NYR Fan 116894

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

From MLB.com

Red Sox RHP Anderson Espinoza, Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Red Sox: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K -- We don't often feature GCL players in this space, but there are many levels why Espinoza deserves at least a mention. As was written in a previous Toolshed column, he's a 17-year-old with a high-90s fastball pitching stateside, and he's not only pitching but dominating the complex-level circuit. His one hit allowed Tuesday was a bunt single, and his seven strikeouts matched a season high. Despite his youth, the No. 9 Red Sox prospect has a 0.75 ERA and 0.86 WHIP with 34 strikeouts and nine walks in 36 innings since moving to the GCL. He'll move up the chain as an 18-year-old in 2016, and Red Sox GCL pitching coach/Latin America pitching coordinator Goose Gregson thinks the move could be straight to full-season ball with Class A Greenville.

"First and foremost, you get up to him and he's got a baby face and looks like a junior in high school," Gregson said. "But when you talk to him, it's like you're talking to a 30-year-old. I mean, this kid has makeup like I haven't seen in 34 years working in the game. ... I can't quite put a finger on it, but in talking to him, you'd honestly believe he's been in pro ball for four or five years. Hes' not afraid of anything.

"His first start here [in the GCL] he had an error behind him that put two guys in scoring position with no outs and came out with no runs because he's so calm. It usually takes kids two to three years to realize they're one pitch away from getting out of a jam. Sitting and watching him, you automatically know this kid has an idea of what he's doing. It's so rare for his age."

If Espinoza's story sounds somewhat familiar in the Red Sox system, that's because it should. Boston promoted third baseman Rafael Devers from the DSL to the GCL last July after the then-17-year-old put up a .337/.445/.538 line with three homers, three triples, six doubles and a 21-to-20 K/BB ratio in 28 games. Upon moving up to the GCL, he still hit plenty with a .312/.374/.484 line at the stateside complex level, something that wasn't much of a surprise to Gregson after seeing -- or rather, hearing -- Devers in the Dominican Republic.

"One of the first times I was down there last year, I was walking past batting practice, and I heard this hard, unusual noise," Gregson said. "You just don't hear the hard a contact off the bat from 16- or 17-year-old guys. When I got back, I told some of our guys that work with the hitters, 'You're gonna be surprised at just how good Devers is.' And it's more than just ability. They both have close personalities. They have smiles on their faces every day, and they're delights to be around. Their personalities play a big role in all of this."

Today's outing jsut as dominant as the rest

These are like, Bundy first exposure type numbers. This is crazy.

Holy hell, hype is going off the charts. Buy in all keeper leagues and stash if possible.

Mrs. Featherbottom (California): What are your thoughts on Anderson Espinoza?
J.J. Cooper: Let’s spend more time gushing about Espinoza. You can make the argument that Espinoza is one of the best pitching prospects in the minors right now. Yes, that is a crazy statement in a way, but he has exceptional stuff, advanced feel and a solid delivery. Anyone and everyone who has seen him in the DSL/GCL cannot stop gushing about him. He should be ready to handle a jump to the Sally League next year and with his stuff, he may be too good for that league as an 18-year-old. The sky is truly the limit with Espinoza.
Tyler (Nj): Anderson Espinosa upside Urias?? Thanks
J.J. Cooper: Yeah, that kind of upside.

I caught the last two starts of Anderson Espinoza and his stuff wss ridiculously off the charts, hitting 98 with secondaries that flashed plus. Is he for real? I've never seen any pitching prospect like him before, and I've been watching prospects for 20 years. He's a monster, huh?
J.J. Cooper: He’s a Godzilla with an extra dose of gamma rays monster. if you wanted to argue him as one of the top 10 players in the minors as far as trade value, I wouldn’t laugh you out of the room.

Tyler (Nj): Anderson Espinosa a future top 10 prospect?

J.J. Cooper: Yes.
  • Like 2

I've become conditioned to assume that a kid with this kind of profile is going down hard at some point.

I've become conditioned to assume that a kid with this kind of profile is going down hard at some point.

The hype is reminiscent of Bundy.

