Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

They're not gonna accelerate his timetable as a result of the Didi injury. That'd be shortsighted. 

Good news is he's starting in AA and things have a way of happening quickly once you produce at that level. Originally I would've said best case scenario is a September call-up for 2017 but if he rakes right from the get-go and really forces the Yankees hand I could see a mid-Summer call-up. That's a big IF, obviously, since he's never been up the A level so far, but not out of the realm of possibility.

11 hours ago, absknicks said:

They're not gonna accelerate his timetable as a result of the Didi injury. That'd be shortsighted. 

Good news is he's starting in AA and things have a way of happening quickly once you produce at that level. Originally I would've said best case scenario is a September call-up for 2017 but if he rakes right from the get-go and really forces the Yankees hand I could see a mid-Summer call-up. That's a big IF, obviously, since he's never been up the A level so far, but not out of the realm of possibility.

I cannot wait! Got to see him in person last week...#REALDEAL

On 3/23/2017 at 4:49 AM, absknicks said:

i mean, im pumped as a yankee fan...but they wont bring him up unless hes going to start 6/7 games...

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i mean, im pumped as a yankee fan...but they wont bring him up unless hes going to start 6/7 games...

Yeah, but if he's raking at AA/AAA I'm sure they'll have no problem finding playing time for him at the MLB level. Not like we have a bunch of world beaters on the major league roster at the moment... especially in the infield 

Just now, absknicks said:

Yeah, but if he's raking at AA/AAA I'm sure they'll have no problem finding playing time for him at the MLB level. Not like we have a bunch of world beaters on the major league roster at the moment... especially in the infield 

agree...but im telling you they wont bring him up unless someone is hurt or so bad they get benched.

it sucks but its the yankee way

Chase is just putrid. No reason why Torres is not up in May sometime. I swear being a Yankee fan hurts sometime. I wonder if Glyber is worth rostering in a deep seasonal league?

This is one prospect that I'm really having a difficult time gauging long-term ceiling for.  What do you guys see as his potential ceiling?

I know what he is, I just truly don't know what to think of his long term power.

It's hard to project because what you thought he could be based on his first year at A ball and the experience of the last year are so very different. I think his power upside is maybe in the 20-25 home run range perhaps with a career year that reaches 30. If I had to guess, we're talking about an ~.800-850 or so OPS guy in his peak years.

1 hour ago, oswald737 said:

It's hard to project because what you thought he could be based on his first year at A ball and the experience of the last year are so very different. I think his power upside is maybe in the 20-25 home run range perhaps with a career year that reaches 30. If I had to guess, we're talking about an ~.800-850 or so OPS guy in his peak years.

Same traits as Hanley after seeing him LIVE with the big long power stroke. I think that is the upside in age 22-23 with an added 10 pounds of mass, no matter what level he is at.

Looks like a man among boys at times, very confident and comfortable and knows where to take the ball at all time, all the signs of can't miss prospect IMO

When I see guys like this at age 19-20 the scream 30/30.

I'm very intrigued by Torres. The fact that the Yankees basically stole him off the Cubs for a few months of Chapman is amazing. But it helps Torres clear a path to the majors and playing in Yankee Stadium isn't a bad thing for a hitter. So I think it's an overall win for everyone involved that he's now in New York. The real question is how good is he? It's interesting, because I've seen some prospects lists put him in the teens or even 20s, but some very respected sites (BA and KLaw) have him Top 5. That's probably helped down play the hype a bit since he's not a consensus Top 5 guy. But the package looks amazing. There's no real major flaw and I think the only real reason there's not more hype are the combined facts that he's an international signing (meaning he was not a hyped draft pick), has only played professional ball as a teenager (so he's real young), and he hasn't moved beyond A ball. But his Arizona Fall League performance was amazing and he looked great in his brief spring training at bats. If he's truly elite, he can easily force the Yankees hands here, so Torres is basically setting his own time table. Hit in AA and you'll move fast. Don't hit and it may take a bit more time.

On 3/28/2017 at 1:34 PM, CraftyRighty said:

Same traits as Hanley after seeing him LIVE with the big long power stroke. I think that is the upside in age 22-23 with an added 10 pounds of mass, no matter what level he is at.

Looks like a man among boys at times, very confident and comfortable and knows where to take the ball at all time, all the signs of can't miss prospect IMO

When I see guys like this at age 19-20 the scream 30/30.

30/30? What on earth...Even aggressive projections for him aren't that wild. 25/10 is pushing it. 

14 hours ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

30/30? What on earth...Even aggressive projections for him aren't that wild. 25/10 is pushing it. 

