avswsop91

Shohei Otani - SP/OF Japan

4 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

early comfort level for where you would draft him? what round? before or after whom (other SPs)? ...what tier perhaps?

I'd have him around the low-end of tier 2 starters.

Of course, what you consider tier 2 is relative - some would put Severino in that category after last season plus his minors experience. I would feel comfortable drafting Ohtani just ahead of Severino though, depending on how SPs are getting drafted, because I feel like hitters will adjust to Severino better this season. @bigmarc27 made a good point - I would expect no more than 170 innings from him though. But again, if it's stellar performance for those 170, or 150 even, I would still have him in the lower-end of tier 2 guys.

If you're drafting in a keeper league, once keepers are done, he'd likely be my first pick at 60 overall or lower.

Hope that helps. I'm sure others will have very different opinions on where to draft him in a non-dynasty.

Really hope he goes to SD.

Upcoming young team with a great pitchers park.

The franchise could really use some marquee talent and the combination of Otani and Hosmer, if either happen, could really vault them into contention.

Just my preference.

i feel any of the three (angels, mariners, giants) would be great landing spots for fantasy managers. while front office gm's may recognize the difference in park factors and use league adjusted evaluations for future offers, as fantasy owners we care about raw stats and the three mentioned favorite teams all have pitchers parks. obviously the NL would be a slight boon to his projections, but any of them would be positive.

i've seen projections mention he'll probably have a moderately high walk rate, probably 3.5-ish per nine, maybe a little higher, but also highish strikeout totals. would everyone be terribly disappointed if he put up numbers similar to a drew pomeranz? i know that's not a sexy name, but he's had a 3.3 ERA over the last two seasons with 9 K/9 and a 3.5 BB/9. 

in a re-draft, what makes ohtani so much more valuable than pomeranz? the unknown upside?

in a keeper/dynasty, ohtani is younger, and i understand we don't want to miss out on the next big thing, but pom isn't exactly old. is it the upside potential again driving ohtani's value while someone like pom is a known commodity?

as a caveat, i know that pomeranz's underlying stats show his ERA should be closer to 3.5-4 than 3-3.5, but they are what they are. i'm not saying ohtani is going to be pomeranz, just questioning what people will think if he puts up similar numbers in 2018. would it be a let down?

rooting for the Angels in the Otani sweepstakes.  Trout deserves to be a pennant race and they need a TON of help.

As an Angels fan I'd love to have Ohtani but is it weird that I'm rooting for the Padres to actually sign him? It's cool to see a team like that have a legitimate shot at a talent like this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

Mariners just got themselves an extra cool mil. Hafta believe they feel they're the front runner if they're willing to deal a top prospect for the extra cash. This sorta pleases me as a dynasty owner with the #1 pick this season. The Yankee fan in me was pulling for my Yanks but now that they're out of it I feel like the Padres or Mariners are his best possible landing spots from a fantasy perspective. Extremely concerned over the Rangers and Angels still being in the mix, especially the Rangers with the launching pad they call a home ballpark. 

17 hours ago, JeterPimpedUrGF said:

Wow. The Mariners pushed all in and the Angels called. Angels send a prospect to the Twins for cash. 

More info please.  What prospect did Anaheim send to the Twins?  (Also where did they even find a prospect on their farm, hah).  And did the Mariners actually (I see the word "willing" above) send a prospect somewhere as well?

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More info please.  What prospect did Anaheim send to the Twins?  (Also where did they even find a prospect on their farm, hah).  And did the Mariners actually (I see the word "willing" above) send a prospect somewhere as well?

Mariners send a Catching prospect (10th overall in the system) and Angels sent an OF. The Mariners have gained $1 million in International Slot money with their trade with the Twins, and now another $1 million in their trade for Dee Gordon and now have more International Slot money than any team to offer Ohtani. Mariners are all in on the guy it seems. 

Angels it is.

Ohtani and Trout. The AL West just got a lot more interesting.

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

what round are we projecting him to go in?

in dynasty rookie draft, 1st overall

1 minute ago, larfboy said:

in dynasty rookie draft, 1st overall

in a redraft

that's tough...probably early mid rounds? 6-9th rounds? not sure because of all the uncertainties not only with his ability to adjust to mlb quickly but also on how fantasy platforms will adjust to his multi position eligibility. 

None of the teams seemed to mind too much about the UCL sprain. They all knew about it and chose to pursue him aggressively anyway.

I still think he hits the DL in-season at least twice.

Anyone think he'll pitch over 130 innings in 2018? If I had to bet, I would take the under.

Not sure on source reliability.. grain of salt caveat

Edited by osb_tensor

The only way I'd consider drafting him at this point in a redraft is if the platform allows for him to accumulate both offensive and pitching statistics. Aside from that, it will be hard to get good value out of him as just a hitter or just a pitcher. As just a hitter, he will only be relegated to DH and won't be playing enough due to the presence of Pujols. In addition, this means he will only be eligible at UTIL. Most certainly won't be worth owning a big question mark at UTIL who would be hard pressed to eclipse 300 ABs. As just a pitcher, He has the injury risk, as well as the fact the Angels likely go with 6 man rotation. So you likely won't be getting a full season as a pitcher either, think 20-25 starts max, with likely caution to innings pitched. I'd put the over/under of innings pitched around 130.

If a platform allows you to capitalize on both his offense and pitching, and you play in a daily league, the situation is completely different. It makes him very worthy a pick as a hitter you can slot in occasionally while having the potential of an elite pitcher once a week. When you combine the two, it gives roster flexibility in other areas as well. Hopefully some platforms will allow this, but it doesn't look likely.

• Like 1

FYI...

Fantrax already had/has a built-in feature in their platform that allows a commissioner to "turn on" all stats for each player. So any player that accrues any stat - whether a hitter comes in for mop-up duty of a blowout and gets tagged for 3 ER, or a pitcher hits a HR in his 3 ABs - will have all their stats count toward your scoring.

Downside, at the moment, it's an all or nothing feature - not player-specific, which would be the ideal case for guys like Ohtani, and later McKay possibly (although rumor seems to be McKay will only pitch going forward).

• Like 1