Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

Just now, osb_tensor said:

just because the cubs got what they wanted, and needed, in a shutdown closer doesn't mean they didn't overpay. i don't know if torres was an overpay or not, but i think it was an extremely steep price and i also believe they could have found cheaper options and received the same results. i certainly can't prove it though, anymore than you can prove they wouldn't have won the series without chapman, so at the end of the day it's just an opinion. nobody is right and nobody is wrong.. we're all entitled to our own beliefs when it comes to situations that are quantifiable.

My argument is this:  Getting the best closer in baseball, at a crucial need for a Championship contending club and giving up a very good prospect, isn't overpaying.  It's been done every single year, multiple times a year, in baseball history; that's not opinion, that's fact.  

It's not an overpay - you're going out and giving another team market worth for said player.   The Yankees would have  gotten a similar deal (talent wise) from another club if it wasn't the Cubs.  Again - the Cubs just happened to have what they wanted/needed... middle infield help.

14 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

My argument is this:  Getting the best closer in baseball, at a crucial need for a Championship contending club and giving up a very good prospect, isn't overpaying.  It's been done every single year, multiple times a year, in baseball history; that's not opinion, that's fact.  

It's not an overpay - you're going out and giving another team market worth for said player.   The Yankees would have  gotten a similar deal (talent wise) from another club if it wasn't the Cubs.  Again - the Cubs just happened to have what they wanted/needed... middle infield help.

couple of thoughts and i'm done

#1 - trading for the best closer in baseball does not happen every year, multiple times. not even possible when you really think about it.. (snarky comment, as i know what you were trying to say)

#2 - you have no idea what any other team would have actually traded for chapman.. if the next best offer was tim tebow and a bag of peanuts, then yeah the cubs overpaid. i don't know what the next best offer was and neither do you.

my argument is this: you're opinion is not a fact, quit acting like it is. people are allowed to have beliefs that differ from yours. it's not like math where it's black and white, it's someone's opinion on value. you don't get to dictate what's right and wrong. this board is full of opinions, it's what we're here for, but recognize what they are.

7 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

couple of thoughts and i'm done

#1 - trading for the best closer in baseball does not happen every year, multiple times. not even possible when you really think about it.. (snarky comment, as i know what you were trying to say)

#2 - you have no idea what any other team would have actually traded for chapman.. if the next best offer was tim tebow and a bag of peanuts, then yeah the cubs overpaid. i don't know what the next best offer was and neither do you.

my argument is this: you're opinion is not a fact, quit acting like it is. people are allowed to have beliefs that differ from yours. it's not like math where it's black and white, it's someone's opinion on value. you don't get to dictate what's right and wrong. this board is full of opinions, it's what we're here for, but recognize what they are.

1.  I actually wasn't saying that.  I was saying players (mid-tier, elite, and the best at their position) are traded every June.  

2.   Of course I don't know what the next best offer was.  Here's what I can tell you:  Brian Cashman is a very smart GM.  I'd venture to guess he didn't undersell himself when putting Chapman out on the market.  Saying that - trading a top tiered prospect for the best at his position isn't overpaying no matter how you cut it - opinion, fact etc.

Back on Torres - he should make the big league team this year.  He's going to be fun to watch at Yankee Stadium.

I don't ever view a going for it move as an overpay when it's done by a true contender. I don't view Chapman deal as an overpay  and I don't view the package the Cubs gave up for Rich Harden an overpay(Sean Gallagher,Josh Donaldson,Matt Murton and Eric Patterson). This is especially true of the Cubs, while a team that wins every 5 years or so like the Cardinals I can see it being viewed differently.

21 hours ago, einstein2u said:

35 ab, 9hits, 0 hr, 2rbis, 5bb, 1 sb, 2 CS avg .257

kind of was expecting more.

Wasn't he the one of the hottest hitters in the minors a few days ago? I could be misremembering. 

On 4/29/2017 at 11:00 PM, einstein2u said:

HR#1

That whole thing with Gleyber Torres playing second base is over. He will stick to the left side, for now. #Yankees http://pinstripedprospects.com/gleyber-happy-to-be-back-manager-says-second-base-no-longer-in-plans-21386 

Castro cementing himself as the 2B of the future played a role in this.

2 hours ago, Folarin said:

Castro cementing himself as the 2B of the future played a role in this.

Agreed. I could see Castro move to 3B though and Torres slot in to SS, Didi to 2B or 3B. It will work itself out but a hole opens once Headley is gone after this year (I think).

That story was incorrect. He hasn't stopped playing 2B. It was a miscommunication within the organization that was subsequently corrected. 

Killing it. Now with a .852 OPS at AA and he's 20 years old in his first season above A ball. You'll see him in the majors come July, IMO. 

5 hours ago, absknicks said:

Killing it. Now with a .852 OPS at AA and he's 20 years old in his first season above A ball. You'll see him in the majors come July, IMO. 

Assuming everyone is healthy where is he playing? They aren't calling him up to sit on the bench

6 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

Assuming everyone is healthy where is he playing? They aren't calling him up to sit on the bench

Third base. Headley stinks and the Yankees have known it for a while now. 

Another bomb today. Third homer in last 4 games. 

On 5/17/2017 at 7:14 AM, absknicks said:

Third base. Headley stinks and the Yankees have known it for a while now. 

I think Castro would go to 3rd so he would probably go to 2B

13 minutes ago, KarlJ. said:

i would welcome this move with open arms as 3B is a black hole for me this year (bregman).

2 hours ago, KarlJ. said:

Huh? No chance. Gleyber's been playing 3B multiple days a week down at AA and I don't think Castro has played a game there in his entire career. 

He's played 18 games at SS, 5 at 2B, 4 at 3B and 2 at DH. I don't think there's a set plan or position for him to takeover. If there was, I think he'd be playing that position every day.  If/when there's an injury in the Yankees infield I think he'll move into that vacant spot wherever that may be. If there's no injury I could see him in a Baez type role come Aug/Sept. Just my opinion.