The 30 homers may happen, but I cannot see the 30 steals at all. As you noted, double digits is aggressive based on previous production.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:21 AM, oswald737 said:

The 30 homers may happen, but I cannot see the 30 steals at all. As you noted, double digits is aggressive based on previous production.

As the homers go up though the steals go down. If he's hitting 30 I doubt he gets to double digit steals. He's going to fill out more and the speed will drop. 

On 4/1/2017 at 11:21 PM, Jericho said:

I'm very intrigued by Torres. The fact that the Yankees basically stole him off the Cubs for a few months of Chapman is amazing. But it helps Torres clear a path to the majors and playing in Yankee Stadium isn't a bad thing for a hitter. So I think it's an overall win for everyone involved that he's now in New York. The real question is how good is he? It's interesting, because I've seen some prospects lists put him in the teens or even 20s, but some very respected sites (BA and KLaw) have him Top 5. That's probably helped down play the hype a bit since he's not a consensus Top 5 guy. But the package looks amazing. There's no real major flaw and I think the only real reason there's not more hype are the combined facts that he's an international signing (meaning he was not a hyped draft pick), has only played professional ball as a teenager (so he's real young), and he hasn't moved beyond A ball. But his Arizona Fall League performance was amazing and he looked great in his brief spring training at bats. If he's truly elite, he can easily force the Yankees hands here, so Torres is basically setting his own time table. Hit in AA and you'll move fast. Don't hit and it may take a bit more time.

If you think the Yankees "stole" him from the Cubs you don't know how deadline/mid-season deals work.  Trust me when I tell you - people a heck of a lot smarter than you/I (Theo/Jed) don't remotely believe they were "fleeced".  If you're speaking to the fact that Cashman knew he had the inside track to sign Chapman, two things: 1)  There's nothing you can do if a player wants to return to a city/team & they are offering the most money 2)  The Cubs didn't even make an attempt to sign Chapman for multiple reasons.

Back on Torres:  He's going to be a VERY good ML player - but the 30/30 comps are simply laughable. He doesn't project to be an elite power hitter and the kid hasn't stolen 30 bases in the minors. 

Realistically you're looking at a 20/10 kid unless he goes all Lindor on us. Not sure why his power projections decided to shoot up 10-15HRs as soon as he put on a Yankee uniform. Gleyber's a great prospect because he has no weakness. His tools are above average across the board, but he doesn't have any true plus tools. He's a very safe prospect to own with a very high floor.

3 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Realistically you're looking at a 20/10 kid unless he goes all Lindor on us. Not sure why his power projections decided to shoot up 10-15HRs as soon as he put on a Yankee uniform. Gleyber's a great prospect because he has no weakness. His tools are above average across the board, but he doesn't have any true plus tools. He's a very safe prospect to own with a very high floor.

This.  Yankee hype because he is precisely what you said - a great prospect because he has no weaknesses, but he doesn't project to have a tool that is truly elite/plus (maybe outside of defensively/arm).

He's 20 years old. This is his first season above A-ball. Anyone trying to say he won't exceed a certain number in a given category with any degree of certainty right now is full of it. 

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

He's 20 years old. This is his first season above A-ball. Anyone trying to say he won't exceed a certain number in a given category with any degree of certainty right now is full of it. 

It has nothing at all to do with "exceeding a given category" it has to do with a skill set and God given athletic ability.  I'm a huge Torres fan; HUGE.  However, the 30/30 comps are downright laughable.  Especially when it comes to something like speed - you either have elite speed or you don't.  The kid has above average speed, but not elite speed.

His SKILL set (actual athletic ability) is that of someone who exceeds in every category - he will more than likely be an elite defender, but he doesn't grade out to be elite in any other category.  

On 4/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, IlliniGuy76 said:

If you think the Yankees "stole" him from the Cubs you don't know how deadline/mid-season deals work.  Trust me when I tell you - people a heck of a lot smarter than you/I (Theo/Jed) don't remotely believe they were "fleeced".  If you're speaking to the fact that Cashman knew he had the inside track to sign Chapman, two things: 1)  There's nothing you can do if a player wants to return to a city/team & they are offering the most money 2)  The Cubs didn't even make an attempt to sign Chapman for multiple reasons.

Back on Torres:  He's going to be a VERY good ML player - but the 30/30 comps are simply laughable. He doesn't project to be an elite power hitter and the kid hasn't stolen 30 bases in the minors. 

