Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, absknicks said:

 

Huh? No chance. Gleyber's been playing 3B multiple days a week down at AA and I don't think Castro has played a game there in his entire career. 

Hmm I know there was talk of Castro going to 3b in the preseason.  Maybe the Yanks abandoned that plan

A few posts ago someone pointed out Torres's games played by position and he has actually played more games at 2B than 3B this season so him going to 2B is not outlandish

http://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/1/19/14317460/yankees-analysis-starlin-castro-third-base-headley-torres-mateo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I so badly want this kid called up to what is already an exciting Yankees team to watch. Get Headley outta here and let this kid play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've been saying he's coming a lot sooner than most realize. My prediction is still July. Could even be earlier... the Yankees aren't going to let Chase Headley stink it up all year again now that they have a contender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, absknicks said:

As I've been saying he's coming a lot sooner than most realize. My prediction is still July. Could even be earlier... the Yankees aren't going to let Chase Headley stink it up all year again now that they have a contender. 

 

Im with you there. I think what you are going to see with the Yankees this year is a little what you saw this the Cubs the last two years. Youth breaking through before expected and they will make a couple deals at the deadline for some SPs and could make a run. They fall short and are primed and ready for 2018/2019 runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he was bumbped up to AAA today

 

just heard on YES broadcast

 

he got his first AAA single

 

wondering if they are considering calling him up this year for headly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

he was bumbped up to AAA today

 

just heard on YES broadcast

 

he got his first AAA single

 

wondering if they are considering calling him up this year for headly?

 

I would recommend that you review the last couple pages for that discussion. Key to note that he slotted right into the 3 hole in Scranton and he did play 3B in his first game. I am now in the camp that this is coming and it is probably coming over the next 2 months.

 

Carlos Correa (Age 20) played at Double A for 29 games at .385/.459/.726 before being promoted to Triple A on May 11. He slashed .276/.345/.449 over 24 games at AAA. He was promoted to MLB level on June 7, 2015.

 

Glyber Torres (age 20) played at Double A for 32 games at .273/.367/.496 before being promoted to Triple A on May 21. He slashed.....

 

The parallels are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, oswald737 said:

 

I would recommend that you review the last couple pages for that discussion. Key to note that he slotted right into the 3 hole in Scranton and he did play 3B in his first game. I am now in the camp that this is coming and it is probably coming over the next 2 months.

 

Carlos Correa (Age 20) played at Double A for 29 games at .385/.459/.726 before being promoted to Triple A on May 11. He slashed .276/.345/.449 over 24 games at AAA. He was promoted to MLB level on June 7, 2015.

 

Glyber Torres (age 20) played at Double A for 32 games at .273/.367/.496 before being promoted to Triple A on May 21. He slashed.....

 

The parallels are there.

wondering if hell play 2nd and castro 3rd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2017 at 9:19 AM, oswald737 said:

 

I would recommend that you review the last couple pages for that discussion. Key to note that he slotted right into the 3 hole in Scranton and he did play 3B in his first game. I am now in the camp that this is coming and it is probably coming over the next 2 months.

 

Carlos Correa (Age 20) played at Double A for 29 games at .385/.459/.726 before being promoted to Triple A on May 11. He slashed .276/.345/.449 over 24 games at AAA. He was promoted to MLB level on June 7, 2015.

 

Glyber Torres (age 20) played at Double A for 32 games at .273/.367/.496 before being promoted to Triple A on May 21. He slashed.....

 

The parallels are there.

 

Correa was hitting far better in AA before being promoted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a .100+ difference between Correa and Torres in AVG and OBP. That is enormous. I don't see a parallel. One organization promoted after a mastery of a level, albeit a small sample size. One organization seems to be aggressively pushing a player through the level before dominance is established. I would  rather see Glyber master AA or AAA before getting pushed to the MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple things to consider. 

 

1)  The AA numbers we're looking at for both Correa and Torres are both relatively small sample sizes so take that into account when trying to compare the two. 

