deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

I'm still scared a little about the hit tool.

That was my original concern too. He made some adjustments last year and cut his strikeouts down as the season progressed.

I was really impressed with his overall size and frame when I saw him this spring. He's really a strong kid and a lean physical specimen. The tools are there. I was really surprised by his physicality.

Obviously, a kid this young is not a lock but there are few prospects in the minors that can match his upside. 2016 will tell us a lot and it's a huge year for his development. Personally I think we'll see him have a huge breakout season...and he's off to a pretty strong start.

Edited by Coach George
  • Like 1

Yeah Brinson will offer power and speed where as Mateo pretty much Billy Hamilton from what I can figure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't even mention Billy Hamilton. Hamilton...well, he sucks. He's not a baseball player.

Mateo has a way better body and frame. He seems to have a much better approach and 10x the tools.

They do both have elite speed but that's where the comparisons end. I think Mateo will be much, much better.

I still think he'll be Altuve at SS. With probably better speed.

Not a good comp imo. For Mateo, I'd make the comp to Jose Reyes. Not to sidetrack too much, but Altuve would be a good comp for Albies.

Yeah Brinson will offer power and speed where as Mateo pretty much Billy Hamilton from what I can figure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't even mention Billy Hamilton. Hamilton...well, he sucks. He's not a baseball player.

Mateo has a way better body and frame. He seems to have a much better approach and 10x the tools.

They do both have elite speed but that's where the comparisons end. I think Mateo will be much, much better.

I still think he'll be Altuve at SS. With probably better speed.

I'd take 15 homers a year, + .300 avg and tons of steals if that were the case. But I don't see anyone saying he has the power Altuve showed last year ... and is continuing this year. Does he have any HR power or possibly could grow into that power?

He showed power this spring..I could see him being a 15 homer guy

Been in love with this guy for a while. The thought of Billy Hamilton at short with an actual hit tool is unreal to think about. I guess his ceiling if Flash Gordon with a little more pop? If he maximizes his potential he's a top 15 fantasy player.

• Like 1

I'm still scared a little about the hit tool.

That was my original concern too. He made some adjustments last year and cut his strikeouts down as the season progressed.

I was really impressed with his overall size and frame when I saw him this spring. He's really a strong kid and a lean physical specimen. The tools are there. I was really surprised by his physicality.

Obviously, a kid this young is not a lock but there are few prospects in the minors that can match his upside. 2016 will tell us a lot and it's a huge year for his development. Personally I think we'll see him have a huge breakout season...and he's off to a pretty strong start.

His strength is what jumped out at me as well seeing him this spring.

2/5 with a HR, 3 RBI's, BB, and a K tonight for Mr. Mateo.

No steals? Dropped from my dynasty league.

• Like 1

2/4 with his 3rd HR of the season. Also stole his 8th bag tonight.

Would like to see more steals and a better ratio. 8 steals but caught 6 times. Last yr 82/17. Defense at SS needs work which may slow his advancement. Moncada already has 17 for Salem RedSox.

Add another 4 hits today

In 46 games since being called up to A+, he's hitting .341/.398/.511 with 19 SB.

Remember, this is a 20-year-old SS.

The only downside is... he's only 8-for-16 in SB attempts so far this year. In comparison, last year he was 82-for-99 in SB attempts.

• Like 2

will they move him up to AA this year or do they want him to work on his Defense in A bal?

He's not a little guy...and takes a hell hack. He only had 2 HRs last year but no one hits many HRs in the Sally League.

I was thinking 10-12...but potentially more.

Mateo hit his 4th HR and 5th triple of the year tonight. Batting .374 at the moment.

I think I might be in love!

He's not a little guy...and takes a hell hack. He only had 2 HRs last year but no one hits many HRs in the Sally League.

Mateo hit his 4th HR and 5th triple of the year tonight. Batting .374 at the moment.

I hope you have about 2 years of stash ability in your league

I have way more than that...I'm in a 60 man roster, dynasty league. I've been rebuilding about 2 years now. Mateo is exactly what I'm looking for.

He's relevant in a lot of leagues...

Many people play in leagues with minor league farm systems.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/yankees-switch-top-prospects-position-in-peek-at-infield-future/

Top Yankees prospect Jorge Mateo is undergoing a position change.

Mateo, currently playing shortstop for Single-A Tampa, has been working out at second base, which he will start playing in games shortly.

“In 10 days, you will see him out there,” general manager Brian Cashman said of 6-foot-1, 188-pound Mateo, who will play second for Tampa before an eventual promotion to Double-A Trenton.

The move is being made in preparation for Mateo and highly regarded shortstop Tyler Wade being on the same team at Trenton.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/13/yankees-switch-top-prospects-position-in-peek-at-infield-future/

Mateo, currently playing shortstop for Single-A Tampa, has been working out at second base, which he will start playing in games shortly.

“In 10 days, you will see him out there,” general manager Brian Cashman said of 6-foot-1, 188-pound Mateo, who will play second for Tampa before an eventual promotion to Double-A Trenton.

The move is being made in preparation for Mateo and highly regarded shortstop Tyler Wade being on the same team at Trenton.

They took some liberties with that one, huh? He of the .270/.349/.344 career line in now his 4th season (none above AA).

Why on earth would they move the stud prospect and not shuffle the JAG to the other position? I've never heard Mateo is a butcher in the field or anything like that... so what would motivate them to move him to a less valuable position?

Edited by JFS171

They took some liberties with that one, huh? He of the .270/.349/.344 career line in now his 4th season (none above AA).

Why on earth would they move the stud prospect and not shuffle the JAG to the other position? I've never heard Mateo is a butcher in the field or anything like that... so what would motivate them to move him to a less valuable position?

They obviously view Wade better defensively. At the same time they probably view both as their future MI.

My sense is that Wade is, at best, a utility IF/defensive replacement. When you don't hit well at the lower levels of the minors, you're not going to hit in the bigs.

The only plausible reasoning for this is that they're either convinced at this point that Mateo won't make it at SS, so go ahead and move him off the position. Or, they think he's going to be ready a lot sooner than maybe we expect and plan to play him alongside Gregorious. The former seems like a rash decision for a kid in A ball who's been pretty decent from most reports I've read. The latter seems rather short sighted given Gregorious is not a star (hell Castro may be better).

Either way it's an odd move to me. Let the guy prove he can't handle it at the higher levels before moving the best prospect in the organization to a different position permanently.