NYR Fan 116894

Anderson Espinoza - P SD

Why no info at all on him? I know he had forearm tightness at start of the year but that was meant to be precautionary.

Is he just being rested and late starting to manage innings or is something really going on that no ones being told about? I can't believe the lack of info for such a highly regarded prospect, guess it can only be because he's on the Padres now.

I can't remember where I read it (San Diego Tribune I think), but basically he was shut down at the end of April and they said they were going to give him 6-8 weeks to make sure the inflammation was all gone before he started throwing again at Extended ST.  6-8 weeks from end of April / start of May would put him into mid-June to July before he's throwing again.

If we've reached July and heard nothing, I'll be a little more worried.  Right now I think there's just nothing to report.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:31 PM, JFS179 said:

I can't remember where I read it (San Diego Tribune I think), but basically he was shut down at the end of April and they said they were going to give him 6-8 weeks to make sure the inflammation was all gone before he started throwing again at Extended ST.  6-8 weeks from end of April / start of May would put him into mid-June to July before he's throwing again.

If we've reached July and heard nothing, I'll be a little more worried.  Right now I think there's just nothing to report.

Thankyou my man, at least someone's told me some info now!

On 6/8/2017 at 1:31 PM, JFS179 said:

Still nothing, I think it's time to worry.. 

12 hours ago, tsh00k said:

Still nothing, I think it's time to worry.. 

That's not accurate -- he's throwing and building up arm strength per the two latest reports I can find with a cursory Google search.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-baseball-america-mackenzie-gore-20170707-story.html

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-mailbag-relief-prospects-20170703-story.html

They're being extremely, extremely cautious with him.  My guess is he pitches a bit later this year, then possibly in the AFL, then in winter ball.  He still needs innings ... missing an entire season doesn't do anything for his development, obviously.

ETA - threw his first bullpen on July 19

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JFS179 said:

That's not accurate -- he's throwing and building up arm strength per the two latest reports I can find with a cursory Google search.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-baseball-america-mackenzie-gore-20170707-story.html

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-mailbag-relief-prospects-20170703-story.html

They're being extremely, extremely cautious with him.  My guess is he pitches a bit later this year, then possibly in the AFL, then in winter ball.  He still needs innings ... missing an entire season doesn't do anything for his development, obviously.

ETA - threw his first bullpen on July 19

Awesome, thanks for the update!  

18 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Tommy John surgery next week.

Anderson Espinoza has a torn UCL. He will undergo Tommy John surgery next week.

Barf.  

I guess that will tone down the criticism Duquette got for trading him for Pomeranz.  

So where are we drawing the line on dropping? 16+ team dynasties with dedicated MiLB benches?  It'll be spring 2019 before he throws a pitch, at which point he's lost what, 30 months of development?

wouldn't be a true Padres pitching prospect if he didn't blow out his arm.  RIP kid you have just about worst organization behind Mets rehabbing you.  

On 7/28/2017 at 8:35 PM, B&F said:

Barf.  

I guess that will tone down the criticism Duquette got for trading him for Pomeranz.  

Think you mean Dave Dombrowski.  Dan Duquette was GM pre-Theo in Boston and put together a lot of the core "beat the curse" 2004 team way way back then though Theo always got the credit.  Duquette came out of retirement a few years back and is now the GM with the O's.

I always liked the trade.  Not a fan of the prospects flying out the door in Boston but I always had a feeling that they were concerned with how frail for lack of a better term his body was.  Frail isn't what I really mean but can't find the correct words.  Slight of build maybe?  I also always liked Pomeranz.

Being compared to Pedro Martinez in build just points out Pedro was the exception that proved the rule.  And when the Red Sox had a chance to nullify the trade when SD was caught doctoring medical reports and the Pomeranz real med sheets showed some arm problems they chose to keep Pomeranz despite that.  That's when I thought hmmmm I think Boston just doesn't trust Espinoza to stand up long term.  And they had just signed a similar in age Jason Groome but he has a more athletic body so I think they thought they didn't have to gamble of Espinoza's slight frame at that point.  The trade to SD came within a few days after Groome was signed too.

But yeah this news should at least get that dummy Mazz on the Felger & Mazz sports talk show in Boston off his endless rant of hating the trade.

I really hope Espinoza comes back from TJ and has a successful MLB career.  I guess the bright side here is that it is TJ and not what happened to Urias.  Man these young pitchers are dropping like flies these days.

Preller got Prellered?

Anyone else tracking this guy's return in the Fall?  Still only 20... 

Heck yea I am tracking him. He was released and then re-drafted later rounds in my all my keepers.

Have to see how the stuff comes back, but he's still plenty exciting to me.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:29 PM, tsh00k said:

Anyone else tracking this guy's return in the Fall?  Still only 20... 

Has not thrown in a game in 2 years?  He was so young when started that you are right, at only 20 still plenty of time for a great career.   This guy got as high as top 25 at one time or another in all 3 of the prospect rankings, certainly worth a stash.  He is probably still a couple years away at least from pitching in the bigs, I dont think he had been above A ball but as a dynasty owner, I think one might hope to see a good fall, good spring and get off to a hot start in 2019 and get on some mid-season rankings and become a strong asset again

Now he has undergone a 2nd TJS procedure...wow, if you think he's been forgotten, now he will really disappear. Shame for such a great arm 😟