. Monday's should be your speed day. If you're gonna break your time, your gonna need good acceleration and a closing kick. Plus the easier it is for your body to go fast, the less energy you exert early to achieve that speed. Id say, do something like 4 half miles,4 quarter miles, 4 200's, and 4 100's. IDK if you run on a track or in a park or w/e, but if you dont run on a track, then once you get to the 200's, just figure 200's will take about 25-30 secs of basically a pure sprint, and 100 is basically 13 secs of a pure sprint. If that workout is too much for you at first, then do 3 reps of each, if it's too easy, then do 5.

Tuesday's, Wednesday's, and Thursday's will be your distance days. W/e distance you train for that is above 800m (1/2 mile), you should always run more then that in your practices believe it or not. So i say run 3-5 miles a day, and dont run the miles for the sake or running the miles. If you're hitting 12ish on 2 mile runs, then you should be round 20-21 on 3 miles. 5 miles should be around 30-35 minutes.

Friday's should be an easy day to lead you into the weekend, or that could be your "race" day. If you want it to be race day, this will be a good way to prepare yourself to break your time. Run a warm up 400m (quarter mile). Then stretch. Stretch really well too, dont want any tightness that may affect your stride. Then after that you should be good.

Since you're running a lot of distance, make sure you have a lot of carbs in your diet. And if you're really serious bout breakin times with your "races", then you should have a box of pasta the night before. Always best for distance.

Hope you have decent running shoe's. Believe it or not, they do wonders. And when you run, make sure your arms are hanging by your hips, not up to your mid section or pecs. When i get tired i alwas catch my arms rising to my upper body, and that is a no-no. Any questions feel free to ask.

If you weigh 160 or so, you should be able to hit the sub 11 mark. Keep this in mind though, i doesnt matter how hard you train, endurance isnt just learned by the body, a lot of it is also natural. I know all about how you're suposed to train, eat, and prepare for long distance races, but i am a natural middle distance runner (sub 1600m), so no matter what, my peak would still be mediocre compared to the real good distance runners.

Now while having a muscular build is much better for sprinting, distance running can still be successfully acomplished with a more muscular figure. First thing for distance, DO NOT LIFT ANY LEG WEIGHTS!!!. Beleive it or not, lean leg muscles are better, and use the running you do as your leg muscule workout.

A two mile race is fairly simple to train for, now i'll assume you run 5 days a week and give you my suggestions for what to do. Monday's should be your speed day. If you're gonna break your time, your gonna need good acceleration and a closing kick. Plus the easier it is for your body to go fast, the less energy you exert early to achieve that speed. Id say, do something like 4 half miles,4 quarter miles, 4 200's, and 4 100's. IDK if you run on a track or in a park or w/e, but if you dont run on a track, then once you get to the 200's, just figure 200's will take about 25-30 secs of basically a pure sprint, and 100 is basically 13 secs of a pure sprint. If that workout is too much for you at first, then do 3 reps of each, if it's too easy, then do 5.

Tuesday's, Wednesday's, and Thursday's will be your distance days. W/e distance you train for that is above 800m (1/2 mile), you should always run more then that in your practices believe it or not. So i say run 3-5 miles a day, and dont run the miles for the sake or running the miles. If you're hitting 12ish on 2 mile runs, then you should be round 20-21 on 3 miles. 5 miles should be around 30-35 minutes.

Friday's should be an easy day to lead you into the weekend, or that could be your "race" day. If you want it to be race day, this will be a good way to prepare yourself to break your time. Run a warm up 400m (quarter mile). Then stretch. Stretch really well too, dont want any tightness that may affect your stride. Then after that you should be good.

Since you're running a lot of distance, make sure you have a lot of carbs in your diet. And if you're really serious bout breakin times with your "races", then you should have a box of pasta the night before. Always best for distance.

Hope you have decent running shoe's. Believe it or not, they do wonders. And when you run, make sure your arms are hanging by your hips, not up to your mid section or pecs. When i get tired i alwas catch my arms rising to my upper body, and that is a no-no. Any questions feel free to ask.

bro i really appreciate all of that. it sounds like you're just overall real keen about running and thats awesome. I hope to be there at some point, although right now getting through my last semester of undergrad might slow me down a little. Nonetheless I will try bits and pieces of your program on a smaller scale maybe 3-4 days a week. I've read about the importance of speed work elsewhere as well so it's def something I want to start doing. As for the leg muscle part, thats a huge relief! lol. But I think you may be right, b/c my legs are fairly muscular already just from a few years of HIIT work, not to mention my whole youth playing competitive sports, mainly hockey, soccer and cross country.

