deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

For fantasy purposes why is he not ranked higher? Sounds like Billy Hamilton at short, which would be fantasy gold. Probably #1 on my list to draft next year.

For fantasy purposes why is he not ranked higher? Sounds like Billy Hamilton at short, which would be fantasy gold. Probably #1 on my list to draft next year.

Probably because you can run wild with raw speed in A-ball. And you can get on base with bad D's a lot easier.

From the sounds of the scouting reports, his approach at the plate needs work, and he's still not elite at his reading/jumps. He's not getting caught because he's uber-fast. Again, that doesn't work nearly as well once you hit the Big Show.

Given how many SS have graduated, after the obvious suspects (Seagar, Crawford and a rising Arcia), he's part of an exciting crop of SS's (Albies & Torres stand out, not sure if Guerra's power spike is just a product of his home park or not). He's likely go the highest ceiling out of all those guys simply because he looks to stick at SS and a 10-15 HR, 60+ SB is gold at that position, but the hit tool / batting eye are the most exploitable weaknesses hitters can have as they move up the ladder. So I get the tempered enthusiasm.

A major difference in Mateo's favor is that his hand-eye coordination for contact looks strong - so at least he's not a swing-and-miss guy by skills, and has at least average pop (so he won't get crowded by OF's cheating on his bloop hits like with so many speed-only Punch and Judy hitters) But until the approach catches up, it's hard to see him as a lock - but the ceiling is so tantalizing you can't ignore him, would be shocked if he's not on the preseason top 75 lists (somewhere in the 60-75 range would be my guess). But calling him elite, given where his weaknesses lie, and the competition he's faced, I understand why the lack of elite buzz is there. Having said that, if you don't have him by now, the cost of acquiring him is skyrocketing (it's one thing to not be elite, but quite another to not have him, or have to acquire him).

• Like 3

Probably because you can run wild with raw speed in A-ball. And you can get on base with bad D's a lot easier.

From the sounds of the scouting reports, his approach at the plate needs work, and he's still not elite at his reading/jumps. He's not getting caught because he's uber-fast. Again, that doesn't work nearly as well once you hit the Big Show.

Given how many SS have graduated, after the obvious suspects (Seagar, Crawford and a rising Arcia), he's part of an exciting crop of SS's (Albies & Torres stand out, not sure if Guerra's power spike is just a product of his home park or not). He's likely go the highest ceiling out of all those guys simply because he looks to stick at SS and a 10-15 HR, 60+ SB is gold at that position, but the hit tool / batting eye are the most exploitable weaknesses hitters can have as they move up the ladder. So I get the tempered enthusiasm.

A major difference in Mateo's favor is that his hand-eye coordination for contact looks strong - so at least he's not a swing-and-miss guy by skills, and has at least average pop (so he won't get crowded by OF's cheating on his bloop hits like with so many speed-only Punch and Judy hitters) But until the approach catches up, it's hard to see him as a lock - but the ceiling is so tantalizing you can't ignore him, would be shocked if he's not on the preseason top 75 lists (somewhere in the 60-75 range would be my guess). But calling him elite, given where his weaknesses lie, and the competition he's faced, I understand why the lack of elite buzz is there. Having said that, if you don't have him by now, the cost of acquiring him is skyrocketing (it's one thing to not be elite, but quite another to not have him, or have to acquire him).

He's not in the yahoo player pool yet or else he would be owned by me or someone else in our league. I imagine he'll be there next year and I plan on going hard after him in the draft. He could wind up a bust, but the upside is too high to ignore.

1st A+ game for Mateo:

4/6 with a triple, 2 runs scored, SB, and a strikeout.

It will be really interested to see how he handles the jump from Low A to High A and then from A to AA. If he handles it well and continues to grow, I think he will be a top 15 prospect by 2017.

1st A+ game for Mateo:

4/6 with a triple, 2 runs scored, SB, and a strikeout.

It will be really interested to see how he handles the jump from Low A to High A and then from A to AA. If he handles it well and continues to grow, I think he will be a top 15 prospect by 2017.

A pure 80 speed SS with a little pop that is hitting in AA would surely be a top 15 prospect. Like RRF says, got a ways to go and lots to prove before that happens.

http://nypost.com/2015/09/17/yankees-tinker-with-phenom-to-find-robinson-cano-replacement/

The Yankees are thinking about giving stud infield prospect Jorge Mateo reps at second base during the Instructional League that started Thursday in Tampa and runs for a month.

By no means have the Yankees given up on the 20-year-old Mateo as a shortstop, the only position he has played in four professional seasons, but with second base in the big leagues a crater since Robinson Cano split following the 2013 season, the Yankees might want to see how the ultra-athletic Mateo handles the other side of the bag.

According to a scout from an AL team who saw the 6-foot, 188-pound Mateo this season, second base is where he will play when he reaches the big leagues.

“His hands are a little too nervous for short,’’ the scout said. “He is more suited for second base. He is a big league player. The bat is good, he can run and he will be able to play second base.’’

So the Yankees IF will look like Bird - Mateo - Didi - Headley maybe as soon as 2017? Hopefully they'll keep Sanchez as C (moving McC to DH/1B backup) which will be a very nice IF.

He didn't even turn the jets on until he passed first....

I don't even think he went all out then...I got him as the last pick in my prospect draft this year. I'm hoping for Jose Reyes.

I don't even think he went all out then...I got him as the last pick in my prospect draft this year. I'm hoping for Jose Reyes.

Hoping for him to turn into Altuve at SS.

I don't think he has the Hit Tool for that but if he did, that would be awesome.

I can't believe how tall and lean Mateo is. He's not a small guy.

He certainly has the physical tools to be an elite fantasy asset. It's really hard to predict what his hit tool could be. He's still super young but he has as much upside as anyone in the league. I own Mateo, Crawford, Arcia, Gleyber, Albies, Seager, Nick Gordon, Ketel Marte and Barreto...and I might end up adding Rodgers or Swanson in the draft. I can promise you that the one guy that I want to hold on more than the rest is Jorge Mateo.

I'm not saying that he'll do this but he has the upside to be a .285 - 12 HR - 70 steal shortstop if he hits his ceiling. What are the odds that he does that? I don't know...but it's not impossible.

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 1

BOMB!!!

He sure looks like a guy with some pop to me!

He's definitely got bat speed and pop. Only question now is the plate discipline developing. But he's definitely not a guy we have to worry about getting overpowered.

Like the sound of the ball off his bat. He's got power potential in there and Yankee Stadium is obviously a nice park to play in.

40+ SB with the ability to give you 15-20 HR is the dream here

Like the sound of the ball off his bat. He's got power potential in there and Yankee Stadium is obviously a nice park to play in.

40+ SB with the ability to give you 15-20 HR is the dream here

Does he really project to have that power?

He's not a little guy...and takes a hell hack. He only had 2 HRs last year but no one hits many HRs in the Sally League.

I was thinking 10-12...but potentially more.

Edited by Coach George