Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jclee4

Anthony Davis 2015-2016 Season Outlook

"Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry is encouraging Anthony Davis to extend his range to the 3-point line.

Davis made just one 3-pointer last season but Gentry is challenging him to make 300 corner 3-pointers every day he works out. "That's got to become a consistent shot for him," Gentry said. "We want him to shoot that shot. So I think you probably see him make more 3s than he's made his entire career." Davis is also expected to play more center this season as Gentry tries to increase the pace. It was hard to imagine Davis' unreal fantasy ceiling getting any higher, but Gentry just made it happen."

Interesting

26/11/3 with a steal and 3 blocks? Oh and a 3??? On 50% Shooting and 81% FTs?! Yes please....

I've never had a 1st overall pick in any draft I've ever done. Hoping I can score at least one this year to get AD... Like I REALLY hope I can.

I've never had a 1st overall pick in any draft I've ever done. Hoping I can score at least one this year to get AD... Like I REALLY hope I can.

Im praying for the same.

Join an auction-draft league. It's a little early to try gauge AD's price but if Durant was worth at least $90 then I don't see a reason why AD can't command the same price. KD was so good from 2012-2014 spending nearly half of your budget on him was still a bargain. AD is about to enter the same stratusphere and the uncertainty about KD's health makes it a strong case for betting the house on AD.

After watching Ibaka regress last year, I don't want to hear that they're encouraging AD to shoot more 3s. If he just keeps doing what he's been doing, coupled with some natural progression in the areas he's already so good in, and he stays healthy, then he'll easily be the number 1 guy this year come seasons end.

The difference between Ibaka and AD is that AD was once a guard so a long-range shot comes natural to him. His fg% might suffer a bit in exchange for more 3's attempts but his fantasy value should be just fine because he's a multi-cat contributor. Plus, outside shooting means less banging inside the paint. I've seen some of the injuries he suffered and most of them occurred under the basket.

Here's a video of him practicing his outside shooting this offseason. If someone can embed it it'll be much appreciated:

http://youtu.be/Mq3-cBXX4lc

His stroke and form looks so natural like he has been doing it before which is truly the case. I think this is one of the reasons why Gentry was prompted to say AD was misused.

I would be glad if AD improved his assist numbers (last year he averaged only 2.2 ast per game). Maybe, a new coach and new system will give him a boost in that area.

I would rather AD developes a post up game first than 3 point range. Imagine AD has a legit post up game, this will enable him to be the best player in the league consider he is already top 3 right now.

Just to play devil's advocate here...

For a guy who always seems to miss 14-18 games a season, it would be tough to draft him first overall.

For a guy who always seems to miss 14-18 games a season, it would be tough to draft him first overall.

He's still top-2 in season total ranking just behind Steph Curry who played 80 games and had an MVP season. James harden and CP3 who played 81 & 82 games respectively were behind AD.

His tendency to miss games shouldn't affect his rank in Roto. H2H is a different ballgame though.

He's still top-2 in season total ranking just behind Steph Curry who played 80 games and had an MVP season. James harden and CP3 who played 81 & 82 games respectively were behind AD.

His tendency to miss games shouldn't affect his rank in Roto. H2H is a different ballgame though.

When you consider the fact that we're all day to day in a thing called life, it really puts things into perspective.

very excited to see what Gentry can do for Davis' improvement as a player. I don't like that Ibaka comparison. While Ibaka functioned as a spot up shooter, Davis has a much more complete offensive arsenal 20 feet and in. if he can shoot 3's (well), it's only going to make his face up game more lethal, and the team will benefit with the extra spacing (esp with Reke on the floor). a lot of people think he should continue bulking up and work on his post game, but I don't think traditional post play is all that important in today's NBA. Davis' face up game is fantastic, he's too quick and athletic for most opponent bigs, and along with that sweet midrange J that's all he needs to score at will. IMO the next step in him becoming a transcendental player is his playmaking/passing ability. we know he can get his, but a team's offense will always be better if the best player can pass the rock and get his teammates quality looks

I might need to rig my league this year so I get first pick

I could see myself grabbing Davis at #1 if i got spot. My concern with Davis at #1 is that he gets hurt all the time. His last 3 seasons he's played limited games of 64 games ('12-'13), 67 games ('13-'14), and 68 games ('14-'15) . That to me throws up a red flag. Davis bring all the stats I usually base my teams around which are blocks, rebs, pts, fg%, and pts.

I do see his stats exploding with the new coach though.

I could see myself grabbing Davis at #1 if i got spot. My concern with Davis at #1 is that he gets hurt all the time. His last 3 seasons he's played limited games of 64 games ('12-'13), 67 games ('13-'14), and 68 games ('14-'15) . That to me throws up a red flag. Davis bring all the stats I usually base my teams around which are blocks, rebs, pts, fg%, and pts.

I do see his stats exploding with the new coach though.

Stephen Curry was labeled an injury risk early on. Anthony Davis' injuries have been pretty flukey, from what I remember. I know one season he suffered a concussion from an elbow from his own teammate. Random stuff like that cannot be accounted for and shouldn't make you second guess the best player in fantasy basketball. It's all systems go for me if I'm lucky enough to get him.

Outside of catastrophic career ending injuries such as an ACL tear, most people don't realize that "injury risk" is a simple numbers game. At any given time a certain non-zero amount of starters will be injured. Let's say at any given time, 10% of all starters are on the IR list. Davis may have spent some time on there, perhaps even more so than the average, but a lot of it is random. Assuming he will miss time in the future is a form of the gambler's fallacy imo. He has the same likelihood of being on the IR list as any other player in a similar situation, given his age, MPG, etc. No more and no less. A lot of sports is random actually....

Outside of catastrophic career ending injuries such as an ACL tear, most people don't realize that "injury risk" is a simple numbers game. At any given time a certain non-zero amount of starters will be injured. Let's say at any given time, 10% of all starters are on the IR list. Davis may have spent some time on there, perhaps even more so than the average, but a lot of it is random. Assuming he will miss time in the future is a form of the gambler's fallacy imo. He has the same likelihood of being on the IR list as any other player in a similar situation, given his age, MPG, etc. No more and no less. A lot of sports is random actually....

I don't behave that. Some people are just injury prone. Easily breakable. Everyone is made differently and unfortunately some people are just fragile. It's life.

I don't behave that. Some people are just injury prone. Easily breakable. Everyone is made differently and unfortunately some people are just fragile. It's life.

Not really, you're just trying to provide a logical explaination to random occurrences post facto.

Not really, you're just trying to provide a logical explaination to random occurrences post facto.
I disagree. There are plenty of factors that contribute to any players injury risk. Random occurrences are definitely one factor, but so too are injury history, playing style, age, genetic predisposition to certain problems, etc. You can't pin it all on luck when there are so many more factors at play. Even something as seemingly random as concussion, there's plenty of evidence that suggests players of any sport who have suffered a concussion before are more likely to do so again. It's not just because they're unlucky.

When I say random I don't mean everyone has an equal chance. Individuals have different risk factors, but that risk may never be realized. E.g. let's say arthritis runs in Dirk's family, thereby increasing his likelihood of a major injury injury to 30% while most pro basketball players at his age and position only has a 15%. But Dirk never developed a major hand injury, despite the risk being higher. One's individual factors can impact the chance of something happening, but it may not actually happen. Conversely, one can have a pristine family history, be young, etc. and suffer a fluke injury. My mainpoint being just because Davis has had fluke injuries in the past that isn't necessarily indicative of future risk.

Assuming 200 budget and standard lineup, I paid 71 last year and loved it. I'd honestly go up to 80-85 without thought. Now, that was H2h so I dunno how useful that is to you