NYR Fan 116894

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

I think he wants to see more of it. I mean, he has what, 4 starts state side? Crawford sees the potential, but also doesn't want to jump the gun. The scouting reports are glaring and extremely impressive, but we're also talking about a kid who's not only really far away, but also has a very small number of starts in the US.

The other thing is, he's probably getting reports back from other scouts. I would be surprised if he's seen Espinoza already. Maybe if/when he sees it with his own eyes, he'd be willing to have the guts.

• Like 1

I think he wants to see more of it. I mean, he has what, 4 starts state side? Crawford sees the potential, but also doesn't want to jump the gun. The scouting reports are glaring and extremely impressive, but we're also talking about a kid who's not only really far away, but also has a very small number of starts in the US.

The other thing is, he's probably getting reports back from other scouts. I would be surprised if he's seen Espinoza already. Maybe if/when he sees it with his own eyes, he'd be willing to have the guts.

Very fair point.

Another solid outing from Espinoza; 4IP, 4H, 2BB, 1ER, 2K bringing his ERA to 1.13 on the year on 39IP. I like what I'm seeing here.

Couple notes on his start yesterday from the BA gang:

Josh Norris @jnorris427 16h16 hours ago

Espinoza showed all three pitches in first inning. FB up to 98 with life away from LHBs. CB 76-77 w/tremendous bite and 82-83 CH.

Josh Norris @jnorris427 15h15 hours ago

Dear Ruben Amaro. If you want to trade Cole Hamels to BOS, be sure to ask for Anderson Espinoza. He's a stud.

Josh Norris @jnorris427 14h14 hours ago

I had high expectations for Anderson Espinoza. He exceeded them by leaps and bounds.

Norris seems very impressed from what he saw first hand.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-chat-6/

Jeff (Boston): Heard BA had eyes on Espinoza the other day. How impressive did he look? As a 17 year old pitcher, how good is Espinoza relative to other 17 year old pitchers that have come through the ranks through the years?

Ben Badler: Josh Norris just saw him in person yesterday and posted a story on him on our site today with video. Safe to say I’m happy to have Josh all aboard the Anderson Espinoza bandwagon. He’s one of the most talented 17-year-old pitching prospects who’s come around. The combination of stuff, feel for pitching and loose, easy delivery is incredible for his age.

Speaking of Norris' report on Espinoza: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/anderson-espinoza-lives-hype/

As if the Red Sox system wasn’t impressive enough, there’s another blue-chipper lurking between the raindrops on their Rookie-level Gulf Coast League team. His name is Anderson Espinoza, he’s righthanded and 17 years old and on Tuesday showed off an arsenal that will make him a household name in very short order.

Ranked as the No. 4 prospect in the 2014 international class, the Red Sox inked Espinoza for $1.8 million on the strength of high-octane fastball, three-pitch mix and potential for growth both in frame and pitchability.

On Tuesday, during one of the rare recent dry moments on the East Coast of Florida over the past month or so, Espinoza more than lived up to his billing.

The righty showed a fastball that touched as high as 98 mph, sat comfortably for four inning between 95-97 and never dipped lower than 93. The pitch featured sink and run away from lefthanders, and Espinoza showed an ability to spot in on both sides of the plate. On the occasions he failed to finish the pitch, it stayed up and away to lefties.

To complement the fastball, Espinoza brought a pair of pitches that could easily grade as plus or better in the future. The first was a 12-6 curveball in the low-70s that, when he threw it right, featured sharp, tight break that will allow him to get swings and misses. He also threw a low-80s changeup with plenty of fade. He got multiple swings and misses on the pitch on Tuesday.

“He’s like any other kid in the aspect that he just needs to stay healthy,” manager Tom Kotchman said between games of Tuesday’s doubleheader. “You put him in America, and he’s the age of a young high school junior. He’s 17 years old and 3 months. It’s a special arm and he’s a special kid.”

