Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

ANYONE THINKING HE MIGHT GET THE CALL UP BEFORE MONCADA?

 

It's definitely possible. I'm pretty sure the Sox are keeping Moncada down to avoid Super 2 status. And while we're getting close to the point were Super 2 might not be a worry anymore, Moncada has to wait an additional month due to the service time he got last year. Which likely means no Moncada til after the All-Star break. Torres isn't under that restriction, so we could see him earlier. He hasn't been lighting it up. And his value is reduced by not being a shortstop. But I could still see it happening

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

ANYONE THINKING HE MIGHT GET THE CALL UP BEFORE MONCADA?

If you are playing in a re-draft league I don't think it matters much. Moncada has shown far greater fantasy upside than Torres. Doesn't really matter how much earlier Torres gets the call, I would much rather stash Moncada because he should be elite in steals and I don't see Torres being elite or above average in any category this year. Just talking re-draft. 

 

Torres has a total of 150 at-bats above A ball. In the minors, he has never hit above .300 except in 8 games in 2014 in short season. Yes, the kid is super talented. Yes, he demonstrates advanced baseball intellect and skill. These are all exciting things long term, but I personally like to see someone crush the high levels of the minor leagues before I expect them to crush it in the MLB. Are you all hyped up for him to help the Yankees in real life? I understand that because the Yankees are a really exciting team. But if you are expecting a fantasy savior I think I would advise dealing him with the hype high to get anything above average that will help your team. Only talking re-draft. Do not sell him in dynasty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

But if you are expecting a fantasy savior I think I would advise dealing him with the hype high to get anything above average that will help your team. Only talking re-draft. Do not sell him in dynasty. 

 

This is a very good suggestion if we get to the point that a recall happens or at least seems imminent. I certainly would not expect Torres to be an immediate impact SS or 3B, but if someone in your league sees him as that and is willing to give an upgrade at another position for him, I'd jump on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

What was the cost in a keeper?  Would like to add

 

I paid Rizzo, Kipnis, Clint Frazier for N.Cruz, Keuchel, Torres...I know I overpaid but we only keep 4 and I am loaded up right now. This trade will help me a bunch more this year and help me fill a hole at SS/3B. With Rizzo 28 and having a doen year, it may be a good time to move. Like I said, I think I paid a bunch but 2-4 elite from Rizzo or 10 from Torres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nodnarbnap said:

 

I paid Rizzo, Kipnis, Clint Frazier for N.Cruz, Keuchel, Torres...I know I overpaid but we only keep 4 and I am loaded up right now. This trade will help me a bunch more this year and help me fill a hole at SS/3B. With Rizzo 28 and having a doen year, it may be a good time to move. Like I said, I think I paid a bunch but 2-4 elite from Rizzo or 10 from Torres

Stop it...you didn't overpay, but can't say for sure since I don't know your format. Frazier is benefiting from Yankees hype, but he has some major flaws to his game. You did well in the deal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Stop it...you didn't overpay, but can't say for sure since I don't know your format. Frazier is benefiting from Yankees hype, but he has some major flaws to his game. You did well in the deal. 

 

Thats comforting haha. I'll have Trout, Betts, Kershaw most likely as my other three keepers, and then Torres.

 

i can't wait to see what this kid can do in the majors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3-3 with a HR, 4 RBIs tonight... first big game he's had at AAA so it's still going to be a little bit, but if this is the start of a hot streak I could see things moving quickly considering how eager the Yankees are to get some production at third. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does he compare to the Bregman call up last year?  SS Prospect moved to 3B to fill a need.  He is younger than Bregman.  Is his upside somewhere between a Bregman and Correa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though it hasn't translated to the bigs yet, I think Bregman has the potential for slightly more pop, but Gleyber is much better on the bases. Neither of them is in the same galaxy as Correa/Lindor/Seager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Headley goes under the Medzona line which is getting pretty close, we should see him relatively sooner rather then later 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Though it hasn't translated to the bigs yet, I think Bregman has the potential for slightly more pop, but Gleyber is much better on the bases. Neither of them is in the same galaxy as Correa/Lindor/Seager.

Interesting statement considering we haven't seen what Torres can do yet. I remember Lindor wasn't being given the same respect as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Interesting statement considering we haven't seen what Torres can do yet. I remember Lindor wasn't being given the same respect as well. 

 

I was about to post something similar.  Lindor wasn't supposed to be in the same league as the other two and yet here we are. Torres could certainly join those three or...he could suck. There's only one way to find out...

Edited by Solar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torres has incredible talent, that much is for sure. When you're 20 years old and already knocking on the door to the Bronx, I'm pretty confident he won't go all Buxton on us but who knows. What I do see is Torres was given comparable grades to Lindor, Seager, and Correa (outside of Correa's raw power) at the height of everyone's prospect status. Grades aren't a precursor of what they'll accomplish in the majors but to declare Torres won't be in the same galaxy at this point is a bit silly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

Torres has incredible talent, that much is for sure. When you're 20 years old and already knocking on the door to the Bronx, I'm pretty confident he won't go all Buxton on us but who knows. What I do see is Torres was given comparable grades to Lindor, Seager, and Correa (outside of Correa's raw power) at the height of everyone's prospect status. Grades aren't a precursor of what they'll accomplish in the majors but to declare Torres won't be in the same galaxy at this point is a bit silly. 

Yankees are prudent with calling players up. How quickly we forget that we didn't call Sanchez or Judge up until they were 24. Obviously, Torres will be up sooner, but the Yankees love to hold their prospects in the minors to develop. I see us waiting until August to be honest. Almost like a trade deadline move.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Folarin said:

Yankees are prudent with calling players up. How quickly we forget that we didn't call Sanchez or Judge up until they were 24. Obviously, Torres will be up sooner, but the Yankees love to hold their prospects in the minors to develop. I see us waiting until August to be honest. Almost like a trade deadline move.

Yeah, the Yanks wouldn't rush any prospect before they thought he could handle the promotion which only makes Gleyber's progression that much more impressive. It seemed perfectly timed to maybe light a fire under Headley as well. I thought a September call up at BEST but maybe their confidence in Torres is greater than we realize. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In those years the Yankees were horrible, and had time to be prudent. Not sure if thats the case this season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...