NYR Fan 116894

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

any chance he gets a call to the majors this season?

0% chance, maybe in 2017 if he dominates this year.. I see him spending the entire year in A-ball, starting out in Greenville and ending up in Salem in Adv-A.

• Like 1

Guys on MLB network calling this guy roy and perineal cy young candidate.

Not this year tho

Edited by Jonphillips3
  • Like 1

Theres not a risky investment than pitching prospects in the low minors, but a kid that is drawing comps to King Felix certainly gets my attention.

Theres not a risky investment than pitching prospects in the low minors, but a kid that is drawing comps to King Felix certainly gets my attention.

The comparison that really stood out was to a young Pedro Martinez.

Okay kid, no pressure with that, right?

But seriously how does a 17-year old deal with this type of expectation? Urias is going through the same thing. Dude is a teenager and all of a sudden all this comes down on him. Then he has to deal with all the hangers-on and leeches etc who like to latch on to young players. Put another way, what were all of us doing at age 17? Dealing with this type of pressure?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

The comparison that really stood out was to a young Pedro Martinez.

Okay kid, no pressure with that, right?

But seriously how does a 17-year old deal with this type of expectation? Urias is going through the same thing. Dude is a teenager and all of a sudden all this comes down on him. Then he has to deal with all the hangers-on and leeches etc who like to latch on to young players. Put another way, what were all of us doing at age 17? Dealing with this type of pressure?

It definitely takes a different breed of kid to deal with that type of hype at such a young age.. Very few are able to do it and take it in stride.. Bryce Harper and King Felix are really the only one's that come to mind, but I haven't been following baseball, like I do now (religously), for that long..

Reading some of the scouting reports/organization reports, they rave about his maturity and how he acts like a vet.. So hopefully Anderson is a rare breed and turns out to be another King Felix.

I can't wait to see what's in store for him in '16..

Ian Cundall @IanCundall 7h7 hours ago

In his first start of Minor League camp, Anderson Espinoza sat 94-98 over two innings w/3K's. Mixed in both CB, CH. Shaky 1st, dominant 2nd.

Alex Speier @alexspeier 8h8 hours ago

Espinoza's second inning featured 2 Ks: One looking at an expletive-inspiring curveball, the other on 97 mph heater.

Alex Speier @alexspeier 8h8 hours ago

Anderson Espinoza's first batter of minor league camp, according to those holding the gun: 94, 94, 96, 98.

Short, little 5 or so second video of Espinoza today: https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/710511946714497025

Also from a chat with Brian MacPherson:

Comment From Matt Kory
Hey Brian, we all knew how the Ben Cherington-led front office did things, but is Dave Dombrowski quicker to promote his prospects? I'm thinking specifically of pitching prospects, and more specifically of Anderson Espinosa. If he's as good as I keep hearing, and given the fragility of pitching, might the team be more aggressive with him despite his age?
Brian
The guy that comes to mind, actually, is Rick Porcello. Dombrowski pushed him quickly. I guess it depends on how aggressive we're talking. He'll pitch at Single-A Greenville at the age of 18 this year. I can't imagine him getting any higher than High-A Salem by the end of the year. If that gets him to the major leagues at the age of 20, that's the age Porcello was when he made his debut.
Edited by NYR Fan 116894
  • Like 1

His progress is going to be fun to watch. He has a chance to be truly special.

• Like 2

Via Sox Prospects: http://news.soxprospects.com/2016/03/notes-from-field-espinoza-chavis-and.html

Anderson Espinoza (pictured) just turned 18 years old this March and is the top pitching prospect in the system. Espinoza threw two innings in his first start of minor league camp on Thursday. His fastball sat 95-98 mph with late life that elicited many late swings from Orioles minor league hitters. Espinoza totaled five swing-and-misses in total during his two innings of work. Espinoza also mixed in a projectable future above-average curveball and future above-average changeup. The curveball was 73-74 mph with 12/6 shape and late, tight break. The changeup was 79 mph, yet inconsistent, as Espinoza struggled with control of it and hit a right-handed hitter with the pitch when it sailed up and in. Espinoza struggled with his command and release points throughout the outing. However, given his age, low effort delivery, and clean, quick arm action, it's easy to project big things in the future for Espinoza given his ability to dial it up in the 95-98 mph range, spin an above-average breaking ball, and flash an above-average changeup at just 18 years old.

http://www.faketeams.com/2016/3/11/11197456/the-next-big-star

"I don't usually like to over-hype a kid, but after checking out his start with Greenville on MILB.tv(9/5/15, Game 1 of double header against Savannah), I fully believe in him. He's the type of pitcher that can be an ace as he develops, and has a chance to potentially be the best in the game. He's a guy that could fill out all four categories for starting pitchers- wins, ERA, WHIP, and strikeouts."

