NYR Fan 116894

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

Espinoza was signed by Boston during the 2014 International Signing Period. Keep in mind though, the kid is 17. At the moment, he's 6' 160 lbs, but he's only 17.

He's currently pitching in the DSL, so he's pretty far away. But he's shaping up to be a pretty exciting arm.

Ben Badler @BenBadler Jun 7

Red Sox RHP Anderson Espinoza touched 99 mph in his start yesterday. He's 17 years old. He'd be a junior in high school. What a special arm.

Ben Badler @BenBadler Jun 7

Espinoza is only 6 feet. But scouts all told me he'd throw harder because of his arm speed, easy arm action and delivery. They were right.

Alex Speier of the Boston Globe had this to say:

Righthander Anderson Espinoza offered a glimpse of the dazzling potential that led the Sox to sign him to a $1.8 million bonus last summer. Espinoza, who was throwing in the low 90s when the Sox signed him, sat at 95 m.p.h. and topped out at 97 while giving up just one baserunner (a single) against the 10 batters he faced in three innings. He struck out three, walked none, and elicited four ground balls while throwing consistent strikes.

And Kiley McDaniel spoke about Espinoza in his pre-season Red Sox prospect list:

The Venezuelan righty was the Red Sox top signing from this July 2nd is a 6’0/170 righty, signing for $1.8 million. Boston knows as much as anyone how risky it is giving that much money to smaller, 16-year-old righty, but they and other clubs are all in on this kid. He has an athletic delivery, should add more muscle and already sits 89-92, hitting 94 mph with an above average curveball, good feel for a a changeup and advanced feel to command and sequence.

I don't know about you guys, but for a 17 year old kid who's hitting 99 on his FB with the potential for 3 above average pitches and an advanced feel for pitching, he definitely sounds like someone to keep a close eye on. He's far away as he's only in the DSL, but man, he has the makings of a pretty special prospect.

• Like 4

Just came across this nice detailed report on Espinoza by Ben Badler of Baseball America:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-prequel-june-4-helium-watch-hot/

Espinoza certainly isn’t a sleeper. The No. 4 international prospect for the 2014-15 signing period (and top pitcher available), he signed with the Red Sox for $1.8 million last July 2. As an amateur, Espinoza drew rave reviews from scouts for his combination of stuff and feel for pitching beyond his years. He sits in the low-90s fastball up to 94 mph, throws a sharp curveball that projects as a plus pitch and shows feel for a changeup that sits in his long fingers and that he throws with good arm speed.

If there was a knock on the 17-year-old Espinoza, it was his size—he’s listed at 6 feet, 160 pounds—but he had such a loose, quick arm stroke and an easy, simple delivery that scouts were comfortable projecting him to throw in the mid-90s. That projection has already started to bear out, and it may even be light. With natural strength progression, Espinoza has run his fastball up to 97 mph, flashed a hammer low-80s curveball and is even mixing in right-on-right changeups like a major league veteran.

After dominating in Boston’s preseason Dominican camp, Espinoza overpowered hitters in his Dominican Summer League debut this week, with three strikeouts, no walks and only one hit allowed in his three shutout innings. He’s advanced enough that he could pitch in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League this year—and could probably handle an even more aggressive assignment—but the Red Sox are playing it conservatively with their prized young international arm, the likes of which they haven’t had in years.

• Like 1

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kiley-mcdaniels-superlative-2015-mlb-draft-chat/

Comment From Mike C

Not a draft question, but thoughts on Anderson Espinoza?
Kiley McDaniel: Very good, much better than his bonus relative to others in his draft class. Some Red Sox fans asked why I had him so high pre-season with no real data, but he had an early verbal deal, like back in November, so the number was lower than his talent warranted. It’s about as good as a 17 year old 6’0 righty can look.
  • Like 1

Pitched today vs Miami and went 4 innings, allowed 1 H, and struck out 8. His agent reportedly said he was working in the 95-98 range for the FB. Also said his season totals so far are: 11 IP, 5 H, 0.82 ERA, and 16 K's. I'd post the tweet, but it's in Spanish. :lol:

I made the move in my deeper dynasty. Just don't want to miss on this guy being in a sawks uni if he really is a GUY

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 5h5 hours ago

Red Sox are bringing Anderson Espinoza to the GCL. He's 17, throws 99. Scout whose team faced him in the DR: "Our guys were so overmatched."

Heading to the GCL. Keep a close eye on this one folks.

Anything you've seen about delivery or arm action? Is it a violent 99? He's so small it almost has to be.

Anything you've seen about delivery or arm action? Is it a violent 99? He's so small it almost has to be.

Found this:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2015/06/anderson-espinoza-to-be-promoted-to-gcl.html

Espinoza, 17, comes stateside after receiving a great deal of fanfare since making his professional debut on June 1. In 15 innings across four appearances, he has allowed only two earned runs, striking out 21 and walking three. In addition to a strong statistical performance, Espinoza has generated a great deal of buzz in the scouting community. His fastball has been reported to touch 99 mph with a smooth, easy delivery, and he complements that with a curveball and changeup, both of which have potential to become plus pitches.

