Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tryptamine

Gleyber Torres - SS NYY

2 hours ago, Solar said:

I was about to post something similar.  Lindor wasn't supposed to be in the same league as the other two and yet here we are. Torres could certainly join those three or...he could suck. There's only one way to find out...

Lindor was a known GG level defensive shortstop. Gleyber doesn't have any tools that share that level.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

In those years the Yankees were horrible, and had time to be prudent. Not sure if thats the case this season 

Um, the Yankees haven't been horrible in 2 decades. They've been above .500 every year since 1992. Going above .500 in a 2 wildcard system is not horrible lmao.

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Lindor was a known GG level defensive shortstop. Gleyber doesn't have any tools that share that level.

Rosario is the better comp to Lindor. I've been preaching that for a minute. 

Barry Larkin is a good profile to Gleyber. I wanna say a name that shouldn't be spoken that wore the #2, BUT from a TOOLS perspective, they have the same hitting profile. Outstanding plate discipline, likes to hit ball the other way, plus speed.

Lindor looks better defensively but Gleyber is no butcher. He'll do fine wherever he is but in terms of fantasy value, I don't really care about defensive tools. Gleyber was actually given higher hit and power grades over Lindor. 

12 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Um, the Yankees haven't been horrible in 2 decades. They've been above .500 every year since 1992. Going above .500 in a 2 wildcard system is not horrible lmao.

I didn't mean horrible like Philly horrible, but by Yankees standards they were

If you asked me to give an ETA as a Yankees fan who scours every box score/article/forum in our minor league/major league system, I'd say that we're going to give Headley every chance to keep his job. Cashman was trying to trade for him for 3 years then signed him to a long term deal that runs until next season at 13 a pop. That's hard to get rid of. If the move is made, I think it's after the ASB and maybe in early August so he can be allowed on a playoff roster. He needs more AB's right now.

10 hours ago, Folarin said:

If you asked me to give an ETA as a Yankees fan who scours every box score/article/forum in our minor league/major league system, I'd say that we're going to give Headley every chance to keep his job. Cashman was trying to trade for him for 3 years then signed him to a long term deal that runs until next season at 13 a pop. That's hard to get rid of. If the move is made, I think it's after the ASB and maybe in early August so he can be allowed on a playoff roster. He needs more AB's right now.

Really? I'm a Yankees fan who does the exact same thing and have the exact opposite take. The Yankees are fed up with Headley and if Torres can put together a hot couple of weeks they'd be thrilled to hand the third base job over to him, IMO. 

16 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I'm posting only about fantasy production.  Lindor is far outperforming expectations on that front.

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

Really? I'm a Yankees fan who does the exact same thing and have the exact opposite take. The Yankees are fed up with Headley and if Torres can put together a hot couple of weeks they'd be thrilled to hand the third base job over to him, IMO. 

This is my thought as well. I think they have seen what they need to from Headley. They will keep him for utility and leadership but if Torres shows he is ready, Headley will not be the one stopping him.

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

Look at their history with Sanchez or Judge. Look how the Yankees used Joba or Hughes. Garder didn't come up until age 26. Cano was age 23 I believe. 

Cashman has a hard on for Headley's moneyball style of play and if we bench him right now, his value is toast in the off-season. I think ETA for Torres is near the trade deadline as we'd be looking to upgrade internally.  

Torres has only been above A ball for half a season now and is playing 2 new positions. Rosario is the player to own that's coming up soon in redrafts if you ask me.

I think this all comes down to Torres. If Torres gets on track at AAA and is hitting well, I think he's maybe 4-6 weeks away. If he continues to struggle to adjust, I don't think they would push him anyway.

22 hours ago, oswald737 said:

I think this all comes down to Torres. If Torres gets on track at AAA and is hitting well, I think he's maybe 4-6 weeks away. If he continues to struggle to adjust, I don't think they would push him anyway.

Not just hitting, don't forget he is learning new positions.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-66/

This is simple. The Yankees want him as the starter, now and for the next 10 years. If he looks to be dominating in any form in AAA for 3-4 weeks, he is coming up. When I say dominating I mean a hot streak that looks like he can handle the bigs.

This has nothing to do with Chase, all to do with Torres and his current level

What are we thinking any type of ceiling can be for this kid? .300 20/20 MI? I'm thinking he has a chance at 25+ bombs at his physical maturity peak. 

43 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

What are we thinking any type of ceiling can be for this kid? .300 20/20 MI? I'm thinking he has a chance at 25+ bombs at his physical maturity peak. 

At peak, I see more 25/15 or maybe 30/10 than 20/20. I think as he fills out, he'll add power and lose speed much like we've seen happen with Correa, Springer, etc.

i would agree that the yankees are in a different position this season.. 3B production has been putrid from headly and while ronald torreyes is at least a solid defensive fill-in, he's just as bad with the bat. obviously i don't know what the yanks will do, but i wouldn't be surprised if they deviated from the past precedent due to their current situation. 

either way, i'm excited to see torres in the majors.. i think he's a special player

5 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

Kind of a fluff article with a clickbait title. It basically says what we already know. Torres will be the Yankees 3B sooner or later. Torres has been hitting much, much better of late, but honestly Headley has been decent for the last few weeks (.319/.411/.426 in June).

Torres also have a 28.2% K-rate in AAA. I don't expect that lasts, but I think the Yankees will want to see that get down to closer or below 20% before making the move. I still think we're talking about a month (or a bit more) before a promotion.

Off Razzball:

As if the Yankees needed more positive news, Gleyber Torres has been en fuego in June, hitting .333/.408/.548 with 2 homers, and 13 RBIs in 11 games. The Yankeestop prospect is showing contact, power, and approach at AAA, and he’s only 20. The 30% strikeout rate in June isn’t great, but it doesn’t seem to be stopping him yet.

It's only a matter of time . Very latest I would say after trade deadline . Can't wait ... I've stashed him all year long . 

party pooper.

Cashman says first infield move would be to Tyler Wade, not Gleyber Torres

Hurt his left arm sliding into home today. Hopefully it's nothing serious.