Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bdsparty32

Wynton Bernard - OF DET

Here's a nice sleeper for all you deep dynasty leaguers. From Kiley McDaniel:

"Bernard was a 35th round senior sign out of Niagara by the Padres in 2012 and was treated as such: he got 267 PA in a year and half as a backup at four different levels, then was released. A Tigers scout based in SoCal, Tim McWilliam, saw the San Diego native, worked him out, then called his bosses and said they needed to see this kid, so they invited him to their annual open workout in Lakeland. At the open workout, Bernard ran in the 6.5’s and hit balls over the batter’s eye off a pitching machine throwing 90 mph.

Bernard signed after the workout, went to Spring Training and beat out prospects that got big bonuses for the regular center field job in Low-A in 2014. Bernard got 582 PA and hit .323/.394/.442 with 6 homers and 45 stolen bases while striking out in only 14.8% of plate appearances en route to winning Midwest League MVP. He’s 6’2/195 with 70 speed, plus defense and raw power and a 50 arm, though his game approach doesn’t tap into his power much. Bernard will head back to Lakeland in 2015 at age 24 and may move quickly if he keeps hitting like this. It’s hard to figure where this is headed next, but two Tigers execs compared him to Rajai Davis, which would be a remarkable career given the background."

If that wasn't intriguing enough for you, the Tigers decided to be aggressive with Bernard and had him skip A+ altogether. Through 35 games at AA, he's slashing .300/.347./.421 with 11 SB and 2 HR. And that's after he really struggled to begin the season, going 6 for 38 in his first 9 games. He's not going to be a star, but we all know how valuable Rajai Davis has been over the years in roto leagues. Definitely someone to keep an eye on moving forward. Plus, the way he's gotten to this point and his cool name make him easy to root for.

I am so glad I saw this. I just grabbed him in my deep dynasty. I am going to do more additional research and see if I can dig p videos though. I do love organizational darlings though. Mangerius Sierra is another prospect that the clubhouse seems to like more than scouts they are the ones that generally get a run at the bigs and succeed.

Average up to .323 now. If you take out those first 9 games where he was adjusting to AA pitching and just look at his stats from April 19th forward, he's slashing .375/.414/.542, good for a 175 wRC+.

Still playing really well at AA. He is currently 2nd in the Eastern League in Hits and SBs and 3rd in Doubles. Average at .315 for the year.