deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

Interesting prospect with tons of upside. He's played fairly well given his age over the last few years. Last year he broke his finger and missed a good portion of the season. He has an 80 speed grade from fangraphs and stole 49 bases in 64 games in 2013. That's a lot.... And he supposedly has some nice pop as well. So if that develops, look out. Turns 20 in June.

Defensively he's legit, so he should stay at SS which really boosts his upside.

Swing looks nice. It's quiet and simple with a short stride. No glaring issues I can see.

Someone who could definitely shoot up lists this year. Keep a watch out.

Edited by deuce4off

I'm a huge fan of Mateo. I have him on my dynasty league team and he's one of the guys that I would have a tough time trading. Seriously, this guy could be a .285 - 12 HR - 70 steal guy...at SS. I'm not projecting that...just saying that the upside is there.

True 80 speed is rare!

• Like 1

Same here. 80 speed but with the ability/potential to add average power all at the SS position? Yes please

If you really want to dream this guy could be prime Jose Reyes.

• Like 2

guess he has a while before he comes up?

Yes. My aggressive guess would be three years minimum.

15 sb's in 14 games. No power to speak of, but at least hitting .296 with a .367 obp.

At work, so rather than re-type from the 2015 Breakout thread (which only lasts a year)...

From the international-so-young-when-signed-they-are-only-now-hitting-the-radar:

Jorge Mateo SS NYY - my favorite SS breakout, advanced feel for contact, true 80 speed, and unlike most SS/MI candidates, average power - the NYY media like most major markets tends to overhype guys like these, only having been in rookie-ball/low-A, but the Reyes skill set ceiling is fair (also miles away, so lots of risk, like with Albies, but when you draft in dynasties, going for the gold better than going for lower-ceiling guys if they're all far away).

The hype machine on Mateo will be nuts if he can keep a good eye and decent contact skills, because he's a true 80 speed player, and he looks to actually have an idea on basestealing, which translates to season-leader, difference-maker-on-his-own type speed. The Reyes skill set comps are going to be repeated over & over (somewhat misleading, as Mateo is incredibly raw at D, and won't have the switch-hitter advantage, either, but the speed/run/OBP skills do favor well with a Reyes ceiling, with average power he sure looks incredibly promising).

Mateo may not be showing any power right now, but it's the projection of average power, and the ability to stick at SS, and his age at the level he's playing at, all of which really separates him, given he has legit bat skills, and true 80, elite speed. A true SB-overall-leader ceiling with the potential for 10-15 HR at SS? Truly elite ceiling. Just keep in mind it's literally 2-3 years off at the earliest.

• Like 2

His power is definitely still in the developmental stage. His ballpark and the division he plays in the SALLY league also isn't great for HR's

Running wild with decent #'s so far, really lacking on reports though, anyone seen any evaluators do any write ups lately? I bought in preseason in a deeper league because the potential of a Yankee SS with gamechanging speed playing in a deep deep highly competitive tri state area 16 teamed was too much to pass up.

Really wish this guy was already available in the yahoo player pool. A true SS with 80 speed is pure fantasy gold if he can get on base at all.

Charleston RiverDogs @ChasRiverDogs 25m25 minutes ago

Mateo stole home on a double steal, Aune had an RBI 3B, and Alex Palma with an RBI 1B to LF for the 3 runs in the first - DA

Charleston RiverDogs @ChasRiverDogs 10m10 minutes ago

Mateo has three stolen bases through the first two innings 46 on the season - RiverDogs lead it 3-0 after some nice defense in the 3rd - DA

1/2 with 2 runs scored, 2 BB's, and a K today. Also stole 4 more bags. 50 on the year. 7 in his last two games including today.

He's a goldmine when he makes the bigs. SS eligibility who will lead the AL in steals. Das gold.

He's a goldmine when he makes the bigs. SS eligibility who will lead the AL in steals. Das gold.

He's like billy where the question is can he hit

Myron Hosea @MyronHosea 3h3 hours ago

Michael Kopech hits Charleston's Jorge Mateo to load the basis. Mateo appears to be in lots of pain. Looks like it got him in the elbow.

Myron Hosea @MyronHosea 3h3 hours ago

Mateo will stay in the game for Charleston. Drive up 2-0 with the bases full and 1 out in T3.

Hope he's okay. If it was a Kopech FB, that could be real painful.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/27/dramatically-better-7-prospects-to-watch-in-revamped-yanks-system/

He turned 20 on Tuesday. There are questions on maturity, not skill.

“Jorge Mateo is the best prospect they’ve got,” one scout said. “He has speed and his speed plays. He has instincts, no fear and a great first step. I consistently got 4.0 times to first for a righty hitter. He has plus range and a plus arm. He plays hard and has a feel for the game.”

Another said, “He has a chance to be a star. He reminds me of [Edgar] Renteria at the similar age. He can run. If you watch batting practice you will see he has more than speed. The ball jumps off his bat for a young kid. You can say he is [an Alfonso] Soriano comp or a baby Hanley Ramirez. He has a chance to be special.”

• Like 1

Came across that video the other day as well. Pretty informative on Mateo for those interested.

Here's a little scouting report on Mateo from Minor League Ball:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/7/2/8874623/notes-from-the-sally-jorge-mateo-ss-yankees-scouting-report

4 stolen bases so far today and not even the 5th inning yet...

This is low-A - so he's got to make the jump to Hi-A, then AA/AAA. And there are clear flaws to his hitting skills at this stage (low BB rate, no power), that will get unmasked even more at higher levels.

If he was up by 2017 it would be a huge bonus. 2018 way more likely. Frankly, you want him to get all of the issues straightened out in the minors - a Billy Hamilton level SB guy at SS is gold. Give him the Reyes skills in other areas (XBH's, .avg) with Hamilton SB-ceiling (I realize Reyes used to be that guy too), well, wow. But literally miles away, and a couple of major hurdles to cross. For now, one can only dream at his ceiling (but the floor is still uber-low, too).

• Like 1

2/4 with 2 runs scored, a BB, 2 K's, a SB, and a CS attempt in tonight's game for the young SS. 61 SB's for Mateo on the season.