Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kidtwentytwo

DFS Potentially Illegal?

There are parts of this I agree with and parts of this that are insanely incorrect. First, let me say this, DFS and fantasy sports generally are both gambling AND a game of skill. Unfortunately, defining something as gambling brings with it a ton of negative consequences because our government (irrespective of the politics) is akin to Tommy Boy describing his sales efforts when it comes with proper regulation of industry's they don't understand.

To me, fantasy sports should be somewhat regulated because it is clear that the DFS sites have really upped their efforts to attract new people through misleading claims of instant success. They never highlight the fact that in order to win... you need multiple other people to lose. Yes, that is part of the attraction for some people, but for those with mental conditions related to addiction, it can be incredibly dangerous. Should we as a society ban games of chance (even when skill is paramount to improving those chances) for a select few people who are susceptible to addiction? Of course not, but it is in everyone's best interest to try to implement measures that protect the vulnerable from themselves because the impacts of their illness are rarely relegated to a single individual.

There are parts of this I agree with and parts of this that are insanely incorrect. First, let me say this, DFS and fantasy sports generally are both gambling AND a game of skill. Unfortunately, defining something as gambling brings with it a ton of negative consequences because our government (irrespective of the politics) is akin to Tommy Boy describing his sales efforts when it comes with proper regulation of industry's they don't understand.

To me, fantasy sports should be somewhat regulated because it is clear that the DFS sites have really upped their efforts to attract new people through misleading claims of instant success. They never highlight the fact that in order to win... you need multiple other people to lose. Yes, that is part of the attraction for some people, but for those with mental conditions related to addiction, it can be incredibly dangerous. Should we as a society ban games of chance (even when skill is paramount to improving those chances) for a select few people who are susceptible to addiction? Of course not, but it is in everyone's best interest to try to implement measures that protect the vulnerable from themselves because the impacts of their illness are rarely relegated to a single individual.

somewhat regulated? meaning what? imagine we had to claim our fantasy winnings?

No amount of legislation can protect people from themselves.

Addiction can manifest itself in any number of self destructive ways, whether it be gambling, substance abuse etc.

I don't want to live in a world where measures are taken to ATTEMPT to make everyone safe at all times.

It's much more like gambling than seasonal fantasy sports leagues we play in because ours only require one lump payment and that's it. Even if things are going bad you can't really just join more leagues everytime as that would give you no chance of winning the ones you're already in.

With DFS you can keep going back and gambling more and more money despite losing. I could see why it is very similar to sports betting actually. In essense you are betting on a bunch of sports players totaled stats each night, rather than one team's result. I've never tried it and have no desire to start.

The part about DFS that is like Keno or Bingo is the multi-entry games and stacks. What skill is there in entering 20 to 80 stacked lineups in one tourney? Get your daubers ready! I'd like to hear the argument vs that on game of skill.

The guy who won the 100K a week ago had 80 $27 dollar entries and won a the JA Happ pitching line. Skillz...Grind...Lol.

Meaning they should be flagging people for repetitive excessive loses like the guy in the article and considering interventions. they should staff trained addiction counselors to identify risky betting practices. They should actual advertise on their website the resources to address gambling addiction.

If they don't want outside regulation, they should at least be taking some incredibly minimal steps towards self-regulation.

The part about DFS that is like Keno or Bingo is the multi-entry games and stacks. What skill is there in entering 20 to 80 stacked lineups in one tourney? Get your daubers ready! I'd like to hear the argument vs that on game of skill.

The multiple entries is what is going to get DFS in serious trouble over the long run. They lose a ton of "we're not gambling" credibility in allowing that to the level they do now.

The multiple entries is what is going to get DFS in serious trouble over the long run. They lose a ton of "we're not gambling" credibility in allowing that to the level they do now.

Right and they are just catering to guys with huge bankrolls so they can take more rakes. Win them, lose, the small or new player.

Oh thank god, the nanny state is coming to protect us from DFS.

You are supposed to claim fantasy winnings of over $600. My football league is run by the site and they hold our money. My leagues first place payout is $900 and they send a 1099-MISC to the winner.

In leagues, where you play with people you know, and A league commish holds the money, then I wouldn't worry about it.

DFS is similiar to going to the Race Track where you have previous results in The Racing Form, odds for today's races and can place multiple bets in each and every race.

For some it can become addictive and the go to the Race Track day after day after day as there is typically a mimimal charge to get in. And then it's up to each bettor how much and how often they want to wager.

Meaning they should be flagging people for repetitive excessive loses like the guy in the article and considering interventions. they should staff trained addiction counselors to identify risky betting practices. They should actual advertise on their website the resources to address gambling addiction.

But that would mean admitting they're a gambling site, not a skill game.

I'm just tired of the non stop DFS commercial i encounter everywhere. they sure know where to find me. with all their big money promises blaring out everywhere, they really are asking for it.

But that would mean admitting they're a gambling site, not a skill game.

DFS (and horse handicapping) are neither black or white, but some hue of gray. The rub in calling them that is that our regulatory process is broken in many areas, including for gambling. In an ideal world, the activities of DFS would be regulated by someone that actually understands the industry, but has the neutral position of also wanting to protect the players. Unfortunately, no such avenue exists and, therefore, the status quo is preferred by just about everyone (except those with the propensity for addiction).

I'm just tired of the non stop DFS i encounter. with all their big money promises blaring out everywhere, they really are asking for it.

This is really the first year it is out of control. FanDuel got real greedy, real fast and I suspect it will burn the entire industry. You can't listen to a fantasy baseball podcast or radio show without hearing a DFS advertisement every 10 minutes or less. The "FanDuel hotline" or the "Draft Kings Call of the Day" or "Chris Prince won such and such last week only playing for 50 dollars". It is outrageous even for someone like myself who plays and likes DFS.

