NYR Fan 116894

Brendan Rodgers - SS COL

5 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. Rodgers call up seems to be more like mid/late 2019 now.

But Lemahiue will be gone next year.  Wouldn't that open up a spot for him at the beginning of next year?  Cup of coffee as a September call-up this year and then starting job next year, something like that?  Not to mention CarGo and Parra will be free agents so there's room to put people like McMahon too if necessary.

57 minutes ago, BCMarch10 said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. Rodgers call up seems to be more like mid/late 2019 now.

Wouldn't he be in the running to be their starting 2B to start next year if DJ walks?

I agree that the Rockies off season moves will have a large bearing on this situation and what they do with Story, DJ, McMahon, Hampson and others. But the way it looks right now, Rodgers will not have a significant role in 2018. Of course, I could be wrong.

So I was reading Inside Baseball MLB Notes and John Heyman mentioned this on on of his Rockies section....

Brendan Rodgers, the No. 3 overall pick in 2015, is on the “fast track” to the majors by learning multiple positions, via The Athletic.

Kid has been raking... Starting to think he may get the call sooner rather than later. I'm just trying to figure out where on earth he would play. 1B or super U guy?

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/inside/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-dodgers-righting-ship/

Edited by OrangeCrush

There's a Denver post article today about DJ Lemahieu. I wish I could read it but I don't pay for digital subscriptions to newspapers. In any case, I think the premise is maybe the Rox should trade DJ and if that happens, call up Rodgers. 

Rodgers hit a HR today for two in two days, and 13th of the year. He's getting hot and I wouldn't be surprised if called up. 

16 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

So I was reading Inside Baseball MLB Notes and John Heyman mentioned this on on of his Rockies section....

Brendan Rodgers, the No. 3 overall pick in 2015, is on the “fast track” to the majors by learning multiple positions, via The Athletic.

Kid has been raking... Starting to think he may get the call sooner rather than later. I'm just trying to figure out where on earth he would play. 1B or super U guy?

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/inside/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-dodgers-righting-ship/

The Athletic article is behind a paywall.  Do they get specific on the term fast track?  Fast track could mean a September call up.  Or making the team out of Spring Training next year.

Is it worth picking up Rodgers in a re-draft league?  I could really use a shortstop, and getting a highly touted one who plays at Coors would be phenomenal.  Essentially I'm curious if there is an outside chance of a call up prior to August 1st or so.

6 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

The Athletic article is behind a paywall.  Do they get specific on the term fast track?  Fast track could mean a September call up.  Or making the team out of Spring Training next year.

Is it worth picking up Rodgers in a re-draft league?  I could really use a shortstop, and getting a highly touted one who plays at Coors would be phenomenal.  Essentially I'm curious if there is an outside chance of a call up prior to August 1st or so.

Besides an injury, I just don't see how. LeMahieu is a better real life baseball player than fantasy option, Story is hitting well, Arenado is Arenado. Its going to take an injury.

1 minute ago, oswald737 said:

Besides an injury, I just don't see how. LeMahieu is a better real life baseball player than fantasy option, Story is hitting well, Arenado is Arenado. Its going to take an injury.

So if one of the three mentioned above were to land on the DL sometime this season would Rodgers be deemed polished enough to be a legitimate possibility to replace them?  

I would love to know if Rodgers will be SS or 2B when he eventually does get the call. Nonetheless, Colorado has what could be two great infielders with Rodgers and Hampson and the future is bright. Can't forget about what Trevor Story is currently doing this year. 

It'll be interesting to see what the Rockies do. Story, after a somewhat underwhelming Sophomore year, is playing great right now, one of the hottest hitters in the majors currently. With Rodgers and Hampson probably both ready to take the field at Coors next year....what do they do? DJ I'd have to think is gone to save money to hopefully resign Arenado. Either way, I own Story, Hampson and Rodgers in my dynasty league, so a good problem to have. 

Can't move Story off SS based on what he's done. My best guess (at least in the short term) is that Rodgers will eventually be given a crack at 2B (assuming LeMahieu doesn't re-sign) with Hampson being given a chance at a super-utility role. It's possible that Hampson will be given a chance at 2B initially if they decide to call him up first - Spring Training should have a lot of bearing on that decision (again, assuming LeMahieu isn't re-signed).

