Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parrothead

Outdated concepts in sports...

So often in some of the Commissioner corner questions, I will see people looking for advice on draft order or set up. To me, they are flawed in most real-life set ups, let alone in a fantasy sport.

1. Draft - In particular the determination of the draft order by reverse order of record. Most professional drafts have pre-dated these leagues inclusion of free agency as a method to make their teams better and with free agency (or pending FA) has come more trading. So in a lot of ways the NBA has it right, in the lottery, but all sports should, and do it an equally weighted lottery for all non playoff teams. While the professional athletes are often trying their best to win the games, the reality is that often the front office sees the benefits of losing, this is not good for anyone.

2. Divisions - most of these seemed set up at a time when travel was done by train or even commercial flights? With the player mobility these days, does the next generation of fan really buy into the concept of regional rivalries? The best teams should make the post-season, not the ones who get there because of a soft-division schedule?

3. Conferences - this is particular for the NBA. Just figure out a way to eliminate conferences and seed teams 1-16 in playoffs. Probably in MLB (at least until NL goes DH which will be a long time I assume) that sport needs the two seperate leagues.

So often in some of the Commissioner corner questions, I will see people looking for advice on draft order or set up. To me, they are flawed in most real-life set ups, let alone in a fantasy sport.

1. Draft - In particular the determination of the draft order by reverse order of record. Most professional drafts have pre-dated these leagues inclusion of free agency as a method to make their teams better and with free agency (or pending FA) has come more trading. So in a lot of ways the NBA has it right, in the lottery, but all sports should, and do it an equally weighted lottery for all non playoff teams. While the professional athletes are often trying their best to win the games, the reality is that often the front office sees the benefits of losing, this is not good for anyone.

This has been one of my preach points for the the NBA. They should keep the lottery system but make every team eligible and use it for all 30 draft positions. The last place team gets 30 ping-pong balls. The championship team gets 1 ping-pong ball. While the bottom teams still have the best odds at a top pick they're not as good as in the current format and now all teams are in the hunt for a top pick. One simple fix and suddenly the incentive to tank isn't quite what it was. You also improve the overall quality of play as teams aren't tanking and as an added bonus more fans are paying attention to the lottery.

This has been one of my preach points for the the NBA. They should keep the lottery system but make every team eligible and use it for all 30 draft positions. The last place team gets 30 ping-pong balls. The championship team gets 1 ping-pong ball. While the bottom teams still have the best odds at a top pick they're not as good as in the current format and now all teams are in the hunt for a top pick. One simple fix and suddenly the incentive to tank isn't quite what it was. You also improve the overall quality of play as teams aren't tanking and as an added bonus more fans are paying attention to the lottery.

I like it...the NBA is a wreck when it comes to this, basically each season teams enter the season as window dressing. The NBA is mostly about "who is at the top of your roster?" and when you look at Championships won since 1980, despite the fact they claim to have a fair system with the Lottery and first major professional league to have a salary cap, the NBA has had far fewer franchises win a title than the other leagues, they have had 9 franchises win 35 years of titles and when you remove the Mavs, Sixers and Rockets, 6 Franchises have won 31 of the last 35 titles.

Whenever you are willing to trade an active player for someone who has retired or is injured and out for the season because that retiring or injured player has a contract that expires at the end of the season, you know that system is flawed.

Personally I would like your system, but not weighted from 1-30 but reverse weighted from the non-playoff teams highest to lowest. So the team that just barely misses the playoffs gets the most ping pong balls.

I'm under the impression that the current method of the draft lottery in the NBA is aimed towards keeping the league more balanced. The worst team has the best chance to improve their team through the draft, the second worst team has the next best chance, and so on through the fourteenth worst team. Unfortunately, this does lead to tanking because, as you mention, front offices see an advantage in losing intentionally.

However, an equally weighted lottery takes away the aforementioned balance that the league aims for by giving worse teams a better chance at landing the top draft pick. IMHO, an equally weighted lottery would be unfair. There is the chance that the fourteenth worst team lands the #1 draft pick while the worst team lands the #14 draft pick. Theoretically, the worst team could continue having this same bad luck for multiple consecutive seasons, and that could leave the team in a bind for many years, unable to rely on the draft to help them out. So while this lottery method would get rid of tanking, it could also lead to the league becoming unbalanced. JMO ofc...

But I do definitely agree with you on the need to eliminate conferences. Top 16 teams in the playoffs, no questions asked. It's absurd that the Pelicans and Suns may not make the playoffs while the Celtics, Nets, Pacers, or Heat might.