No, the Yankees stole him. When the Cubs traded for Chapman, they were all but guaranteed to make the playoffs. Chapman was acquired purely for the postseason. So the Cubs gave up what many feel is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, and in return they got 15.2 innings of meaningful Chapman play. And sadly, Chapman wasn't even that good in those innings, posting a 3.45 ERA and blowing three saves (including in Game 7 of the World Series). It was a vast overpay at the time, bad in retrospect (considering how Chapman performed), and potentially horrible if Torres reaches his potential.

The good news for the Cubs? They still won the 2016 World Series. They're absolutely loaded as a team. They'll be fine in the long run. But it was still a bad trade for them. And the Yankees? They were going no where in 2016. And now they have Torres AND Chapman. That's stealing a top prospect.

13 hours ago, absknicks said:

Pretty much this. Torres does not have elite speed. He does have good speed and has show an intent to try and steal (but not super successfully). We'll see how he does. Guys like Paul Goldschmidt and Ryan Braun have had 30+ steal seasons. So it's not like you have to be Billy Hamilton. But, predicting steals, particularly this far out, is a fool's errand. If Torres makes it to the majors, he'll certainly run some given his history. How much and how well are yet to be seen.

3 hours ago, Jericho said:

No, the Yankees stole him. When the Cubs traded for Chapman, they were all but guaranteed to make the playoffs. Chapman was acquired purely for the postseason. So the Cubs gave up what many feel is a top 5 prospect in all of baseball, and in return they got 15.2 innings of meaningful Chapman play. And sadly, Chapman wasn't even that good in those innings, posting a 3.45 ERA and blowing three saves (including in Game 7 of the World Series). It was a vast overpay at the time, bad in retrospect (considering how Chapman performed), and potentially horrible if Torres reaches his potential.

The good news for the Cubs? They still won the 2016 World Series. They're absolutely loaded as a team. They'll be fine in the long run. But it was still a bad trade for them. And the Yankees? They were going no where in 2016. And now they have Torres AND Chapman. That's stealing a top prospect.

OK - so you don't know how deadline deals throughout the history of the sport work.  The Cubs - and I follow them religiously - had one gaping/huge hole:  Closer and they went out and got the best closer in baseball.  The team they played in the first round didn't advance because they didn't have one, and the Cubs leaned on Chapman throughout that playoff run.

Torres is a very good prospect and one that might even see an All Star game or two on the ML level?  Yep.  The Cubs didn't "overpay" for Chapman - the Yankees were looking to unload Chapman knowing that they were going to get the type of haul they got from the Cubs as other teams were willing to give the Yankees similar to what the Cubs gave them.  The Cubs had something the Yankees very badly were seeking - a very good middle infield prospect.  In your World any trade that any team makes in June to bolster their playoff run, the team getting the hot shot prospect is "stealing" the trade.  How wrong is that statement.  Good/great teams in the game do this every single year since the existence of the trade deadline. Anyway....

It was a terrifically fantastic trade for the Cubs AND the New York Yankees and most anyone in baseball would say the same exact thing (and have previously).  This really isn't even a debatable point quite frankly.

24 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

OK - so you don't know how deadline deals throughout the history of the sport work.  The Cubs - and I follow them religiously - had one gaping/huge hole:  Closer and they went out and got the best closer in baseball.  The team they played in the first round didn't advance because they didn't have one, and the Cubs leaned on Chapman throughout that playoff run.

Torres is a very good prospect and one that might even see an All Star game or two on the ML level?  Yep.  The Cubs didn't "overpay" for Chapman - the Yankees were looking to unload Chapman knowing that they were going to get the type of haul they got from the Cubs as other teams were willing to give the Yankees similar to what the Cubs gave them.  The Cubs had something the Yankees very badly were seeking - a very good middle infield prospect.  In your World any trade that any team makes in June to bolster their playoff run, the team getting the hot shot prospect is "stealing" the trade.  How wrong is that statement.  Good/great teams in the game do this every single year since the existence of the trade deadline. Anyway....

It was a terrifically fantastic trade for the Cubs AND the New York Yankees and most anyone in baseball would say the same exact thing (and have previously).  This really isn't even a debatable point quite frankly.

just because the cubs got what they wanted, and needed, in a shutdown closer doesn't mean they didn't overpay. i don't know if torres was an overpay or not, but i think it was an extremely steep price and i also believe they could have found cheaper options and received the same results. i certainly can't prove it though, anymore than you can prove they wouldn't have won the series without chapman, so at the end of the day it's just an opinion. nobody is right and nobody is wrong.. we're all entitled to our own beliefs when it comes to situations that are quantifiable.