Story is locked in at SS.   If the Rockies are in the hunt I could see them dump Rodgers and resign DJ.  Lemahieu is a fantastic real life baseball player. 

10 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Story is locked in at SS.   If the Rockies are in the hunt I could see them dump Rodgers and resign DJ.  Lemahieu is a fantastic real life baseball player. 

I'd be shocked if they moved Rodgers. They'd have to really believe they are a player or two away from challenging for the pennant, and as a Rox fan I can't imagine they do that. 

38 minutes ago, Watermock said:

I'd be shocked if they moved Rodgers. They'd have to really believe they are a player or two away from challenging for the pennant, and as a Rox fan I can't imagine they do that. 

I've been a Rockies fan since their inception - only trumped by my Royals fandom - they have SO many pieces, but they will never just pull the trigger and gamble when they are close.  They need a stud strikeout style starter I think most of all.

I'd like to keep everyone too, but having two lineups worth of AAA prospects does nothing for today.  Heck - Freddy Peralta has proven he can pitch at altitude - he couldn't cost a crazy amount right now?  Even something like that would energize the fan base- just TRY!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Watermock said:

Surprised no one mentioned he was promoted to AAA the other day. 

DJ should return Thurs... Even if he shreds, no clear path to PT this year.

I would think he'd be a September candidate. With Lemah gone he could potentially step right in to 2B next year. Why not get a look at him for a month ?

Edited by fletch44

Rodgers was put on the DL today with a hamstring strain. No timetable to return at the moment. Had a pretty lackluster start to his AAA stint before the injury (though in a small sample size of just 31 PAs).

• Thanks 1

Statistically his minor league numbers are slightly better than Story's were, and he's a year younger than Story was at each stop. This obviously doesn't mean he will be as good in the majors as Story, but given Story's success I'm surprised there isn't more hype for this kid. He's ranked high on most lists, but there isn't nearly as much excitement about him as there is for other guys. I think this kid is going to be a beast and I can't wait for his big league debut.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 5:54 AM, bradwatson said:

Statistically his minor league numbers are slightly better than Story's were, and he's a year younger than Story was at each stop. This obviously doesn't mean he will be as good in the majors as Story, but given Story's success I'm surprised there isn't more hype for this kid. He's ranked high on most lists, but there isn't nearly as much excitement about him as there is for other guys. I think this kid is going to be a beast and I can't wait for his big league debut.

Agree 100%. An infield of Arenado, Story, Rodgers and Desmond/McMahon could be very scary. I also think he could move to 3rd if/when they lose arenado and Hampson would play second. 

I really hope hes up for a good amount of next year...

Will Rockies go with youth next year? I think Rodgers has a legit shot at grabbing 2nd with DJ moving on, if he does. Time for the Rox to let some of these fine hitting prospects have a roll. 

McMahon-1b, Rodgers-2B, Story-SS, Arenado-3, I know is loaded with projection, but  if two of those guys at 1 and 2 turn out as we think they will, what a nice young infield. 

Edited by kwolf68

13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Will Rockies go with youth next year? I think Rodgers has a legit shot at grabbing 2nd with DJ moving on, if he does. Time for the Rox to let some of these fine hitting prospects have a roll. 

McMahon-1b, Rodgers-2B, Story-SS, Arenado-3, I know is loaded with projection, but  if two of those guys at 1 and 2 turn out as we think they will, what a nice young infield. 

While Hampson is more capable of a utility role than Rodgers, it sure sounds like Hampson will get the first opportunity to man 2nd.  Sadly, with the Rockies tendencies in mind, it feels like a late call or cup of coffee for Rodgers next year.  I hope that’s not accurate - even though I like Hampson too.  I hope they both play a bunch.

In 2018 he did well in AA, awful in a SSS in AAA.  Even in AA he did most of his damage at home, and Hartford plays exceptionally well for RH Power. He barely had a 300 OBP on the road in AA. 

Nothing about his numbers suggests he needs to be up right now

Hampson did a lot better in AA and was more consistent of a hitter. Of course he's 2 years older and Rodgers is the prospect with more upside.  I just think for 2018, I'd be much more bullish on Hampson's vlaue than Rodgers.

• Like 3