I saw some other people saying "inverted W" in regards to espinoza

I'm no expert and I would need some obvious stills but I couldn't see it in the video from BA

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2015/09/02/sources-red-sox-17-year-old-pitching-prospect-anderson-espinoza-promoted-to-single-a-greenville/

Following the Florida Gulf Coast League Red Sox winning the GCL championship Wednesday, a few of its players have been promoted.

Arguably its top player, 17-year-old right-hander Anderson Espinoza has been promoted to Single-A Greenville, according to sources.

Espinoza pitched in four games in the Dominican Summer League this summer, allowing two earned runs in 15 innings, while striking out 21 and walking just three. In late June he was promoted to the Gulf Coast League where he pitched in 10 games (only four innings each, as the organization monitors his innings) and had an ERA of 0.68 with 40 strikeouts and nine walks in 40 innings.

The 17-year-old was signed as an International free agent last summer.

Greenville has just five games left in their regular-season as they battle for a playoff spot.

To Greenville he goes!

• Like 1

That Greenville team is completely stacked. Espinoza, Devers, Moncada, Benintendi, and Guerra must be pretty difficult to face. All of them are arguably top 50 prospects (although it's a weaker argument for Benintendi)

I'm surprised that he's already in A ball and he's only 17. The Urias comparison is an easy one to make considering how well both he and Espinoza have been despite their youth. If I had to make a guess, it looks like Esponoza will be up in late 2017 at the absolute earliest. He'd be in the majors at 19 just like Urias will be (assuming Urias will be up by midseason in 2016, which is a safe one to make). Seeing him pitch in 2018 is more realistic, maybe even 2019 if he takes a while to develop.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see him develop. He's been receiving a ton of hype lately but the reports on him make it seem like it's well deserved.

Tyler (Nj): Biggest leap forwards in minors this year. SP wise.

J.J. Cooper: Anderson Espinoza, because he’s gotten to pitch. Everyone who sees him loves him. Went from great expectations to great reality.

CJM (Boston): How much lower is Jose De Leon's ceiling than Urias? How about Cotton's relative to JDL? That AA staff was pretty nasty while it lasted.

Josh Norris: Actually, a lot of guys think the two are closer than would be expected. I have Urias as my personal No. 1 pitching prospect in the minors, but Jose De Leon is right up there with him, Giolito, Anderson Espinoza, Blake Snell and the other big names.

This was from Baseball America's Propsect Chat yesterday.

To be mentioned along with those names is saying a lot for a 17 year old kid.. I drafted this kid in my 20-team dynasty league MiLB draft at 74th overall 2 months ago. I feel like I got a steal!

Edited by JenksDodger

NP Alex! Anderson got roughed up a bit in Greenville last night. 3.1IP, 4H, 3ER, 2BB, 4K.. Could be a good thing sending him to the off-season knowing he's got work to do.

CBS owners might want to search for Espinoza now...he's in the system.

So is Nottingham, Robles and Martes.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Coach George

Some tidbits from Boston's top 10 prospect chat over on Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/boston-red-sox-top-10-prospects-chat/

Connor Reed (Connecticut): That's a killer trio at the top for Boston. Where do you potentially see them in the Top 100? Can they all crack the top 30 - or does Benintendi need a longer track record?

Alex Speier: I’m not involved in the top 100 conversations, so don’t have a good feel for this. Don’t exclude Espinoza from that group, however — I heard cases made for all four of Moncada, Devers, Benintendi, and Espinoza as the best prospect in the Sox’ system.

Ben (Rhode Island): I know it's tough to predict but who does Anderson Espinoza remind you of in today's game? And what do you see his ceiling being?

Alex Speier: His slight stature, smooth delivery, incredible power stuff, and maturity/makeup prompted a lot of people to say that he reminded them of a teenage Pedro, including Goose Gregson, the Red Sox’ Latin American pitching coordinator who worked with a 16-/17-year-old Pedro with the Dodgers. Pedro said the same. He has the makings of three plus pitches, so there’s legitimate ace potential. That’s far from a guarantee (see Bundy, Dylan), but he’s ridiculously talented at a ridiculously young age.

