Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, einstein2u said:

streamers have him at

.247, 7hr, 9 sb, 76 games, k 22% of the time.

i was hoping for more.

dont know why you guys take things like this so SRS

• Like 2

With the Headley move it sure looks like the Yankees are planning for him to be in the majors to start the season. Of course they could still re-sign Frazier, but with power abundant elsewhere on the team it makes more sense for them to concentrate on a player with contact skills and some speed. If Torres can impress during ST he can be their 3B right out of the gate in 2018.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, einstein2u said:

streamers have him at

.247, 7hr, 9 sb, 76 games, k 22% of the time.

i was hoping for more.

Who cares about what one site thinks?  Everything I've seen posted about this steamers site over the years here is a total turn-off to me.  They seem totally loopy.

• Like 1

I find Steamer projections very useful, but you have to understand what they are. It's a purely math-based projection system.

I focus more on its percentages and ignore playing time or counting stat estimates. It also can't account for things like injuries or swing adjustments. If you take it as gospel, you won't win much. But you can learn a lot if you understand why it spits out the numbers it does.

The best part about Steamer is that it is updated daily in season. I find as players go on hot streaks or slumps, it's a good reality check for what to expect going forward. It's also good for putting minor league stats into an MLB context.

In the case of Gleyber Torres, Steamer's pessimistic 247/314/378 projection is a helpful reminder that he only has 235 PA above A-ball, and his AAA numbers were inflated by a lucky BABIP. Obviously he has the talent to outperform that, but it's worth being cautious.

• Like 5

What are the odds this guy gets the start at beginning of the season?  I picked him up at end of last season in a 16 team keeper league.  Was a  gamble for me since only had 5 keepers.  

17 minutes ago, TekilaAF said:

What are the odds this guy gets the start at beginning of the season?  I picked him up at end of last season in a 16 team keeper league.  Was a  gamble for me since only had 5 keepers.  

well if he goes back to triple A for like 2 weeks he has another year of control.

but as of right now, it looks like andujar and torres are starting 2nd and 3rd, with torryes as a backup.  If the yankees sign moustakus (sp?) or anyone else, i could see him going back down for 2 weeks and letting torryes play 2nd for a few weeks.

so id watch if the yanks sign anyone.  if they dont then i think he has a chance to stay up at the start. but they can also still send him down and keep up a UTL player from AAA like wade.

so its a coin flip IMO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, einstein2u said:

so maybe he ill be in the minors longer with the addition of drury.

Nay I think Andujar is the one blocked now.

14 hours ago, TekilaAF said:

Not too impressed with Gleyber so far in ST...

What exactly aren't you impressed with?

22 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What exactly aren't you impressed with?

He's only got 1 hit for starters.  At least he isnt striking out like Moncada though.  I am really hoping he can get the start by mid-April but as of right now, it doesnt seem he will make the intiial cut.

3 minutes ago, TekilaAF said:

He's only got 1 hit for starters.  At least he isnt striking out like Moncada though.  I am really hoping he can get the start by mid-April but as of right now, it doesnt seem he will make the intiial cut.

I'm was basically just saying, support your claim with information. "Not too impressed with Gleyber so far in ST", isn't really a helpful comment for anyone reading a forum.

I hadn't seen him play before this spring. I really don't like that he lays the bat on his back still right before the pitch. It gave me a feeling that reminded me of watching Baez in his first spring action with that crazy bat wave. It just looks like a start to the swing that is nearly impossible to help with timing/adjustment/waiting back. Seems like he needs to get that bat head up and stop making a difficult thing (MLB hitting) more difficult. 

1 hour ago, TekilaAF said:

so on monday, when you originally posted that you weren't impressed with him, he only had a total of five PA in spring training (with one double as result). were you seriously basing your determination about whether or not he'll make the opening day roster on five plate appearances?

2 hours ago, TekilaAF said:

I really, truly, honestly, do not give a single crap about the numbers put up in ST. They are the most useless stats to go by...ever. And perhaps Torres was never meant to make the cut...gives the Yanks another year of control, from what I understand. 

Are the Yankees going to play patient with Gleyber this year with the Walker and Drury signings or do we think they are going to bring him up after about 2 weeks to gain the extra team control and let him loose in the bigs? I'm sure it will be dependent on how he fairs in AAA in the begininng of the year but what are we looking at in terms of ETA here?

39 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

Are the Yankees going to play patient with Gleyber this year with the Walker and Drury signings or do we think they are going to bring him up after about 2 weeks to gain the extra team control and let him loose in the bigs? I'm sure it will be dependent on how he fairs in AAA in the begininng of the year but what are we looking at in terms of ETA here?

It'll be a fluid situation as you have already mentioned. He'll need to hit and prove he deserves the spot and Walker and Drury will have to give the Yankees a reason to open a spot for Gleyber.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, Csiebert5 said:

It looks like the Yankees are being smart and methodical. Torres is only 21 and lost a year to injury, so I don't think this is about control. They took steps to make their infield pretty good without having to rush Torres back, and now they'll let that play out. Drury and Walker might be surprisingly good, but at the very least they'll probably hold their own. It makes sense to let Gleyber shake off the rust in AAA for 100 ABs and then look at his progress vs. what the veterans are doing. It's a long season and an even longer career, so the only people who should care about a spring, summer, or 2019 arrival are fantasy owners, and we don't count.

• Like 3

Neil Walker is an underrated player. As a Yankees fan, I don’t see a scenario before the super 2, without injury being the reason. 

I expect the Yankees to call him up in the next 2 weeks. I believe April 15th/16th is the date he needs to stay in the minors until the Yankees gain an extra year of control. It wouldn't surprise me if he's called up then. 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:01 PM, absknicks said:

I expect the Yankees to call him up in the next 2 weeks. I believe April 15th/16th is the date he needs to stay in the minors until the Yankees gain an extra year of control. It wouldn't surprise me if he's called up then. 

Call it my optimism but the signs of a call up seem promising with the injuries piling up and the struggles with Andujar and Wade.  If Austin gets suspended I would hope they call him up.  I have seen conflicted reports that he can be called up as of this friday, the 15th or 16th to avoid the service time.  

Surely they're doing it to avoid service time, but it might not be a good idea to have Torres "learning" 2nd base at the mlb level. He's got all of 9 innings played at 2b this season in Triple-A.

If Torres keeps it up by mid-May and Tyler Wade doesn't turn his hitting around, he probably gets his call up.

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2018 at 4:27 PM, Dark Kn19ht said:

To dampen spirits, Hicks is coming off the DL soon...

Torres call up, would have nothing to do with Hicks

Edited by rich22

19 minutes ago, rich22 said:

Torres call up, would have nothing to do with Hicks

Hicks coming up puts him in the OF pushing Judge or Stanton to DH giving one less roster spot for Torres to be utilized for. Torres doesn't play OF, but Hicks is another piece to clog the roster overall. That's why I said, "to dampen spirits", not completely squash them.

Hicks in my opinion is another productive bat that allows for the production out of 2B and 3B to be stomached a touch more than usual.

• Like 1