Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, einstein2u said:

streamers have him at

.247, 7hr, 9 sb, 76 games, k 22% of the time.

i was hoping for more.

dont know why you guys take things like this so SRS

• Like 1

With the Headley move it sure looks like the Yankees are planning for him to be in the majors to start the season. Of course they could still re-sign Frazier, but with power abundant elsewhere on the team it makes more sense for them to concentrate on a player with contact skills and some speed. If Torres can impress during ST he can be their 3B right out of the gate in 2018.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, einstein2u said:

streamers have him at

.247, 7hr, 9 sb, 76 games, k 22% of the time.

i was hoping for more.

Who cares about what one site thinks?  Everything I've seen posted about this steamers site over the years here is a total turn-off to me.  They seem totally loopy.

• Like 1

I find Steamer projections very useful, but you have to understand what they are. It's a purely math-based projection system.

I focus more on its percentages and ignore playing time or counting stat estimates. It also can't account for things like injuries or swing adjustments. If you take it as gospel, you won't win much. But you can learn a lot if you understand why it spits out the numbers it does.

The best part about Steamer is that it is updated daily in season. I find as players go on hot streaks or slumps, it's a good reality check for what to expect going forward. It's also good for putting minor league stats into an MLB context.

In the case of Gleyber Torres, Steamer's pessimistic 247/314/378 projection is a helpful reminder that he only has 235 PA above A-ball, and his AAA numbers were inflated by a lucky BABIP. Obviously he has the talent to outperform that, but it's worth being cautious.

• Like 5