Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Under500Forever

Wilmer Difo - 2B/SS WAS

I didn't see a thread for this guy so I figured I'd start one. I have been reading some good things about him. He is a 23 year old switch hitter , has played both middle infield positions and he was just promoted to AA. He had a really good year in Low A last year (I'm sure he was older then his competition, no?). I think he is someone to keep our eyes on. He seems to have some pop and he has some speed. He was the South Atlantic League MVP in 2014 , the Nationals minor league players of the year and is already on the Nationals 40 man roster. Here are some RW blurbs on him:

Nationals optioned INF Wilmer Difo to High-A Potomac.

Difo, who turns 23 in April, is coming off a big season with Class A Hagerstown where he batted .315/.360/.470 with 14 home runs and 49 steals across 136 games. The Nationals added him to their 40-man roster back in November. Baseball America recently ranked Difo as the organization's No. 7 prospect. Mar 19 - 4:24 PM

Nationals prospect Wilmer Difo collected five hits Saturday for High-A Potomac.

One of the hits was Difo's first career grand slam. Last year's South Atlantic League MVP continues to impress every step of the way. The 23-year-old swiped 49 bases for Low-A Hagerstown in 2014 and already has three thefts for Potomac. Difo could be headed for a promotion if this keeps up. Apr 19 - 4:08 PM

Source: MILB.com

Nationals prospect Wilmer Difo collected three hits Sunday for High-A Potomac.

He finished the doubleheader 3-for-6 with four RBI. The 23-year-old has swung a hot bat all season, hitting .323 with a .966 OPS in 17 appearances. Difo saw time at both middle infield positions last year but has only played shortstop in 2015. The versatile talent also has a nice set of wheels, having stolen four bases on five attempts this year. Apr 27 - 2:21 PM

Source: MILB.com

Nationals prospect SS/2B Wilmer Difo has been promoted to Double-A Harrisburg.

He batted .320/.386/.533 with 10 extra-base hits and four stolen bases in 19 games at High-A Potomac prior to the promotion. Difo, 23, was the Nationals Minor League Player of the Year in 2014 after a breakout campaign in which he batted .315/.360/.470 with 14 home runs and 49 steals in 136 games at Low-A Hagerstown. Already on the Nats 40-man roster, Difo is a switch-hitter with surprising pop who can impact the game on both sides of the ball with his speed. May 1 - 2:07 PM

He was on my draft list for my NL dynasty, but somebody else beat me to him. Could be a nice player.

Here are his splits last year:

Offensively, Difo posted a .324/.370/.568 line with 11 doubles and seven home runs against left-handed pitchers and a .311/.357/.436 line with 20 doubles and seven home runs vs right-handed pitchers.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Nationals expected to promote IF Wilmer Difo. Werth a candidate for DL.

He's only up until Rendon comes back. Not an add for redrafts

I love Difo long-term, but so little time at Double-A, and plate discipline and batting eye which both need definite work - nothing more than a dynasty stash, albeit with long-term appeal. Any success at the MLB level is likely to be short-lived, once pitchers realize his eye isn't MLB-ready yet.

It also took him until age 22 to succeed in A/lower ball, which suggests that he could be really good if he continues to rake this year & next, but not necessarily an elite-level ceiling (aka like those you see with Russell/Correa/etc.), either. Still, you only need 10-15 HR power and 30+ SB ability to be a top-5 to top-10 MI at either position (as always, this is ceiling, not floor), and his switch-hitting ability and speed, combined with surprising pop that's stayed with him as he's broken out, all point to a guy who could be a difference-making MI - but really only down the line (once he hits the MLB, at this stage he'd get any weaknesses exploited to the hilt - see Rougned Odor, Baez <the latter who has a tremendous ceiling, but isn't ready yet approach and eye-wise>).

Great power-speed combo for the MI long-term, however, so few actual MILB MI power/speed guys who will be in the minors after this year's graduates to the MLB level.