Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

deuce4off

Bradley Zimmer - OF CLE

On a tear right now. .400/5/12 in his last 8. 16 homers and 39 steals on the year across two levels.

I don't see a need to call him up. The Indians aren't going anywhere this year and he only has 100 ABs above A ball. It's possible I guess but it seems unlikely

I don't see a need to call him up. The Indians aren't going anywhere this year and he only has 100 ABs above A ball. It's possible I guess but it seems unlikely

It's not about going anywhere, it's about seeing him against big league pitching. Letting him get a feel of the big show.

It's not about going anywhere, it's about seeing him against big league pitching. Letting him get a feel of the big show.

Yeah but what's the rush? He just got to AA a about a month ago

no rush

no rush

It's not just about going anywhere but it's a small factor. There may have been more of a possibility for him to be called up if they wanted to add a bat when the rosters expand and fighting for a playoff spot. There is not really a need to get him a feel for the big show considering he has only been in AA for a month (110 ABs). I am excited to see What he can do as well but I just don't see it happening this year. A lot of prospect sites and chats have him as being called up sometime in 2016. I am looking forward to it.

Dan Farnsworth's take from FanGraphs -- http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-2016-prospects-cleveland-indians/

The younger brother of Royals pitching prospect Kyle Zimmer, Brad Zimmer is a long-limbed toolsy dude that projects for quality all-around production in the outfield. Plus speed and a plus arm give him the chance to stick in center or be an above-average right fielder down the line. He has great instincts on the bases and a good approach at the plate. Despite his slight build at present, he has an excellent chance at developing power with a lot of room to fill out.

Being a lefty hitting, righty throwing guy with long levers, he has a surprisingly smooth, athletic swing. His dominant hand can take over at times, pulling his swing across his body, but only enough that his current power is more to his pull side and not a big detriment to his hitting ability. He hasnt fully tapped into his legs for power yet. I anticipate his power blossoming in another two or three years to at least a plus level. He has a good eye at the plate and has the swing and quickness to hit just about anything you can throw at him.

Though he may have gotten a little exposed in Double-A last season, most notably striking out in 25% of his plate appearances, he has proved capable of adapting to pitchers and should have no problem improving the numbers this season. Its still obvious at times that hes a big-bodied kid who has yet to grow into his body, and I think his competition level was just a bit ahead of his physical maturation there. Expect his Double-A strikeouts to be a blip on his professional record, not a sign of things to come.

Hit: 40/60/65 Power: 45/60/65 Run: 60/60/60 Field: 50/55/55 Throw: 60/60/60

Overall: 45/65/70

ESPN Cleveland ‏@ESPNCleveland Feb 23

Underwood: Bradley Zimmer has filled out, he looks like a beast to me. Not sure if we see him this year but nothing would shock me.

Given Farnsworth's take that I posted above, this is a great sign.

I think Zimmer is criminally underrated in prospect circles. If He's got 60 power with a 60 hit tool, that's a stud bat, especially when you consider his 40+ steals from last year despite playing the last two months with a fracture in his foot.

I'd bet we see him in Cleveland this summer, perhaps even as soon as Super 2 passes given Cleveland's mess of an OF on a club that can compete right now.

The best comp for him is Steven Souza. A guy with a lot of tools, shows flashes of power and good speed, but strikes out at 25-30%.

I like his base stealing ability better than Souzas' though. However his plate discipline in the minors is worse than somebody like Polanco, and that will hurt him getting on base.

I could see him develop into a 15HR 25SB player that hits .250. Might take a few years, but its there.

He needs to cut down on those K's or I fear he may be spending majority of the season in the minors.

Not much buzz this year so far.

Probably because he's a 23-year-old hitting .226 in AA.

Having said that, he has one of the highest fantasy ceilings of any player in the minors. I'm holding onto him as a prospect in my keeper league for that reason. Good power and good speed, takes his walks too. The big negative so far this season is the strikeout rate.

A 30% strikeout rate in AA is troubling. Ignore the HRs and SBs to some degree. The contact rate is key to seeing these guys succeed and make it to the majors.

Just don't be shocked if he is in AAA through a good portion of 2017 if his strikeout rate doesn't make some improvements.

Zimmer's off to a really nice start! 7 bombs, 26 RBI, 13 SB. He's looking pretty good so far!

How many K's, and what's his current batting average ?

Not too far off from what Springer was doing the year before he was called up.

He is showing some outrageous splits this season. 1.107 OPS vs RHP compared to .317 OPS vs LHP. He's striking out more than half the time vs south paws, which is making his overall K% skyrocket (still high vs RHP too though). He hasn't shown these extreme splits up until this year, so I'm not sure what is going on. He's going to need to make some adjustments vs lefties if he wants to be more than a platoon player. Hopefully he can do so, because he looks like he has a chance to be special.