2) Corpus Christi is a hitters park. Trenton is a pitchers park

 

in other words trying to compare Torres and Correa's AA stats is probably an exercise in futility.  I trust the scouts much more than I trust 100-150 AA ABs from two different ballparks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone questions Gleyber's potential. I think the only thing people can debate is how the Yankees are handling/progressing his development. It isn't like the promotion to AAA is unwarranted. Hopefully he dominates AAA. I prefer to see him dominate AAA before he gets called up to the MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

There is a .100+ difference between Correa and Torres in AVG and OBP. That is enormous. I don't see a parallel. One organization promoted after a mastery of a level, albeit a small sample size. One organization seems to be aggressively pushing a player through the level before dominance is established. I would  rather see Glyber master AA or AAA before getting pushed to the MLB. 

 

The parallel is the timing as much as anything else. Also need to remember that Gleyber Torres was the AFL MVP and outperformed Happ, Bellinger and a number of other players who are currently in MLB. Furthermore, Torres's K/BB is reflective of a guy who is competing at the level he is currently facing. He had his power surge, then the Yankees moved him up.

 

I am not confident that Torres will be an impact MLB player this season. I am increasingly confident, however, that if Torres succeeds at AAA over the next 2-4 weeks and Chase Headley continues to be the Headley we have seen in the recent years (with the April success this year being a massive outlier), the Torres will be manning 3B for the Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

 

The parallel is the timing as much as anything else. Also need to remember that Gleyber Torres was the AFL MVP and outperformed Happ, Bellinger and a number of other players who are currently in MLB. Furthermore, Torres's K/BB is reflective of a guy who is competing at the level he is currently facing. He had his power surge, then the Yankees moved him up.

 

I am not confident that Torres will be an impact MLB player this season. I am increasingly confident, however, that if Torres succeeds at AAA over the next 2-4 weeks and Chase Headley continues to be the Headley we have seen in the recent years (with the April success this year being a massive outlier), the Torres will be manning 3B for the Yankees.

You say parallel, I say coincidence. I am in total agreement with not expecting Torres to be an impact at the MLB level this year. I am in no way saying Torres isn't competing or performing well at AA. If there was not a need at the MLB level with the Yankees competing I would struggle to think the Yankees would have promoted him. What other players are doing on other teams that you mentioned has no impact on Torres and any other organization. Bellinger got the call because of injuries. Happ as well. Every team has different objectives for the season and every player has a different scenario that leads to their MLB call up. Whether Torres played better over a 2 week period compared to Happ or Bellinger should have zero impact on how a team handles his development. Again, you can say parallel, I say coincidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

You say parallel, I say coincidence. I am in total agreement with not expecting Torres to be an impact at the MLB level this year. I am in no way saying Torres isn't competing or performing well at AA. If there was not a need at the MLB level with the Yankees competing I would struggle to think the Yankees would have promoted him. What other players are doing on other teams that you mentioned has no impact on Torres and any other organization. Bellinger got the call because of injuries. Happ as well. Every team has different objectives for the season and every player has a different scenario that leads to their MLB call up. Whether Torres played better over a 2 week period compared to Happ or Bellinger should have zero impact on how a team handles his development. Again, you can say parallel, I say coincidence. 

 

That's totally reasonable. We'll see if Torres keeps playing 3B everyday and we should know over the next month whether it was coincidence... or a parallel.

 

Tonight marks 4 announced lineups (1 rained out) and 4 games at 3B for Torres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-3 tonight . Really hope he keeps putting on the pressure to push the Yankees hand . Love this guy in the Yankees lineup . Waiting to pick him up over Rosario right now . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2017 at 1:44 PM, oswald737 said:

 

That's totally reasonable. We'll see if Torres keeps playing 3B everyday and we should know over the next month whether it was coincidence... or a parallel.

 

Tonight marks 4 announced lineups (1 rained out) and 4 games at 3B for Torres.

I hope for everyone that has a stake in Torres (I don't) that he crushes AAA and gets called up. The Yankees are contending and need help at 3B and maybe Torres can provide it and they will rush him to find out. I don't recall Correa being moved out of his natural position to get brought up, but if he was, then I would say it is a parallel situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see. He's struggling a bit out of the gate at AAA (nothing major or unexpected), so he'll need to make the positive adjustments before those talks become serious, but the Yankees are in first place and getting incredibly poor production out of 3B. I simply cannot see them keeping Headley as a starter if they feel that they have another option in house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.