One thing that worries me about running so often is injury, present and future. Don't you think running 5 times a week could be harmful if not now, down the road? Also I used to get pretty bad shinsplints at the end of high school, which was the reason I didn't run much first few years of uni. It seems to be much better these days, but every so often after maybe consecutive days of running I'll feel some soreness in the shins (mild albeit) and it scares me. I generally try not to run hard on consecutive days and mix in cycling at the gym as often as I can. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and mild pain there is typical, but getting shin splints was nearly depressing as the right thing to do is usually stop running for months (depending on severity obviously). I compare them to groin injuries in hockey...they both seem so 'soft' but they're both probably the worst/most lingering injuries it seems.

As for the shoes i'm very surprised those kind of shoes are so cheap I had no idea. Considering I'm not really too serious about training (yet) I have stuck to my normal running shoes, but everywhere I read says proper running shoes are extremely important. I run this shoe: http://www.shoedeals4u.com/images/shoes/large/562525.jpg Could you notify me of the advantages I would get from a proper track shoe or running shoe like the ones you posted? Is it more for performance, or injury prevention, etc? Also would it be important you think to identify what type of foot/sole i have?

Anyway appreciate everything. I doubt I will be getting too serious until 2009, but I will still incorporate this stuff into my training now/during my upcoming semester. And hopefully I can hit the ground running come 09 when I have school out of the way.

bro i really appreciate all of that. it sounds like you're just overall real keen about running and thats awesome. I hope to be there at some point, although right now getting through my last semester of undergrad might slow me down a little. Nonetheless I will try bits and pieces of your program on a smaller scale maybe 3-4 days a week. I've read about the importance of speed work elsewhere as well so it's def something I want to start doing. As for the leg muscle part, thats a huge relief! lol. But I think you may be right, b/c my legs are fairly muscular already just from a few years of HIIT work, not to mention my whole youth playing competitive sports, mainly hockey, soccer and cross country.

One thing that worries me about running so often is injury, present and future. Don't you think running 5 times a week could be harmful if not now, down the road? Also I used to get pretty bad shinsplints at the end of high school, which was the reason I didn't run much first few years of uni. It seems to be much better these days, but every so often after maybe consecutive days of running I'll feel some soreness in the shins (mild albeit) and it scares me. I generally try not to run hard on consecutive days and mix in cycling at the gym as often as I can. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and mild pain there is typical, but getting shin splints was nearly depressing as the right thing to do is usually stop running for months (depending on severity obviously). I compare them to groin injuries in hockey...they both seem so 'soft' but they're both probably the worst/most lingering injuries it seems.

As for the shoes i'm very surprised those kind of shoes are so cheap I had no idea. Considering I'm not really too serious about training (yet) I have stuck to my normal running shoes, but everywhere I read says proper running shoes are extremely important. I run this shoe: http://www.shoedeals4u.com/images/shoes/large/562525.jpg Could you notify me of the advantages I would get from a proper track shoe or running shoe like the ones you posted? Is it more for performance, or injury prevention, etc? Also would it be important you think to identify what type of foot/sole i have?

Anyway appreciate everything. I doubt I will be getting too serious until 2009, but I will still incorporate this stuff into my training now/during my upcoming semester. And hopefully I can hit the ground running come 09 when I have school out of the way.

I def here you bout getting time to run. I have only train sporadically since i started college, and really only run now when i play a sport. Which is thankfully still a lot, but it's not at the level of when i would train.

Those shoe's look ok, but they look a bit heavy, which can give you those dreaded shin splints. I'd want running shoes that are 10 oz's or less. About shin splints, I only had em once for about 2 weeks. And i def have to agree, they are a bitch to deal with. The best way really to deal with shin splints if you want to run through them, is to tape up your shin(s) with ace bandages b4 a run. It worlds a pretty good deal.

The reason why you may be apt to getting the shin splints could be your running style too. Make sure that you're pusing off your toes and not your foot. I run awkwardly in a sense where i basically always run on my toes. Like im running on my tippy toes but in really fast stride. So when you see it, you dont notice it, but i do. Im not at all suggesting run on your toes all the way though, cuz thats a no-no really for distance. Your calves will tighten up half way through the run, which is why i have to stretch my calves for like 10 minutes nonstop to do a distance run. But if you are ever wanting to get bigger calves, run like me. lol

Also, dont stop short, ever. And when you run, the heel's of your foot should never hit the ground, thats putting shock directly to your shins. If your shins feel even the slightest bit sore, ice em at night just to be safe.

Running isnt harmful now or down the road if you know what your doing. Having proper form and shoes goes a long way in staying healthy. And there's no question the wonders running does for you cardiovascularly.

And if it helps at all, Im 5'8 150, and i believe you said you were like 5'8 160 or so, so what worked for me will probably work for you. Although everyones body is still different so who knows.

I def here you bout getting time to run. I have only train sporadically since i started college, and really only run now when i play a sport. Which is thankfully still a lot, but it's not at the level of when i would train.

