fletch44

Michael Kopech - P CHW

well i was waiting on Super 2 to pounce but looks like nothing is imminent - what are possibilities - over summer?  sept?  next April....

12 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

well i was waiting on Super 2 to pounce but looks like nothing is imminent - what are possibilities - over summer?  sept?  next April....

Honestly I think if he has 2 good starts in a row he'll get the call. He's just hit his worst slump in years at exactly the wrong time. 

• Like 1

Getting hit around a bit wouldn't concern me as much given his stuff, but the walks are way up again (25 free passes in his last 32 innings across 7 starts).  Control issues have always been the rub with him and I wouldn't call him up until he starts showing some consistency in that department.

• Like 2

8 walks in 3 innings tonight. That's almost impressive. 

Starting to think he won't be coming up this year.

Glasnow-esque.  

Wonder if his velocity was down, too.  That's an ugly line.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Wild Thing....You make my heart sing....

Wild thing....you make my butt sting!  I think we can safely cross promotion off for this year.  He’s regressing in all areas.  

You have to throw strikes in the major leagues, let alone in AAA (newsflash, I know!).  Everyone wanted to crown this guy the next great one, but if he doesn't figure out a way to locate pitches, he's never going to be effective on the major league level.  Of course that can very much change, but right now (and throughout his MILB career) he's got to learn to throw strikes & just blow people away with it.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

Gotta be something mechanical. Hasn’t had a BB/9 over 5 since 2016 in High A. It’s over 6 right now. Haven’t heard any talk of diminished velocity, so I doubt it’s injury related. He’s a tireless worker, I’m betting he figures it out

Yeah, it's pretty clearly mechanics. He was steadily improving his command until this season. Tinkering with new pitches/release point likely messed him up. 

A shame the White Sox have/had two potential front of the rotation starters in Kopech and Giolito, and both are moving backwards.  Pitching prospects are so mercurial and/or they end up on the shelf.  I really dislike rostering them on my minor league reserves.  Glasnow, Urias, Giolito, Kopech, Honeywell are just a handful that haven't worked out recently.   I know it's still early on for Kopech, and hopefully it's just a mechanical issue, but command has always been his Achilles Heel.  

10 hours ago, tm30 said:

A shame the White Sox have/had two potential front of the rotation starters in Kopech and Giolito, and both are moving backwards.  Pitching prospects are so mercurial and/or they end up on the shelf.  I really dislike rostering them on my minor league reserves.  Glasnow, Urias, Giolito, Kopech, Honeywell are just a handful that haven't worked out recently.   I know it's still early on for Kopech, and hopefully it's just a mechanical issue, but command has always been his Achilles Heel.  

Expanding on this, is there a pitcher similar to Kopech that turned things around drastically either at AAA before getting promoted or even improved enough to get to the majors and got better at the MLB level?  It would be nice to see that there is hope if there is an Ace in MLB that went through this. 

5 hours ago, FJZ12 said:

Expanding on this, is there a pitcher similar to Kopech that turned things around drastically either at AAA before getting promoted or even improved enough to get to the majors and got better at the MLB level?  It would be nice to see that there is hope if there is an Ace in MLB that went through this. 

I think there are a bunch. Bauer is the first that came to mind. bb/9 in AAA was 5+, now he's an ace.

Going back further, Koufax and Randy Johnson are probably the most famous examples. 

Kershaw walked 91 when he was 21 years old (171 IP), 81 at age 22 (204 IP). He was in the majors, but look how his control has changed since then.

Kopech is in a rut right now and just needs his mechanics adjusted. Last year he showed improvement, so it's there.

In a broad sense, yes there are plenty of examples, simply because control is the last thing to arrive for most pitchers, and lots of current big league power pitchers walked that same path. Put another way, a guy who tops out at 93-94 won't ever be able to reach back and hit 97-98, but a guy like Kopech already has the velo - halfway there - and now needs to learn to harness it. Problem is, only a relatively small portion of guys end up putting 2 and 2 together. That's why they're the elite. 

I owned Kershaw and Max when they were young bucks, and we were having the same conversation: is that walk rate ever coming down? In their case, they did make the transition from thrower to pitcher. Plenty of guys don't. But if you want a shot at the next Thor or Kershaw, then you gotta be the guy holding and rolling the dice on Kopech. 

• Like 1

I wonder if this isn't a case of boredom getting the best of Kopech.  I have a feeling if the White Sox called him up, his focus and command would improve dramatically. 

Just something to consider this is more like his first year at AAA.  I realize he had 3 starts at the end of last year but that's not a big enough sample size to really say he's regressing.  I think he just needs to adjust to the higher level of talent and when he does I think his numbers will improve.  There are a lot of guys who get beat up when getting their first exposure to AAA talent. 

Obviously the biggest concern is the command.  If he doesn't figure that out I foresee him potentially being a scary reliever/closer like Chapman became.

Tall guys that throw hard often have control issues. Young Sale is another example. 

If he's still walking 5+/9 a year from now, then I'll be worried. 

Last night: 5.0 IP - 4 H - 3 R - 2 ER - 4 BB - 6 K - 1 HR (89 pitches - 49 strikes, 40 balls).