He stands at 6-foot even and is listed at 170 pounds, but at 17 years old could still have plenty of growing to do before he’s physically mature. Additional strength will obviously aid in his stamina going forth as he learns to work deeper into games (he went four innings on Tuesday) and could help him hold his velocity.

Right now, according to Kotchman, all Espinoza needs is time.

“He’s just going to grow into his body normally. He’s 6-foot, 6-1, who knows how much taller he is. His stuff is fine. He just needs to pitch and stay healthy.”

4IP, 3H, 1BB, 5K's, 0ER

Brings his totals to:

28IP, 22K, 9BB, .96ERA, 1.04WHIP... Very, very impressive for a 17 year old in the GCL.

He should slot in comfortably in the back end. The potential is there for a lot more but basically everyone on the list will have been more established at higher levels. Someone to watch. The numbers are eye popping. 0.9 or so ERA in the GCL from someone who is the age of a high school junior. The average age of a GCL player is 19.7.

My one question is how easy can the mechanics be? I've seen the ease of his motion noted plenty of times, but he's 5'11. Not the downhill plane or extension you're looking for from an elite guy. It just isn't physically possible. The perceived velocity is less then what the radar gun shows most likely.

An interesting name to watch. The easiest comparison is Yordano, but since he's a sawk I'm sure we'll here the baby Pedro label thrown around a bunch.

One crazy thing I just read: a 3.5 gb/fb ratio. That means he's staying down in the zone, inducing weak contact, and limiting potential damage every step of the way. That ratio is absurd.

This kid is legit.. He could still grow into a 6'1 to 6'2 frame as he just turned 17 in March. I grew 3" between 17 & 18 years old so it's not uncommon for that to happen. I'm amazed that he is already touching 97-99mph as a 17yo! I can't wait until he puts on an extra 25-30lbs and see what he can bring there.

The mechanics look super clean and I'm surprised how clean they are given his youth. Go check out the BA videos posted previously and you can see why he loves working the bottom half of the strike zone. I'm really excited about this kid

Will he taste A this year? Or will they keep him in rookie ball?

With there only being 3 weeks left in the MiLB season, I would imagine they will just keep him in the GCL. However, next year I could see the Red Sox being a little more aggressive and starting him at full-season A-ball. He's dominated everything they've thrown at him thus far. (yes small sample size)

Will he taste A this year? Or will they keep him in rookie ball?

With there only being 3 weeks left in the MiLB season, I would imagine they will just keep him in the GCL. However, next year I could see the Red Sox being a little more aggressive and starting him at full-season A-ball. He's dominated everything they've thrown at him thus far. (yes small sample size)

Kinda what I'm thinking too. do you think they'll move him quickly if he keeps dominating or take their time and try to move him up when he's 20ish?

I am confident he'll start the year in A ball next year. It's just a question of whether it's Lowell or Greenville. He'd probably be the ace of the Lowell staff right now.

His control seems well beyond his years.. He's only walked 12 guys in 51IP this year, I think I'm most impressed by that than anything else. The hype train is going to get rolling soon, better jump on board while you still can!

From MLB.com

Red Sox RHP Anderson Espinoza, Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Red Sox: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K -- We don't often feature GCL players in this space, but there are many levels why Espinoza deserves at least a mention. As was written in a previous Toolshed column, he's a 17-year-old with a high-90s fastball pitching stateside, and he's not only pitching but dominating the complex-level circuit. His one hit allowed Tuesday was a bunt single, and his seven strikeouts matched a season high. Despite his youth, the No. 9 Red Sox prospect has a 0.75 ERA and 0.86 WHIP with 34 strikeouts and nine walks in 36 innings since moving to the GCL. He'll move up the chain as an 18-year-old in 2016, and Red Sox GCL pitching coach/Latin America pitching coordinator Goose Gregson thinks the move could be straight to full-season ball with Class A Greenville.

Edited by JenksDodger