Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cltubbs

Hunter Renfroe - OF SD

He has improved as of late since he began the season in AA...

In 72 games played this year he is hitting .251 with 8 HR, 32 RBI, 21 BB, 75 SO

Strikeouts need to come down and would be nice to see him draw more walks, but the potential is there for him to be a very good player with all star potential.

I decided to pick him up off the wire in my dynasty league...right now he's a 2016 ETA to the majors, but with Kemp, Upton and Myers in the outfield, Renfroe may be waiting a bit longer.

Thoughts?

Perhaps a spot could open up for Renfroe if Upton leaves the Padres in free agency this winter

Off to a better start than last year...hitting .289 in his first 9 games. No homers yet

Seems like a potential breakout season here for Renfroe...hitting .310 with 7HR, 26 RBI through 35 games at AAA. I couldn't resist and picked him up in free agency in my dynasty league

He was dropped recently in my 14 team dynasty, wondering why. Will probably pick him up.

Absolutely raking lately. He should get a shot at some point this year but looks like a lot of Ks and not many BBs. Anybody see him carrying over his AAA success to the bigs?

Here's his pre-2016 outlook from Prospect 361:

"Fantasy Impact: The elephant in the room with Renfroe is Petco Park. In most other organization, Renfroe would have 25 home run upside, but playing half his games in Petco, fantasy owners should downshift by 20%, setting the ceiling at 18 to 20. Put it all together and hes a .270, 20 home run guy with average runs scored and RBIs. That should make him rosterable as a third outfielder in most deeper mixed leagues."

I agree with that, although his avg in the majors may end up in the .250-.260 range. Would like to see him develop the ability to draw walks though.

19.6% K rate in 2016 so far, compared to a 25.8% K rate in 2015. Bodes well for the future if he can continue this trend.

Renfroe kept on rolling on Wednesday, going 2-5 with a 2B and a HR. Now hitting .320/.343/.610 in 200 AB for AAA-El Paso.

Renfroe had another good effort last night by ripping three doubles.

I'm not sure when we see him. Maybe it takes the Padres moving Kemp and/or Upton.

Up until this year Melvin had played CF... would they be opposed to sliding Melvin back to CF, put Renfroe in LF, then use Jay as a 4th OF?

Up until this year Melvin had played CF... would they be opposed to sliding Melvin back to CF, put Renfroe in LF, then use Jay as a 4th OF?

Right now?

vs LHP Jay, Kemp, Renfore Upton to the bench

vs RHP Upton + rotation between Kemp, Jay, Renfore..

Frankly Kemp may get benched the most of the 3 given how awful he's been vs RHP + his already crap defense. If Kemp has another 2nd half spark. Different story..but his PT vs RHP probably gets cut more than Jon Jay right now if they called him up soon. (Not that jay is anything special either, just more a bang on Kemp)

The Padres are a team that has more to gain by showcasing what they have on their major league roster in anticipation of a fire sale. They aren't winning this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if we don't see Renfroe (and maybe even Margot) until after they can move guys like Kemp, Jay Upton etc.

One other note, he's 24 years old, how much ng can you really keep him in the minors. It's at the point where you literally start wasting his career if you don't call him.

Your 13th overall pick is going to be 25 with 1 month expedience in 2017? Just seems dumb.

Situation screams super 2 call up to me. But who knows with the Padres.

I'm usually on the side of keeping guys in the minors have longer too...