Manolo Ozuna (Providence, RI): How do scouts grade Espinoza's secondary pitches?

Alex Speier: The changeup and curve were both viewed as being at least average now, albeit without the consistency one would seek out of a major leaguer. But Espinoza has super-long fingers that let him perform some feats of prestidigitation when it comes to manipulating and spinning a baseball.

J.Feliz Luzón (Anderson Espinoza. Agent): More than a question is a comment regarding Anderson! He is a warrior and harder worker with only 17 y old! He is figthing everyday to reach his goals and make a 25MR ASAP! He is now training in Fort Myers

Alex Speier: A testimonial from Espinoza’s agent… Espinoza told me that his goal is to reach the big leagues at age 19, like his idol, King Felix.

Tyler (North Carolina): Who is closest to making it to the majors, Espinoza or Kopech?

Alex Speier: Probably Espinoza, who is already moving on an atypical progression — he’s the first 17-year-old to pitch in full-season ball for the Sox in about 30 years. His delivery and command are also ahead of Kopech.

I haven't been following MiLB for too long, but has there been another prospect with as much hype as Espinoza (since Bryce Harper)? Maybe Dylan Bundy?

Edited by CoorsFieldRox
  • Like 1

Some tidbits from Boston's top 10 prospect chat over on Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/boston-red-sox-top-10-prospects-chat/

Connor Reed (Connecticut): That's a killer trio at the top for Boston. Where do you potentially see them in the Top 100? Can they all crack the top 30 - or does Benintendi need a longer track record?

Alex Speier: Im not involved in the top 100 conversations, so dont have a good feel for this. Dont exclude Espinoza from that group, however I heard cases made for all four of Moncada, Devers, Benintendi, and Espinoza as the best prospect in the Sox system.

Ben (Rhode Island): I know it's tough to predict but who does Anderson Espinoza remind you of in today's game? And what do you see his ceiling being?

Alex Speier: His slight stature, smooth delivery, incredible power stuff, and maturity/makeup prompted a lot of people to say that he reminded them of a teenage Pedro, including Goose Gregson, the Red Sox Latin American pitching coordinator who worked with a 16-/17-year-old Pedro with the Dodgers. Pedro said the same. He has the makings of three plus pitches, so theres legitimate ace potential. Thats far from a guarantee (see Bundy, Dylan), but hes ridiculously talented at a ridiculously young age.

Manolo Ozuna (Providence, RI): How do scouts grade Espinoza's secondary pitches?

Alex Speier: The changeup and curve were both viewed as being at least average now, albeit without the consistency one would seek out of a major leaguer. But Espinoza has super-long fingers that let him perform some feats of prestidigitation when it comes to manipulating and spinning a baseball.

J.Feliz Luzón (Anderson Espinoza. Agent): More than a question is a comment regarding Anderson! He is a warrior and harder worker with only 17 y old! He is figthing everyday to reach his goals and make a 25MR ASAP! He is now training in Fort Myers

Alex Speier: A testimonial from Espinozas agent Espinoza told me that his goal is to reach the big leagues at age 19, like his idol, King Felix.

Tyler (North Carolina): Who is closest to making it to the majors, Espinoza or Kopech?

Alex Speier: Probably Espinoza, who is already moving on an atypical progression hes the first 17-year-old to pitch in full-season ball for the Sox in about 30 years. His delivery and command are also ahead of Kopech.

I haven't been following MiLB for too long, but has there been another prospect with as much hype as Espinoza (since Bryce Harper)? Maybe Dylan Bundy?

Plenty.

King Felix

Harper

Strasburg

Prior

Andruw Jones

Chipper Jones

Just off the top of my head. Those guys were all discussed as top prospect in the game types. Espinoza has a ways to go to get there but he's off to a great start.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas!

Martes?

Merry Christmas!

Martes?

Francis Martes....he's a talent fast-rising SP in the Astros organization. He's going to be pretty popular once the new lists start to show up.

Merry Christmas!

Martes?

He made up to AA as 19 year old starter.

FB Velocity on the rise. Throws mid-90's with ease along with a plus curve and surprisingly not so bad control despite the age and aggressive promotions last year.

Edited by Slatykamora