Those shoe's look ok, but they look a bit heavy, which can give you those dreaded shin splints. I'd want running shoes that are 10 oz's or less. About shin splints, I only had em once for about 2 weeks. And i def have to agree, they are a bitch to deal with. The best way really to deal with shin splints if you want to run through them, is to tape up your shin(s) with ace bandages b4 a run. It worlds a pretty good deal.

The reason why you may be apt to getting the shin splints could be your running style too. Make sure that you're pusing off your toes and not your foot. I run awkwardly in a sense where i basically always run on my toes. Like im running on my tippy toes but in really fast stride. So when you see it, you dont notice it, but i do. Im not at all suggesting run on your toes all the way though, cuz thats a no-no really for distance. Your calves will tighten up half way through the run, which is why i have to stretch my calves for like 10 minutes nonstop to do a distance run. But if you are ever wanting to get bigger calves, run like me. lol

Also, dont stop short, ever. And when you run, the heel's of your foot should never hit the ground, thats putting shock directly to your shins. If your shins feel even the slightest bit sore, ice em at night just to be safe.

Running isnt harmful now or down the road if you know what your doing. Having proper form and shoes goes a long way in staying healthy. And there's no question the wonders running does for you cardiovascularly.

And if it helps at all, Im 5'8 150, and i believe you said you were like 5'8 160 or so, so what worked for me will probably work for you. Although everyones body is still different so who knows.

yeah you you're probably right about the running style contributing to shin splints b/c I've been told I have an awkward running style in my high school days. I used to have a big problem with overstriding, which probably increased the impact and stress my feet/shins took on each stride considering I was using less strides to cover more ground. and I'm not even totally sure how much impact my heel makes, if any at all, I'll pay closer attention to that on my next run.

Yeah my shoes do look a lot heavier than the ones you posted, and for the price of those, it would be stupid not to try them out at least. Can't really go wrong with 40 bucks.

Anyway good stuff. One things for sure, there are very few things imo anyway that gratify me the way running does after a hard run. Might be hell during the run, paritucularly when you're against the clock, but it's extremely rewarding in so many different ways.

yeah you you're probably right about the running style contributing to shin splints b/c I've been told I have an awkward running style in my high school days. I used to have a big problem with overstriding, which probably increased the impact and stress my feet/shins took on each stride considering I was using less strides to cover more ground. and I'm not even totally sure how much impact my heel makes, if any at all, I'll pay closer attention to that on my next run.

Yeah my shoes do look a lot heavier than the ones you posted, and for the price of those, it would be stupid not to try them out at least. Can't really go wrong with 40 bucks.

Anyway good stuff. One things for sure, there are very few things imo anyway that gratify me the way running does after a hard run. Might be hell during the run, paritucularly when you're against the clock, but it's extremely rewarding in so many different ways.

That's exactly how i feel bout distance running. I hate it while im doin it, but when it's done IDK, i feel idk i guess gratified really is the best term.

And yea, overstriding would cause your heels to collapse to the ground cuz of the angle in which your foot would hit the ground. Or at least that's what happens to me when i overstride, but i cant say for sure with u cuz idk how much you would overstride by, so it might not necesarily be the problem. The shoe's could be the biggest culprit but again idk the weight of the ones you use now.

When i said i got shin splints once, i forgot to tell you how i did. One day, i forgot to bring my running shoes to Cross Country practice. And being the ignorant dope i was then, i ran 3 miles in my hightops. lol. They were so heavy and i ran so slow, that the worst kid on the team beat me running the coarse that day. And i'd usually beat em by about 3 minutes every time. Well,next day, i get up, and can barely walk. lol My shins were done for a good two weeks. Unfortunatly i ran through it anyway. But I never forgot my shoes again.

I didn't say it was the main factor in determining why someone is more "fit" than others, what I alluded to was that genetics definitely plays a role in the physicality of a person. If a person has a muscular lineage chances are they are going to be of muscular lineage. Whether they use that lineage or not it's going to be there.

And it does have to do with cultural factors as well, where you live and what sports you partake in is controlled by the environment in which you live in. You can't expect someone to just pick up a baseball bat and hit at a ball without ever playing the game.

yeah that's cool man, i understand your reply clearly.

it's just something that a lot of people say around me....and not many want to discuss it because it's taboo in this society and the political correctness.

so the stereotypes don't change because nobody talks honestly about anything of this sorts.

anyway enough of my lecture.....keep lifting and hit those stadium bleachers every morning!!! B)

Dang ive been reading Bodybuilding.com for about the last hour and Im going to try and do the 12 week program this guy put on there. Its pretty nice he gives you a list of foods to eat and what days to work out and what days you should do aerobic training. Basically the guy said to:

Eat 6 meals a day with the foods on the list

Have an off day out of the week to where you can eat whatever you want

Workout 3 days out of the week and do aerobic training 3 other days out of the week with an off day

Have atleast 4-7 days rest before working out the same body parts (ex: Day 1-Chest, Day 5- Chest)

and im sure theres a bunch I've missed but I will add on later when i finish reading.