NYR Fan 116894

Victor Robles - OF WAS

Nationals' Victor Robles: Avoids serious injury

14 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff

Robles (elbow) will head to Washington DC on Tuesday for further evaluation after x-rays came back negative, Jorge Castillo of The Washington Post reports.

Robles exited Monday's game early after diving for a fly ball, but he received good news when x-rays on his left elbow came back negative. More news on his status should be forthcoming after he undergoes further testing Tuesday. Robles is currently listed as Washington's No. 1 minor-league prospect.

good news:

Tests have cleared Victor Robles of any structural damage in his injured left elbow.

Robles suffered a nasty looking injury on a diving catch attempt a week ago in a game at Triple-A Syracuse, but he managed to escape with only a hyperextended elbow and does not need surgery. His rehab is still going to take a while, but the top prospect will be able to contribute to the big club this season.

Apr 16 - 10:53 PM

• Like 3

Does this impact his prospect status for 2019?  I'm thinking he should still be an elite prospect for next year.  Seems to put 2018 in a pretty precarious position for anything more than a cup of coffee.

Edited by AHF

On 4/22/2018 at 12:05 PM, bigbossman said:

Roughly is he out until July? 

From what I've seen that seems like the rough time frame.  I'm sure it will dial-in to provide us more clarity over time.

What’s going on with this dude? Can’t find any news/updates on him. Is he getting close to playing anytime soon?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Shortnphat said:

What’s going on with this dude? Can’t find any news/updates on him. Is he getting close to playing anytime soon?

They said monthS when he got hurt. Its been about a month. I saw one of the beat writers suggest mid- to late-June at the time of the injury.

• Like 2

I can't find anything concrete.  I was looking to pick this guy up, but partly due to potential contributions this season.  That looks tough right now with Soto stealing his thunder and a somewhat crowded situation in the WAS OF.

If anything, I'm wondering if Soto now has made Robles expendable.  If the Nats want to go for it in their last season of Bryce, could Robles move?

Don’t think so.  I think the Nats will want to keep that young OF together for as long as humanly possible.  If anyone will be dealt, I’d expect it to be Kieboom 

From a couple days ago: 

Rizzo provided an update on injured outfield prospect Victor Robles, who's been out of commission since April 9 with a hyper-extended left elbow, which got rolled up under his bodyin an attempted diving catch.

"He's coming along good," said Rizzo. "He's gonna start baseball activities in the near future. We'll test out that elbow in stress situations, like when he's playing games, and we'll see how it fares."

"If it fares well," he said, "it'll be great for us because then no surgery is needed and we'll get this guy back sometime this year."

https://thefandc.radio.com/nationals-mike-rizzo-had-our-eyes-on-kelvin-herrera-for-years

On 6/22/2018 at 12:36 PM, Squeeealer said:

I can't find anything concrete.  I was looking to pick this guy up, but partly due to potential contributions this season.  That looks tough right now with Soto stealing his thunder and a somewhat crowded situation in the WAS OF.

If anything, I'm wondering if Soto now has made Robles expendable.  If the Nats want to go for it in their last season of Bryce, could Robles move?

With Harper being a FA next year, I have to think that WSH will want to keep Robles. Put Soto in RF and Robles in CF for the foreseeable future if Harper signs elsewhere. If they manage to resign Harper they have their OF figured out for a long time.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:07 PM, Dark Kn19ht said:

With Harper being a FA next year, I have to think that WSH will want to keep Robles. Put Soto in RF and Robles in CF for the foreseeable future if Harper signs elsewhere. If they manage to resign Harper they have their OF figured out for a long time.

Right, but with Harper leaving next year, perhaps they want to make a push now? Braves should be even better next season.

3 hours ago, Squeeealer said:

Right, but with Harper leaving next year, perhaps they want to make a push now? Braves should be even better next season.

I don't think they'll ruin their entire future in the OF for a push this year. Losing Harper and Robles would be too much next season don't you think? I think they'd prefer to move other pieces for the push if they go that route, and hold Robles.

Where does he play though? I guess Nats would have to move Harper to 1B for real. 

7 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Where does he play though? I guess Nats would have to move Harper to 1B for real. 

Harper is certainly moving...to another team. That’ll fix the OF situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevk44 said:

Harper is certainly moving...to another team. That’ll fix the OF situation.

I completely agree - Soto's emergence coupled with the perceived safe floor of Robles should be enough incentive to let Harper walk (though that would of course be effective in 2019 - doubt the Nats would consider trading Harper due to still being in the playoff race).

Edited by Dark One