deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

Let it be something like 10HR/50SB/.280AVG at SS?

Sign me up.

He's not a little guy...and takes a hell hack. He only had 2 HRs last year but no one hits many HRs in the Sally League.

I was thinking 10-12...but potentially more.

Pretty sure the Sally League is a hitting league and the FSL is the pitchers league? At least that's what I remember it being. (Marlins fan)

He's not a little guy...and takes a hell hack. He only had 2 HRs last year but no one hits many HRs in the Sally League.

Pretty sure the Sally League is a hitting league and the FSL is the pitchers league? At least that's what I remember it being. (Marlins fan)

Nope. I watch a lot of Sally League games and follow it closer than any other league for local reasons.

The league leader only had 19 HRs and only 20 guys had over 10 HRs in the league last year.

Devers had 11 HRs last year as an 18 year old...which doesn't seem great until you look at the context.

It also mean you can't take too much away from Mateo's power numbers because of age and park factors.

Edited by Coach George

Nope. I watch a lot of Sally League games and follow it closer than any other league for local reasons.

The league leader only had 19 HRs and only 20 guys had over 10 HRs in the league last year.

Devers had 11 HRs last year as an 18 year old...which doesn't seem great until you look at the context.

It also means you can't take too much away from Mateo's power numbers because of age and park factors.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo 9h9 hours ago

Two scouts debate:JP Crawford or Jorge Mateo? One:Mateo, better upside." Other:"Mateo, but very close."

Wonder how much these scouts are factoring in defense?

Do you care about defense in fantasy BB?

Two scouts debate:JP Crawford or Jorge Mateo? One:Mateo, better upside." Other:"Mateo, but very close."

Absolutley, no matter how good someone is offensively, they'll never make it to the majors unless they are someone presentable on defense, also being better defensively makes it easier for a team to justify starting a player even with early struggles at the plate.

No, but scouts do. If they are equal players and one is significantly better at defense than the other is probably a better fantasy player. So in a sense , I do care about defense

Another reason I "care" about defense for fantasy baseball...Miguel Sano was signed as a SS...believe me I'll take him regadless of position but an OFer compared to a SS is a big difference.

After 7 games back at Tampa .379/.455/.586 w/4 SB and 2 CS.

Edited by scoh123

I'm calling it now...

Mateo will be a consensus top 10 prospect heading in to next season. He's just so talented and toolsy.

I absolutely love this guy. I'm more excited about Mateo than about anyone in the minors right now.

Even more than Brinson ?

Hard to compare them, but I think Mateo has crazy high ceiling. I own both guys in different leagues and they both have really bright futures.

Yeah Brinson will offer power and speed where as Mateo pretty much Billy Hamilton from what I can figure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lets say he meets his potential of Jose Reyes with the Mets (his most common comparison)

162 Game Average

Runs: 114

HR: 13

RBI: 66 (I know RBIs are a crap stat but posted it for 5x5 purposes)

SB: 57

AVG: .292

I mean even if he's a step or two below...

Runs: 85

HR: 7

RBI: 45

SB: 40

AVG: 280

Still a fantasy helper.

Yeah Brinson will offer power and speed where as Mateo pretty much Billy Hamilton from what I can figure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't even mention Billy Hamilton. Hamilton...well, he sucks. He's not a baseball player.

Mateo has a way better body and frame. He seems to have a much better approach and 10x the tools.

They do both have elite speed but that's where the comparisons end. I think Mateo will be much, much better.

Don't even mention Billy Hamilton. Hamilton...well, he sucks. He's not a baseball player.

Mateo has a way better body and frame. He seems to have a much better approach and 10x the tools.

They do both have elite speed but that's where the comparisons end. I think Mateo will be much, much better.

I still think he'll be Altuve at SS. With probably better speed.

You guys are way more optimistic than I am about Mateo.

What are your concerns?

I know he couldn't have been any more impressive this spring. A lot of people think he's a speed only guy and that simply isn't true.

• Like 1

I'm still scared a little about the hit tool.

That's pretty much my concern as well. The speed is legit, but I'm still not sold on him as a hitter. He should be promoted to Trenton sometime this year and I'd like to see him have success there.

I hope he is promoted, I'd get to see him play. If he stay in the .280s+ at higher levels I'll be a little more comfortable.