I hate divisions and conferences. Especially when it comes to football and basketball. In the NBA, there are about 3-4 teams from the West every year that would make the playoffs in the East based off record. That bothers me. And then a perfect example this year for football, 7-8-1 Carolina gets in the playoffs over Philadelphia (10-6) and SF (8-8). You can even take the NFL example farther including teams in the AFC. There were five teams with better records than the Panthers that didn't makes the playoffs; Buffalo, Houston, KC, San Diego all (9-7), along with Miami (8-8).

I understand divisions create rivalries which adds a unique intangible to each sport, which I agree is important. And the only way to make division have any importance, the winner has to make the playoffs. So, we are going to continue to see teams with better records than division winners not make the playoffs.

One concept I hate is defense wins championships. Both are of equal importance. Everything being equal, I'll take an elite offense/average defense over an average offense/elite defense.

A couple things I really hate with baseball are the no salary cap, and the All-Star game determining home field advantage in the world series. First, no salary cap just makes it completely unfair for small market teams. They don't generate enough revenue to pay the high priced free agents. New York, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles dominate the free agent market. It's hard for teams that develop elite prospects to hang onto them. And with the All-Star game, determining home field advantage couldn't be any worse of an idea. All-Star games are exhibition games for the fans. They really shouldn't have any affect on the actual season, and determining home field advantage dramatically affects things. No other All-Star game means anything for it's collective sport, and for good reason.

Last thing I hate is the one and done rule in college basketball. Why on Earth force the kids that are clearly ready to make the jump to the NBA waste a year in college? I actually did some research a while back comparing the success rates of guys who entered the draft straight from HS versus guys who played one year of college. I took 1995 (the year Garnett entered and began the landslide of HS players leaving) through 2005 I believe. And ironically, the success rate of HS players versus one and done guys was higher. Think of all the superstars that went straight from HS to the NBA; Garnett, Kobe, McGrady, Lebron, Stoudemire, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard, Jermaine Oneal, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

The success rate is proof that plenty of these guys don't need a year of college. On top of that, they are adults being 18 years old. 18 year olds are allowed to join the army, get a job anywhere, etc etc. They shouldn't be forced to wait a year. I've heard the NFL argument about making guys play three years before entering the NFL. That's completely different. The NFL is a violent, contact sport. There aren't many 18 year old who are physically mature enough or strong enough to play in the NFL. That rule is for safety so those dudes don't get killed on Sunday.

I'm under the impression that the current method of the draft lottery in the NBA is aimed towards keeping the league more balanced. The worst team has the best chance to improve their team through the draft, the second worst team has the next best chance, and so on through the fourteenth worst team. Unfortunately, this does lead to tanking because, as you mention, front offices see an advantage in losing intentionally.

However, an equally weighted lottery takes away the aforementioned balance that the league aims for by giving worse teams a better chance at landing the top draft pick. IMHO, an equally weighted lottery would be unfair. There is the chance that the fourteenth worst team lands the #1 draft pick while the worst team lands the #14 draft pick. Theoretically, the worst team could continue having this same bad luck for multiple consecutive seasons, and that could leave the team in a bind for many years, unable to rely on the draft to help them out. So while this lottery method would get rid of tanking, it could also lead to the league becoming unbalanced. JMO ofc...

But I do definitely agree with you on the need to eliminate conferences. Top 16 teams in the playoffs, no questions asked. It's absurd that the Pelicans and Suns may not make the playoffs while the Celtics, Nets, Pacers, or Heat might.

You are right, that was the original intent, but that was before salary cap, free agency, etc. Why is a team bad now? Because they mismanage their cap, because they trade away functional players for expiring contracts which gives them both an advantage by losing in the regular season to improve their draft position and in free agency? Its not good for the sport or the brand of the league. IMO fans should never be in a position where they are rooting for their team to lose. You should never see signs up saying "Suck for Luck".

You are right, that was the original intent, but that was before salary cap, free agency, etc. Why is a team bad now? Because they mismanage their cap, because they trade away functional players for expiring contracts which gives them both an advantage by losing in the regular season to improve their draft position and in free agency? Its not good for the sport or the brand of the league. IMO fans should never be in a position where they are rooting for their team to lose. You should never see signs up saying "Suck for Luck".
Agreed on most points, but in the NBA in particular, the market you're in is a really important factor that has nothing to do with front office aptitude.