Traded this guy as part of a deal for Archer in a dynasty and I fear I may regret letting him go. He looks so good.

Pretty cool slow motion towards the end there. From Sox Prospects youtube channel.

Such easy velo.

That curve is nasty.

They were fooled so badly that the righties didn't swing at it because they physically couldn't.

• Like 1

Pretty cool slow motion towards the end there. From Sox Prospects youtube channel.

Such easy velo.

He looks phenomenal. Kind of scary at 1:30 he nearly has his head taken off. No chill from that catcher.

Such easy velo.

That curve is nasty.

They were fooled so badly that the righties didn't swing at it because they physically couldn't.

It has to be the long fingers of Espinoza, no? In regard to the spin on the curve that is.

The Boston Globe back in September had a picture of Espinoza and, well, his fingers do look very long.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/05/could-anderson-espinoza-next-pedro-martinez/egFsvFH5382TfcmBW1V3FO/story.html

I think that's another part where people are getting the "next Pedro" comparisons from. Not saying he is because he's got a long way to go, but the talent is certainly something special. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Espinoza is a top 5 prospect a year from now.

Such easy velo.

Lots of work/time ahead of him, but the velocity, feel for pitching, and especially the easy delivery are impressive at this age. He kind of has a bit of the twist at the waist Felix Hernandez (who I clearly watch a lot of, Go Ms) does. So, after saying temper expectations, I've invoked Felix Hernandez for a kid already drawing Pedro comparisons. Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodger prospects often draw an extra bit of hype, but Espinoza warrants it.

Such easy velo.

Lots of work/time ahead of him, but the velocity, feel for pitching, and especially the easy delivery are impressive at this age. He kind of has a bit of the twist at the waist Felix Hernandez (who I clearly watch a lot of, Go Ms) does. So, after saying temper expectations, I've invoked Felix Hernandez for a kid already drawing Pedro comparisons. Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodger prospects often draw an extra bit of hype, but Espinoza warrants it.

I was thinking more Felix than Pedro as well.

Such easy velo.

Pedro because of his size and the electricity on his pitches. Felix is a much bigger human than Espinoza.

Such easy velo.

Pedro because of his size and the electricity on his pitches. Felix is a much bigger human than Espinoza.

If we want the best comp to size AND delivery it's probably Cueto.

Stuff wise he's more Pedro or Gooden than Cueto though.

That curveball...

First start for Greenville tonight:

5ip

2h

0r

0bb

63 pitches, 43 strikes. Bullpen came in and blew the lead.

I'd say that's a STRONG first outing.

• Like 3

by RotoWire Staff | Special to CBSSports.com

(1 hr ago) Espinoza threw five shutout innings Friday, allowing two hits without a walk while striking out four for Low-A Greenville.

The 18-year-old right-hander is considered Boston's top pitching prospect with an advanced feel for pitching at such a tender age. He needed just 63 pitches Friday and bollucksed up the Asheville Tourists with his mid-90s fastball. Their top five hitters went 1-for-10 with four strikeouts against him. "Outstanding. Just really was impressive, in terms of his pace and his plan attacking the zone. Really used a good mix of essentially just his fastball and his changeup, throwing both for strikes, getting ahead. As advertised. That's an outstanding first start for him," Drive manager Darren Fenster told the Greenville News. Espinoza recorded a 1.23 earned run average as a rookie last season through 58.1 innings, including a spot start with the Drive.

I have a feeling he isn't going to be in class A-ball for too long.. I'm predicting he's in A+ by the middle of May, maybe sooner..

Edited by CoorsFieldRox

5.0 IP 6 H 3 ER 5 K

I think the defense had 3 errors behind him...that can't help.

Yeah, they were brutal. There were a couple plays that should have been ruled errors too that weren't, he had no help. I thought it was mostly a good outing though, he responded to baserunners nicely and just has that effortless composure and delivery that is well beyond his years.

• Like 1