NYR Fan 116894

Brendan Rodgers - SS COL

8 hours ago, wh3931110 said:

This guy gonna get called up this weekend?

I don't see any reason why he would be. It isn't like he is tearing it up. No one on the Rockies is really crushing right now, but I think they get a little more confidence vs. the Braves pitching this series. 

23 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Is there any reason to think he’s getting called up anytime soon? I’m starting to wonder if he has any MLB role in 2019. 

It is April 9th. The people in front of him have not been playing well. Patience....it is APRIL 9TH!

Off to a good start in the hitter friendly PCL. Career 19% K rate in the minors. I feel like there is still a lot to like here even though he has fallen down on many prospect lists. Biggest issue seems to be no path to playing time, but if Hampson continues to suck and Rodgers continues to hit he might get a chance at some point this year.

Interestingly he's been playing some 3B lately in the minors and played a decent amount there last year. This seems strange to me with Arenado anchored there for the next decade. Wonder if they want to groom him as some super utility guy for the infield.

Red hot lately. Average up to .326 with 5 bombs. Highest walk rate of his career so far and nearly the lowest K rate of his career.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bradwatson said:

Red hot lately. Average up to .326 with 5 bombs. Highest walk rate of his career so far and nearly the lowest K rate of his career.

If Hampson & McMahon keep doing what they're doing (practically nothing), Rodgers may end up being a permanent fixture at 2B in Coors soon after all (he's made 15 out of 21 starts at 2B in AAA, just one error in 66 chances so far, after no errors in 96 chances at 2B in 2018).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dark One said:

If Hampson & McMahon keep doing what they're doing (practically nothing), Rodgers may end up being a permanent fixture at 2B in Coors soon after all (he's made 15 out of 21 starts at 2B in AAA, just one error in 66 chances so far, after no errors in 96 chances at 2B in 2018).

Not entirely true. Hampson may take a seat, and he already basically does, but McMahon was injured right as the season got underway, but since his time back he's hit .286 with two HR's and 9 RBIs. Hardly doing nothing. 

With Daniel Murphy now in the fold, you'd have to see McMahon move to 1B I think to see Rodgers take over 2nd.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Watermock said:

McMahon was injured right as the season got underway, but since his time back he's hit .286 with two HR's and 9 RBIs. Hardly doing nothing.

Disagree strongly - a .722 OPS on the season to me is below replacement level offensively. Time will tell as he'll probably be given a fairly long leash over the next month or two, but right now I'm just not seeing a lot of production from him at all.

Edited by Dark One

1 minute ago, Dark One said:

Disagree strongly - a .722 OPS on the season to me is below replacement level offensively. Time will tell as he'll probably be given a fairly long leash over the next month or two, but right now I'm just not seeing a lot of production from him at all.

That's fine and all, but trust me, as a Rox fan, he isn't in danger. They'll have to get creative to get Rodgers solid playing time. I own Rodgers, so I hope they do, I just don't think it will be at McMahons expense. And as I said, he was injured right at the beginning of the year, so looking at stats that deeply on April 29 is short sighted. 

McMahon has had 1-2 good games. Hampson has had 1 good game. McMahon has been very replaceable. Hampson has been downright awful. If Rodgers continues what he's doing he might force his way into a callup. The PCL is a hitter friendly league, but the decrease in Ks and increase in walks should be a sign that he is figuring things out.

Remember that Bud Black said Rodgers had a great spring in-spite of lousy production. It might have been coach speak, but he mentioned changes to his approach being a big step forward. Those changes have carried over into AAA ball and have provided results thus far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Watermock said:

And as I said, he was injured right at the beginning of the year, so looking at stats that deeply on April 29 is short sighted. 

I own McMahon in like 4 leagues so I'm well aware of his 13 days on the sideline, I just have had no reason to be excited yet in the games he has played after a scalding hot Spring. In terms of being "short sighted", I initially stated that "If Hampson & McMahon keep doing what they're doing", the key being "If", so there's certainly time for things to reverse themselves, it's just good timing for Rodgers to be producing at AAA (PCL boost or not). I only own Rodgers in one league so I'd prefer to see McMahon raise that OPS in a hurry. Again, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

McMahon has had 1-2 good games. Hampson has had 1 good game. McMahon has been very replaceable. Hampson has been downright awful. If Rodgers continues what he's doing he might force his way into a callup. The PCL is a hitter friendly league, but the decrease in Ks and increase in walks should be a sign that he is figuring things out.

Remember that Bud Black said Rodgers had a great spring in-spite of lousy production. It might have been coach speak, but he mentioned changes to his approach being a big step forward. Those changes have carried over into AAA ball and have provided results thus far.

Yeah, Rodgers will definitely force their hand if he keeps this up. McMahon as has been said will be on long leash tho...he won't be affected any time soon. At least I'd be shocked if he were. 

