deuce4off

Jorge Mateo - SS/2B NYY

Yeah Barreto seems slated for 2B.  When Mateo is ready then Seimens can be the next trade chip in Billy Beane's AAAA catering service to major league teams.  (That team needs new ownership and MLB to kick SF in the shins blocking any new ballpark builds in "their area" for the A's etc before Oakland has a great middle infield combo like Mateo & Barreto for years to come.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah Barreto seems slated for 2B.  When Mateo is ready then Seimens can be the next trade chip in Billy Beane's AAAA catering service to major league teams.  (That team needs new ownership and MLB to kick SF in the shins blocking any new ballpark builds in "their area" for the A's etc before Oakland has a great middle infield combo like Mateo & Barreto for years to come.

As an A's fan, I have began preparing myself for Barreto and Mateo to both be traded in the summer of 2020. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradwatson said:

Are we expecting a mid 2018 call up?

It's really going to depend on how he finishes the year out. The sample size is too small at AA right now. If he continues to do well at AA and force a promotion to AAA next year there is potential. I still see beginning of 2019 as more likely. 

3 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

It's really going to depend on how he finishes the year out. The sample size is too small at AA right now. If he continues to do well at AA and force a promotion to AAA next year there is potential. I still see beginning of 2019 as more likely. 

Dang he'll be pushing 24 by then. Would be getting a bit long in the tooth.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:15 PM, bradwatson said:

Dang he'll be pushing 24 by then. Would be getting a bit long in the tooth.

Not really. Judge came up at 25 I believe. Sanchez was 24. Yankees are always extra conservative with prospects so he's been delayed a bit. I think he gets called up around this time next year.

4 hours ago, Folarin said:

Not really. Judge came up at 25 I believe. Sanchez was 24. Yankees are always extra conservative with prospects so he's been delayed a bit. I think he gets called up around this time next year.

Mateo doesn't play in the Yankee system.  He is in the A's farm system.  They always promote quickly so they can get a year or two out of a prospect them flip him for yet more prospects.  Oakland: The Official Farm Team of MLB.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Mateo doesn't play in the Yankee system.  He is in the A's farm system.  They always promote quickly so they can get a year or two out of a prospect them flip him for yet more prospects.  Oakland: The Official Farm Team of MLB.

I obviously know this. I was saying the Yankees promote slowly and kept him in A ball for a prolonged time which led to his later call up.

I just read a blurb about Mateo on a fantasy site and decided to check out his thread here. Obviously he'll start at AAA this year, but it sure seems that there are a couple of different opportunities for him to make it to Oakland this year. Maybe Semien gets traded by the deadline, and Mateo gets called up to start the remainder of the season. Or, as the blurb I was reading suggested, the A's don't currently have a reliable CF nor a true leadoff hitter, and it's possible Mateo eventually gets a call to fill those two voids. I think it'll be interesting to see where he plays at Nashville this year, because it could give us a clearer idea of where the A's are thinking of putting him. 

His combined AA numbers (NYY and Oak) are really nice...60 games, 257 AB, .296-51-8-46-24, 24 BB, 65 K. That projects to 150 games, .296-127-20-115-60, 60 BB, 162K. That's an enticing line for a kid who will be 23 years old on June 23. 

54 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

I really really REALLY hope he sticks at SS

I wouldn't be surprised if he's SS/OF eligible next year. 

He played exclusively at SS for Midland last year after the trade. Doesn't guarantee anything but it's a good sign.

• Thanks 1

2 bombs today before he was optioned. Too bad he was hurt earlier in camp. I really wanted to see more of him.

Changes he made once being promoted to AA looking more and more legit.

Mateo started at SS in his AAA debut while Franklin Barreto played 2B.

That would bode really well for Mateo's future at SS with Oakland, except for the part where he made 3 errors :unsure:

I have high hopes for this kid, but 3 errors and 0/2 in SBs in his first two games is a rough start, lol. Can't take too much from two games, but on the positive side, he's started 5-for-9 with only 1 K and a pair of doubles. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I have high hopes for this kid, but 3 errors and 0/2 in SBs in his first two games is a rough start, lol. Can't take too much from two games, but on the positive side, he's started 5-for-9 with only 1 K and a pair of doubles. 

i'm not terribly interested in the speed issues, he's fast.. that's not really in question. he can steal a lot of bases. i guess i could be convinced to worry about his baseball acumen, but i'm not [yet]. the errors are bad though, i was hoping he might push to make a callup sooner rather than later, but if he can't field his/a position, a callup is nowhere in his near future.

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

i'm not terribly interested in the speed issues, he's fast.. that's not really in question. he can steal a lot of bases. i guess i could be convinced to worry about his baseball acumen, but i'm not [yet]. the errors are bad though, i was hoping he might push to make a callup sooner rather than later, but if he can't field his/a position, a callup is nowhere in his near future.

I just said it was a rough start. I'm not concerned about him at this point. If he fails defensively as a SS, he could get moved back to CF, too. There's isn't too much in his way at either position from an offensive standpoint.

He's been error-prone in the minors as a SS (19 in 89 games in '17...5 in 23 Dom League games...69 in 230g in 2012-16), so it's possible that it's just not his cup of tea. We'll see if he shows any progress this year. 

Off to a dreadful start at AAA... 188/230/246 with a ton of whiffs (29.7 K%) and popups (57.1 IFFB%).

A hard player to value in dynasty. The Trea Turner/Jose Reyes type upside is so enticing, but man is he inconsistent.

On 4/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Off to a dreadful start at AAA... 188/230/246 with a ton of whiffs (29.7 K%) and popups (57.1 IFFB%).

A hard player to value in dynasty. The Trea Turner/Jose Reyes type upside is so enticing, but man is he inconsistent.

Yeah I really don't see it. I sold off the shares I had of him in a deep dynasty league this offseason. I know the steals have been mouthwatering at some points, but I just don't see the hit tool being good enough and the defense/mental makeup have always been interesting to follow. I am not saying he can't figure it out, he has some big time talent. I just personally think he still has some name to sell off. 

• Like 3

Signs of life! He went 4-for-5 with 2 home runs and a stolen base today. It was in Colorado Springs, but I'm not going to nitpick good news after the start he's had.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 8:11 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Signs of life! He went 4-for-5 with 2 home runs and a stolen base today. It was in Colorado Springs, but I'm not going to nitpick good news after the start he's had.

And for an encore...

0-for-5 with 3 strikeouts. :unsure: