Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cltubbs

Hunter Renfroe - OF SD

Who is a good mlb comp for renfroe if he gets called up and plays well?

He keeps getting better and better. Big night yesterday... 3 for 5 with 5 RBI and 1 HR. Hitting .313 with 14 HR, 50 RBI, 7 BB, 3 SB and only 45K in 59 games at AAA.

Good power and SD isn't as bad a park as it used to be.  Middle of the pack this year and 10th best park for hitting HR last year.

Worried that he only has 7 BB so far this year.  Doesn't strike out excessively though.

4 hours ago, svdude said:

Good power and SD isn't as bad a park as it used to be.  Middle of the pack this year and 10th best park for hitting HR last year.

Worried that he only has 7 BB so far this year.  Doesn't strike out excessively though.

The problem is hes essentially a one trick pony. Power, thats it. The average has never been there really, at least not enough as a tool Id trust at the MLB level. Couple that with the power/avg boost that we are seeing this year being at least partially related to the PCL boost (its very real) and the about 8:1 K:BB hes sporting and there are signs of concern.

That said I do think hes set for a call up here this year to show if he can translate, but we've seen PCL guys take a hit once called up before and it wouldnt surprise me here. 

Wow I know it's PCL but this power binge is very exciting

2 hours ago, machine3 said:

4 for 6 last night with #18. 

Is a post-All-Star call up possible?

59 minutes ago, avswsop91 said:

Is a post-All-Star call up possible?

If the Padres trade an OF or 2, or get injuries at those positions IMO. I hope he gets the call...he seems ready for the show

Jon Jay with a broken forearm...but they called up Alex Dickerson.

Hmm... 

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Jon Jay with a broken forearm...but they called up Alex Dickerson.

Hmm... 

makes sense, they want Renfroe playing every day more that Dickerson.

Jankowski is the CF no matter what

Padres don't deserve good prospects like him. Former 1st rounder,  24 years old,  just destroying AAA... and they refuse to call him up.

Great, he'll be a 25 year old rookie. ... good job. 

They are wasting his career. If I were him I would seriously consider filling a grievence, this is obscene.

HR #21 on Thursday. Anyone know why he's on the temporary inactive list now?

Nvm...probably because he's in the futures game Sunday 

The Padres history of producing prospects that turn in the major leaguers is the worst in the majors.  Look at their drought of drafting and developing a player who turns into an all star, think about how many draft picks you have in a given year and the fact the drought is like 30 years?  Cmon.  

My assumption is a trade of Kemp and then you will see Renfroe, but as pointed out in earlier posts, I would be somewhat skeptical.  You should see him in the second half, there is no rush here (meaning they arent rushing him) he was a college guy, he is 24, time to offload and OF and see what you have.  

Hunter Renfroe will be interesting to watch.  He reminds me a little bit of Andrew Lambo, but sacrificing some power for contact.

I think Renfroe has the upside of a .250, 25 HR type of player.  He might have a year when he hits 30, but basically Justin Upton light is the profile I see for him.

10 hours ago, parrothead said:

The Padres history of producing prospects that turn in the major leaguers is the worst in the majors.  Look at their drought of drafting and developing a player who turns into an all star, think about how many draft picks you have in a given year and the fact the drought is like 30 years?  Cmon.  

My assumption is a trade of Kemp and then you will see Renfroe, but as pointed out in earlier posts, I would be somewhat skeptical.  You should see him in the second half, there is no rush here (meaning they arent rushing him) he was a college guy, he is 24, time to offload and OF and see what you have.  

Or they could just call him up over Dickerson, then both Kemp and Renfroe will be in the lineup, good forbid the Padres do something that might make them good. 

About to sell-high based on the PCL numbers. Should I be concerned he can actually become a superstar though?

My feeling is that his upside is more of an OF3. .250 BA with 25 HR's as someone said is nothing to sneeze it, but I also see his downside being failing to establish himself as an everyday player. His age is also a little concerning and has to be taken into consideration when dissecting his current numbers.

On Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Golden Spikes said:

Dickerson is producing better

Eh... better average... that's it.

You don't hold back a potential mid of order bat, best player on the team,  guy for a AAAA like Dickerson.