Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

Tattoos - your opinion

Tattoos  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Tattoos look...

• Cool. I would totally get one and support others getting them.
    • Tacky. I don't know why people get them. Would never get one
    • I dunno bro, i guess they look OK on some people, i'm more of a piercing guy

It is my contention that tattoos look like absolute crap.

Most people have an idealistic image of what a tattoo would look like; something based on a picture they may have seen or some design they saw on another person. Realistically speaking, tattoos are more likely to resemble s---y artwork done by elementary school children than a design done by some talented artist. There are exceptions, which are mainly found in the celebrity world...but most average joes don't have 10 grand to shell out on some super-intricate, fractionally-accurate, sexy-a** design done by some world-renowned tattoo artist.

As a teenager, i had once considered jumping on the bandwagon. Then i decided to sleep on it and wait it out for a bit. As i grew older and met more people, the number of s---y tattoos i encountered far outnumbered the good ones. I have seen crappy looking barbed wire bands, tribal logos ('so which tribe do you belong to, white guy from Wisconsin?'), the usual tramp stamps, bible phrases written in some barely legible font, unintelligible words written in 'exotic' foreign languages (do Chinese people get their tattoos in english?), and horrendous looking sleeves that looked like the guy had burst a vein or two. What's worrying is how the sleeves are becoming a bit of a trend. Recently, i had the misfortune of meeting some dumb pretentious hipster chick at a party. She was wearing a colorful sleeve with cupcakes, that's right...cupcakes on them. After talking to this chick, i discovered - to my surprise - that she was sound of mind when she got it and KNEW exactly what she was doing. This wasn't just a drunken mistake or some bull**** dare. Apparently, the cupcakes thing is a fad now: http://blog.tattoodo.com/2014/05/40-cupcake-tattoos/

I have also lost count of the number of times i met self-righteous dimwits that wouldn't miss an opportunity to tell you how 'significant' and 'special' their tattoo is. This is my area code bro, that's my son's birthday, that retarded looking bird you see is a tribute to my mom. blah blah blah, they just keep coming. What happened to just keeping the memories to yourself? OK, so you love your kid...good job, but why document that fact on your arm, ****head? I don't care. Is this what's it come to; i mean are we really so desperate for attention that we need to literally paint details of our lives all over our bodies? That's pathetic. And of course, they have to ask me, 'why don't you get one?!!"...oh i dunno, maybe because i don't sum up my personality with a single punchline or chinese character.

What used to be the well-earned mark of a hardened criminal has now become a fashion statement. I blame social media for this; the rise of facebook and instagram has spawned a generation of attention whores. The tattoos are just a by-product of this 'i think i'm special so let me publically document every insignificant detail of my life' BS. You are NOT special. You are boring, and you are average.

There also NEEDS to be some kind of weight requirement for getting a tattoo. At least it won't look so bad when you're jacked, i could at least respect you for the hard work you put in at the gym. But too many skinnies and beer guts have tattoos these days. The hipsters, jesus christ, you'd think all the blood leaked out of them while they got it. Walking, talking, poorly groomed, badly-tattooed carcasses. It's disgusting. Please stop.

Another lazy friday, and I was having a pretty lengthy discussion about this with some people at work. The Stevan Ridley instagram post really got to me and i felt compelled to post some of my brain-farts online. For those unaware, Ridley recently signed a one year deal with the Jets, and decided to celebrate by getting the jets logo inked onto his arm. *rolls eyes*

TL;DR:

- most tattoos look like crap,

- tattoos are the refuge of pretentious, attention-whoring idiots

- people need to stop getting tattoos, especially ones with cupcakes on them

- i hate tattoos

I say this with respect to your argument: people with tattoos don't care what people like you think.

Source: I have tattoos

c'mon man you're basically talking about white trash and hipsters. Not everyone who has tattoos falls into that category. I have an MBA and a successful career- and I'm only saying that because you essentially (at least to me) are saying that people with tattoos are the scum of the earth and degenerate punks (aside from celebrities). And as someone with tattoos, I'll say that tribal bullsh*t and dates and weird Chinese writing is pretty beat- but I would never say anything to those people because it's their body, not mine.

I don't want you to think I'm getting all butthurt and trying to retaliate, just adding my perspective to your argument. In all honesty you're going to get the people with tattoos saying "it's my body not yours"and people with the same stance as you saying people with tattoos are dumb as hell.

And so it goes.

Oh, i have seen successful people with tattoos. I don't see any reason to correlate actual success with tattoos, that would be stupid. i'm more interested in what they represent from a personal standpoint. Its sort of goes to back to my whole argument, i.e. you are more than a line across your chest. Do the tattoo people agree with this?

I'm also cool with tattooed people not giving a damn about my opinion, if i was in their shoes, i wouldn't give a damn either. I'm more interested in where the motivation comes from. Is it for the same reason that people feel compelled to drink/smoke/etc. i.e. peer pressure? Is it a desire to look 'cool' ? I mean, they are popular nowadays...and an easy conversation starter. Why is it necessary to draw, 'only god can judge me' across your chest?