This feels so much like the Internet Poker boom. The hammer of the law will catch up soon enough.... unfortunately. FanDuel will have made their money before they screw over anyone, including the players.

DFS is absolutely 100% gambling. It's really no different than placing bets in a sports book. For all the talk on these forums about advanced metrics and the such, everyone knows that a sample of n=1 is utterly useless. You can pretend all you want that you can pick the best matchups, hitter vs pitcher splits, stack the lineups at the best hitters parks, etc, but when it comes down to it, it's one single game. I mean just look at the line ups that win the big tourneys with 20K+ entries every night. It's laughable how lucky you have to get to win one of those things. It's akin to the secretary who's never watched a single college basketball game winning the office march madness pool. And I think it's pretty sleazy of them to advertise these sites as some sort of get rich quick thing. That said, I play DFS regularly and would be disappointed if it went away.

Year-long leagues, on the other hand, are clearly a game of skill. Yes, there is a small amount of luck involved, but I'd say it's about 90/10 skill to luck.

Poker is a game a skill and has been shunned for years. Problem is the government can't regulate & tax it. Now that they can, they're opening it up for some poorly operated poker sites to be open in certain states. DFS can be taxed and regulated. The government doesn't give a damn about Jay him dumping his paycheck into a bunch of tournaments he doesn't have the roll for. They just want their $$$$$

The guy who won the 100K a week ago had 80 $27 dollar entries and won a the JA Happ pitching line. Skillz...Grind...Lol.

So true. Going contrarian is almost pointless due to this. I did well this season in NBA DFS, and hadn't followed the NBA in years. I've followed baseball closely for awhile now, but I can't break through going up against maxdulary and his merry men's 500 line ups every night. Last night his line up #200 won a contest I was in. Buncha jokers.

DFS is going nowhere, not after the deals with the major sports and not after Disney came involved. Too much money in it and the government gets theres

Also if you think multi entry guarantees a win, go play those 25 cent games on DK and see how it goes. It's not easy

So true. Going contrarian is almost pointless due to this. I did well this season in NBA DFS, and hadn't followed the NBA in years. I've followed baseball closely for awhile now, but I can't break through going up against maxdulary and his merry men's 500 line ups every night. Last night his line up #200 won a contest I was in. Buncha jokers.

That's insane. 200 lineups. Wow.

Single entry small games (20-30 or less) I will be sticking too. And an occasional single entry GPP.

Can you guys see the hypocrisy in all this?

"I like to play DFS, but I think there should be a limit on how many you can play, how many teams in each tourney, how much for entry fees, etc. And I can control how much I play, but you know some can't, so we need regulation. Like, regulation that sets it up just like I want it."

It's like saying "I smoke and drink, and the correct amount is 15 cigarettes and 5 beers per day. They should make it illegal for anyone to consume more than these amounts per day because it's what works for me! Any more than that and bad things could happen!"

I'm just tired of the non stop DFS i encounter. with all their big money promises blaring out everywhere, they really are asking for it.

This is really the first year it is out of control. FanDuel got real greedy, real fast and I suspect it will burn the entire industry. You can't listen to a fantasy baseball podcast or radio show without hearing a DFS advertisement every 10 minutes or less. The "FanDuel hotline" or the "Draft Kings Call of the Day" or "Chris Prince won such and such last week only playing for 50 dollars". It is outrageous even for someone like myself who plays and likes DFS.

This feels so much like the Internet Poker boom. The hammer of the law will catch up soon enough.... unfortunately. FanDuel will have made their money before they screw over anyone, including the players.

No longer fantasy pod casts. Draft Kings are now the official sponsors of the strike zone box this season on all Red Sox (NESN) broadcasts.

So you see their logo over the box the whole 3 hours plus of every single game. Plus there are little mini inside the inning commercials for Draft Kings almost every inning as in "the yadda yadda box is brought to you by Draft Kings yadda yadda." Even touted each and every time as "Boston's own Draft Kings" since apparently they are centered locally there. Also always touts how much money you can win there in those mini commercials.

(One of the many reasons I always watch any national broadcast of Sox games over the local broadcast ones when given the option).

That's insane. 200 lineups. Wow.

Single entry small games (20-30 or less) I will be sticking too. And an occasional single entry GPP.

Yeah. I've moved away from the bigger tournaments and do the $3/10K mini moonshots for the most part. When you set 6-7 lineups a night that money adds up on a losing streak, and everyone will have 'em in DFS. Last year I was trying to do one big game a night, and that didn't go too well. My one lineup stood no chance against the pros' 250.

Can you guys see the hypocrisy in all this?

"I like to play DFS, but I think there should be a limit on how many you can play, how many teams in each tourney, how much for entry fees, etc. And I can control how much I play, but you know some can't, so we need regulation. Like, regulation that sets it up just like I want it."

It's like saying "I smoke and drink, and the correct amount is 15 cigarettes and 5 beers per day. They should make it illegal for anyone to consume more than these amounts per day because it's what works for me! Any more than that and bad things could happen!"

I like to browse the web at work (obviously). However, in one of the last offices I worked, a guy was consistently spending his entire day on Facebook. The company implemented a new software screening process and made strict policies to prevent unintended personal internet use. Am I being a hypocrite for being pissed that the one jackass couldn't moderate his **** and ruined it for everyone?

Basically, my point is that I like DFS, but the people that want to drag it down are going to have a lot more ammo to do so if the DFS industry doesn't apply reasonably constraints to limit the potentially negative impacts of their product.