Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cltubbs

Hunter Renfroe - OF SD

23 hours ago, PPolanco said:

About to sell-high based on the PCL numbers. Should I be concerned he can actually become a superstar though?

My feeling is that his upside is more of an OF3. .250 BA with 25 HR's as someone said is nothing to sneeze it, but I also see his downside being failing to establish himself as an everyday player. His age is also a little concerning and has to be taken into consideration when dissecting his current numbers.

Just bumping myself. Do we see more Nelson Cruz upside or Jeff Francoeur 2.0?

On 7/12/2016 at 10:35 AM, StevieStats said:

Eh... better average... that's it.

You don't hold back a potential mid of order bat, best player on the team,  guy for a AAAA like Dickerson.

how do we know Dickerson is a AAAA player yet.  Renfroe will only be up when he can play every single day.  and not its not just batting average, its OPS, SLG, K/BB ratio, OBP pretty much everything across the board

7 hours ago, PPolanco said:

Just bumping myself. Do we see more Nelson Cruz upside or Jeff Francoeur 2.0?

No clue.  He has a very good power geared swing that should translate in MLB HR power.

Its just a matter if his aggressive approach will leave big holes in his swing that gets exposed. Something we can't know until he starts facing MLB pitching.

But his upside is pretty high. He was the 13th overall pick a few years back for a reason.

I mean if you can sell high, or can compete this year move him him for an established MLB player. If your not competing, and in a dynasty league then why not keep him.  Not saying he doesnt have a chance to succeed, but the last time we saw a Padres prospect with these kind of numbers was Gyorko.  His fielding is okay, so that should help him stay in the lineup a bit.

For the season at AAA, now hitting .331, 24 HR, 84 RBI, 15 BB, 80 SO...

With growing rumors of MLB teams discussing trading for Melvin Upton, this could point to a possible call up for Renfroe (I hope)

Melvin Upton dealt to Toronto, have to believe this kid gets the call right?  No other options - though could be a time share playing time wise unless Kemp is dealt as well.  Would Renfroe play LF or Kemp?

47 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Melvin Upton dealt to Toronto, have to believe this kid gets the call right?  No other options - though could be a time share playing time wise unless Kemp is dealt as well.  Would Renfroe play LF or Kemp?

Margot is the other option. There were rumors of him getting a call if Upton was traded a few days ago, but apparently he has a sore foot now. I really hope it is Renfroe. 

I think you have to assume he's now getting the call and move pro-actively. I'm not sure what to expect - the Ks don't scare me nearly as much as the 3.8% walk rate - but he seems like a worthwhile gamble in deeper or dynasty leagues. 

Makes sense for Renfroe to get the call up, since he's already 24 and has seemingly mastered AAA, while Margot is only 21.

OTOH, who plays CF with Jankowski? Margot could do it, but Renfroe or Dickerson certain are not and those days are probably gone for Kemp as well.  When is Jay back?

yeah...that is why it could me Margot..because its a collection of Corner-OF types besides Jankowski.. Hope i'm wrong... Renfroe would be better for fantasy

Thanks Padres. Killing fantasy baseball owners dreams since 1969. 

7 minutes ago, gocubsgo1908 said:

Been stashing Renfroe for a while now, not sure how much longer I can wait...

Considering the way Alex Dickerson is playing the only way I see Renfroe getting consistent ABs is if Matt Kemp is traded or injured. I'm not surprised at all that Renfroe is staying put for now. If you can you might want to go ahead and pick up Dickerson.   

Here's the full Preller quote:

We want to get through the week and (the Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline), and at that point in time, we would re-evaluate," Preller said. "My guess is we’re probably going to look more at the traditional September call-up (for Renfroe and/or Margot). But honestly, we’ll know a little more after we get past (Aug. 1).

So yeah, typical GM double-speak.

7 hours ago, klove42 said:

Thanks Padres. Killing fantasy baseball owners dreams since 1969. 

Dickerson was mashing just as much as Renfore in AAA.. He deserves his shot at proving himself...and he can help your fantasy team too!

Dickerson has seized the moment.  Don't see them wanting to sit him while he is white hot.  Renfroe being called up to be the 4th outfielder and thereby not getting everyday playing time prospects need makes no sense.  Couple that with not contending therefore no need to start that team control clock early and shoot your organization in the foot and I wouldn't look for him coming up for awhile.

IF he gets called up when rosters expand in September he'd be the 4th OF (barring injury), correct? I see no value for this season (never did) but what about next season? Does he have a job for 2017?

30 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

IF he gets called up when rosters expand in September he'd be the 4th OF (barring injury), correct? I see no value for this season (never did) but what about next season? Does he have a job for 2017?

Padres currently have Kemp, Dickerson, Jay and Jankowski in the OF. Jay is a free agent after this season, so I suppose Margot takes his spot and plays center field. 

I don't think Kemp gets moved until the offseason (if the Padres can find a team that wants his contract), but that would be key to Renfroe getting a starting gig in LF or RF, with Margot & Dickerson in the other spots IMO.

Welp Kemp is gone.. Everything has been cleared for Renfore...  

Future OF: Margot in center, Dickerson/Renfore at the Corners and Janowski as the 4th OF IMO

28 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

any idea if he is in the lineup in El Paso tonight?

he is. margot isn't.