I have also come across people that admitted they made a mistake in getting them, but they are in the minority.

Fair enough, and you present solid points. I wasn't trying to accuse you or suggesting success had something to do with tattoos, more so how I interpreted it with your initial statement- but I do see where you're coming from. As far as what they represent from a personal standpoint I can give you this:

As someone with tattoos, I just like them. I think (done correctly) that body art can contain some of the most amazing pieces of work done by an artist. Some of the sleeves I've seen with great detail are absolutely incredible. And you're correct, they're quite popular these days and that certainly has to do with the popular culture as you mentioned in your initial post. I can agree with you that cupcakes are dumb, or someone who gets a butterfly above their a** probably should reconsider why they're getting it done- however if they have their own personal reasons, then more props to them for getting something like that, no skin off my back.

I would never get text like "only god can judge me" or "carpe diem" on my body- I just don't like text tattoos. Some people may, and decide that they'd like to have that on them forever- maybe it represents a specific time in their life. You spoke about memories in your first post, and I can say that while I do have my mental memories, I have some pieces that were from a certain point in my life and I can remember exactly how I was feeling and why I decided to go buckwild and grab some ink. That's just me, and my motivation comes from the fact that I enjoy having artwork littered across my body. I like the style, I like the look, I enjoy getting inked- it's an adrenaline rush every time you're under the needle( that sounds bad but that's what it is), and some people are addicted to that. It's hard to describe, but its a thrill for some people (a permanent one).

Everyone has their reasons, some more poor then others. That could be related to peer pressure, it could be to follow the crowd, it could be just because. You'll find each and every person you talk to about this has their own reasons for why they have ink- at least that's what I found. And to your last point- no ones going to admit that they made a permanent mistake, or it's tough to find people that will own up to it. These days, laser treatment is available but it leaves a scar and is quite expensive..but it's possible to attempt to undo anything you may consider a mistake.

I think that piercings and gauges (I had both when I was younger) look far more trashier then tattoos, and when I see them now I probably feel the same way you do about ink. I can understand why people have them though (since I had them myself), I just grew out of the style and developed a negative view. While you may argue that they don't do permanent damage- I've seen some older people with gauges that have to have surgery just to get a somewhat-normal ear back. Not straying off topic of tattoos but..I guess my point is everyone has their internal motivations.

Just trying to provide some insight on my end- I agree that they have become a trend but the thing is, every time you ask someone about their ink- they WILL have some sort of story to spin you. At the point in time when they got it- they had all the motivation they needed. It's hard to give you a direct reason like "just to be cool"...I hope this longass rant gave some more perspective from the other side.

As someone with tattoos, I just like them. I think (done correctly) that body art can contain some of the most amazing pieces of work done by an artist. Some of the sleeves I've seen with great detail are absolutely incredible. And you're correct, they're quite popular these days and that certainly has to do with the popular culture as you mentioned in your initial post. I can agree with you that cupcakes are dumb, or someone who gets a butterfly above their a** probably should reconsider why they're getting it done- however if they have their own personal reasons, then more props to them for getting something like that, no skin off my back.

I agree, a well made tattoo looks good. It also has to fit your personality in some way (and not the other way around!). However most tattoos AREN'T well done, and that's why the fad pisses me off. Most are far from the ideal image. And most people don't really have a personality for it. Wannabes. It's like wearing a designer suit to a fancy party; when it's cheap, you know it's cheap, and its easy to tell the difference. Like tattoos, you have to pay serious $ to get a nice, custom-fitted one. You should also know how to 'pull it off', and that's something which goes beyond just wearing it. At least this is a temporary interest, tattoos are permanent.

Its in no way reflective of their intelligence, as i admitted earlier - but don't we know successful people that happen to be boring? That have little else going for them? I still see no reason why this isn't anything more than a cry for attention and a vain attempt to unnaturally 'look' cool in an era when it has become mainstream celebrity fare. I don't agree with the idea of giving props for the sake of it. That kind of attitude can justify a lot of wrongdoing and stupidity, i'd prefer to be honest. I sure as hell can't condone it.

That said, your opinion isn't a million miles away from my own. You think many tattoos look tacky, i think most look tacky...that's only a few zip codes, haha. We could agree that there are a whole bunch of people that shouldn't be getting tattoos. I should clarify that people admitting they made a mistake had small[ish] tattoos and they got them as teenagers. I'm sure the ones with the bigger tats have already made their bed.

The adrenaline rush is a great point, btw. I had never even thought about that. Getting tattooed must be a memorable experience in itself. That's some good insight and it helps me understand this craze a bit better.

I've never really put so much thought into judging others. I guess it's because I'm happy with myself and my life. You should try it.

I've never really put so much thought into judging others. I guess it's because I'm happy with myself and my life. You should try it.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but ya, pretty much this.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, November 3, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, November 3, 2015 - No reason given

tattoos1.png

tattoos2.png