And also this:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/espinoza-anderson.htm

Slight of frame right-hander. Fastball sits in the low-90s, topping out at 94 mph. He reaches that velocity with clean mechanics and a repeatable delivery, generating plus arm speed with loose arm action. He may even continue to gain velocity as he fills out some. Shows great pitchability for his age and features two good offspeed pitches. His curveball is a potential plus pitch, with tight spin and sharp bite at 71-73 mph. He also throws a changeup with some sink and shows good feel for the pitch. Doubled the record for a signing bonus given to a Venezuelan, set by Francisco Rodriguez in 1998.

Now, that 2nd blurb was most likely written around the time of his signing (or close to it) considering it still reports of his velocity being in the low 90's.

Also, from a few posts up, Badler had this to say:

If there was a knock on the 17-year-old Espinoza, it was his size—he’s listed at 6 feet, 160 pounds—but he had such a loose, quick arm stroke and an easy, simple delivery that scouts were comfortable projecting him to throw in the mid-90s. That projection has already started to bear out, and it may even be light. With natural strength progression, Espinoza has run his fastball up to 97 mph, flashed a hammer low-80s curveball and is even mixing in right-on-right changeups like a major league veteran.

Seems like a good delivery with loose arm action. I'm keeping close tabs on Espinoza. He's young. He's far away. But we may have found a golden ticket here.

• Like 1

Wow, think this guy will probably start to get A LOT of hype in the coming years. Thanks for the info. Always enjoy your updates.

J.P. @Jaypers413 16m16 minutes ago

17-yo RHP Anderson Espinoza's US debut in the GCL - 4 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.

This was against a GCL Rays roster that includes Adrian Rondon (who was batting 2nd today).

Looks like Espinoza got out of a jam without damage in the 1st inning. According to the recap on MiLB.com:

GCL Rays Bottom of the 1st
  • Oscar Rojas singles on a ground ball to shortstop Luis Alejandro Basabe.
  • Adrian Rondon reaches on a throwing error by third baseman Roldani Baldwin. Oscar Rojas to 3rd. Adrian Rondon to 2nd.
  • Gilbert Marrero hit into a fielder's choice double play, pitcher Anderson Espinoza to catcher Isaias Lucena to shortstop Luis Alejandro Basabe. Adrian Rondon out at 2nd. Gilbert Marrero out at 2nd.
  • Juan Rodriguez grounds out, shortstop Luis Alejandro Basabe to first baseman Darwin Pena.

IF single to the first AB followed by a throwing error which allowed men to reach 2nd and 3rd with 0 outs. Got a double play and then a ground out to get out of the inning with no runs allowed.

4 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB's, and 4 K's today vs. GCL Rays.

For the season, he's at:

27 IP, 21 H, 2 ER, 5 BB's, 31 K's

This is one of those kids you need to grab now. Before the media catches on like crazy. Small Dominican kid who can throw the heat and plays for the Sox? You know the comparison that will be thrown around

This is one of those kids you need to grab now. Before the media catches on like crazy. Small Dominican kid who can throw the heat and plays for the Sox? You know the comparison that will be thrown around

The height still scares me. I love me some extension towards the plate and downhill plane.

Still have him rostered in my 16 teamer. People will be catching on soon.

He's 17, you guys going to be holding him for another 3 years? What's his ETA?

I'd say 2018-2019 at best

He's 17, you guys going to be holding him for another 3 years? What's his ETA?

Yeah. Value is value in a deep enough league. The potential here is pretty high, my league rosters around 200 prospects so he's certainly worth it as his value could skyrocket if he keeps this up.

This is from Badler's chat today:

Mike (Virginia): Any updates on Anderson Espinoza now that he is state-side? What is his ceiling?

Ben Badler: He’s electric. Fastball up to 99 mph, plus curveball, feel for a changeup, pounds the strike zone and mixes his pitches like a veteran, not a 17-year-old kid. I would take him over any of the pitchers in the 2015 draft, which is really saying something given that if Espinoza were born in the United States, he wouldn’t even be draft-eligible until next season.

And this from Chris Crawford's chat today over at BP:

Jack (Ridgewood): How good is Anderson Espinoza? Could he make the top 100 list over the off-season?

Christopher Crawford: I think that's a bit of a stretch, but he'll definitely be a candidate in 2016. The arm strength is insane, and the secondary stuff is all flashing plus with outstanding feel for pitching for someone that young. There's a LOT of work to be done because of his age, but the upside is pretty special.

This is from Badler's chat today:

Mike (Virginia): Any updates on Anderson Espinoza now that he is state-side? What is his ceiling?

Ben Badler: He’s electric. Fastball up to 99 mph, plus curveball, feel for a changeup, pounds the strike zone and mixes his pitches like a veteran, not a 17-year-old kid. I would take him over any of the pitchers in the 2015 draft, which is really saying something given that if Espinoza were born in the United States, he wouldn’t even be draft-eligible until next season.

And this from Chris Crawford's chat today over at BP:

Jack (Ridgewood): How good is Anderson Espinoza? Could he make the top 100 list over the off-season?

Christopher Crawford: I think that's a bit of a stretch, but he'll definitely be a candidate in 2016. The arm strength is insane, and the secondary stuff is all flashing plus with outstanding feel for pitching for someone that young. There's a LOT of work to be done because of his age, but the upside is pretty special.

What I've bolded above is a bold (no pun intended) statement.

Sounds like Crawford doesn't have the guts right now to trust what his eyes are telling him because he's describing is a top 100 prospect. "The arm strength is insane, and the secondary stuff is all flashing plus with outstanding feel for pitching for someone that young."