Just now, Dark One said:

I own McMahon in like 4 leagues so I'm well aware of his 13 days on the sideline, I just have had no reason to be excited yet in the games he has played after a scalding hot Spring. In terms of being "short sighted", I initially stated that "If Hampson & McMahon keep doing what they're doing", the key being "If", so there's certainly time for things to reverse themselves, it's just good timing for Rodgers to be producing at AAA (PCL boost or not). I only own Rodgers in one league so I'd prefer to see McMahon raise that OPS in a hurry. Again, we'll see.

That's great. It's still short sighted, and April 29. 

1 minute ago, Watermock said:

That's great. It's still short sighted, and April 29. 

"IF" is not being short sighted. Stating that Rodgers deserves to be called up right now at their expense would indeed be.

Just now, Dark One said:

"IF" is not being short sighted. Stating that Rodgers deserves to be called up right now at their expense would indeed be.

You stated his current season OPS as a negative when he's played half a month so far. In any case, this thread is about Rodgers, and I'm not really interested in dropping pants and comparing sizes on McMahons season outlook. 

Just now, Watermock said:

You stated his current season OPS as a negative when he's played half a month so far. In any case, this thread is about Rodgers, and I'm not really interested in dropping pants and comparing sizes on McMahons season outlook. 

His OPS has indeed been a negative so far - and if it's somewhere around .722 a month or two from now while Hampson continues to languish on the bench and Rodgers continues to improve then it's not inconceivable there could be some changes. Stating that McMahon hasn't done anything to excite me yet and stating he deserves to lose his job right now are two different things.

I just have a hard time trusting the Rox to allocate the full-time ABs at the MLB level to him...even with his pedigree.

Hope I am wrong, because I'd like to see him up by June if the 2B options are still middling for them.

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I just have a hard time trusting the Rox to allocate the full-time ABs at the MLB level to him...even with his pedigree.

Hope I am wrong, because I'd like to see him up by June if the 2B options are still middling for them.

As a Rox fan, yeah, it's painful to see sometimes. They somewhat surprised me letting DJ walk to open up play time for McMahon and Hampson, but for Rodgers to see anything significant we'll need equally significant moves. 

He is worth stashing in a deep league where there probably isn't much else on the wire.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

17 hours ago, Watermock said:

As a Rox fan, yeah, it's painful to see sometimes. They somewhat surprised me letting DJ walk to open up play time for McMahon and Hampson, but for Rodgers to see anything significant we'll need equally significant moves. 

The Hampson thread is full of comments like this, and I don't really get it. Who is the last Rox prospect who was clearly ready but held down for an extended period of time? Arenado came up rather quickly.

Story made the opening day roster after his blistering spring training.

Dahl didn't linger in the minors - he's just always been hurt.

McMahon came up last year even though he probably wasn't ready.

Hampson is up this year and he's absolutely terrible and needs to go back down.

Even Pat the bat has gotten decent run.

So maybe Tapia? I just don't think he's very good.

As Mock said they let DJ walk because they had young talent at 2B, and it's not working out at all for them right now. I'm not sure Rodgers is ready, but he's the most talented of the 3 young options and neither of the other guys are getting it done at the big league level.

Edited by bradwatson
  • Like 1

What's the long term infield look like? Arenado at 3rd, McMahon at 1st, Story at SS, Rogers at 2B and Hampson to super utility?

That's a lot of young talent. 

19 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

What's the long term infield look like? Arenado at 3rd, McMahon at 1st, Story at SS, Rogers at 2B and Hampson to super utility?

In the unlikely event all three of the unproven kids completely pan out to every ounce of potential Hampson would likely end up in the outfield. 

5 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Welker > McMahon 

• Like 1

I was looking at the Rockies schedule and this is 100% pure speculation, but it wouldn't shock me to see Rodgers get called up for the homestand starting on Friday. The Rockies return home for 9 games against the part of the division they must beat up on a bit if they expect to compete: DBacks, Padres, and Giants. 

The Rockies are just middling. They haven't played many home games, but their offense is bottom tier. I understand injuries, small sample sizes and all of that stuff, but this lineup is not very concerning once you get past the top 4-5 guys. I think they can do something interesting at least mixing and matching lefties Dahl, Charlie, Murphy and righties Nolan, Story and Rodgers. They are going to eat the catcher and pitcher slots and this won't help Desmond as the CF slot, but it should at least make the lineup a little bit longer and more concerning.

Anyway, just looking things over and thought if there was a time to try and give your roster a jolt with a prospect this might be it. No sense saving bullets when you divisional matchups come across the schedule. I think the move is Hampson being sent down and Rogers coming up with Hampson moving to CF in AAA. I do expect Desmond to perform better than he has, but the Rockies need to be responsible and starting looking for an alternative in CF. Also, with such a massive OF they need to infuse speed to start to cover some of the ground. Charlie has lost a step or two and is buried in the corner spot, but Dahl and Hampson can cover some ground on defense. This could solve a few of their problems without going outside of the organization. Almost seems too logical so I am sure I am missing something enormous. 

• Like 1