Gauthmann44

Lewis Brinson - OF MIL

166 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Where would he play in majors? Bump broxton?

More likely that he will slide into an everyday role if/once Braun is dealt.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

@The Big Bat Theory suggested they gain an extra year of control if they wait until 2018. Seems like that would make Super Two irrelevant this year if I understand correctly. Would also make him less desirable in some keeper leagues (e.g. those with smaller benches). 

There are two things and I don;t pretend to know the details but from what I've read hear overtime it goes something like this:  Again, two separate things in extra year of control and pushing back arbitration one year.  The latter is what Super 2 is about.  Extra year of control usually flips over sometime in April so they already have an extra year of control on Brinson now.  Super 2 is usually sometime in June but you don't know when until 2 years down the line so it is guess work based on some formula I don't understand but others have explained here in detail in the past.

So Brinson is good to go for that extra year of control already.  If they want to push back the first year he is eligible for arbitration (aka save some money but doesn't effect the years they control him before he can become a FA) then they have to wait until sometime in June.

Now they can gain an extra EXTRA year of control if they waited until late April 2018 which they may have thought they could do with Braun, Santana and Broxton playing now but that isn't working out for them.  I don't think they will do that now.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Thanks, BBT. I did not realize that it was possible to get an "extra EXTRA" year of control. Thought it was limited to just one extra year. Think I might pounce on Brinson in one of my keeper leagues now.

I seriously doubt he is held back until 2018 if he's mashing in AAA... Mostly because he is already on the brewers 40 man...and under the MLBPA umbrella...

Post super 2 is far more likely..

Edited by Slatykamora

2 hours ago, einstein2u said:

Who is mlb comparison?

Adam Jones is the one I always hear thrown around.

Any idea if he gets called up before June?

With Broxton's struggles and Santana's inconsistency we should see him sooner than later.  

Just how real is the 30/30 potential?

7 hours ago, borindia said:

Just how real is the 30/30 potential?

Not very real, much. 20 20 is probably pushing it. I could see him hitting in20 home runs multiple times in his career, but the steals are much harder to project. At least he's going to a club that runs.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, einstein2u said:

Who is mlb comparison?

I've heard Cutch

I've been following him closely for a while and think he has power upside greater than 20HR.  If everything goes well, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the 25-30 range at his peak.  I don't expect over 20 steals.

9 hours ago, Solar said:

I've been following him closely for a while and think he has power upside greater than 20HR.  If everything goes well, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the 25-30 range at his peak.  I don't expect over 20 steals.

Agree on the power upside, but the last few years he's stolen 15-20 bags while playing ~100 games.  Is it really a stretch to think 20SB's is a reach if he plays 140?

12 hours ago, cpdaly said:

Agree on the power upside, but the last few years he's stolen 15-20 bags while playing ~100 games.  Is it really a stretch to think 20SB's is a reach if he plays 140?

My thought was that he'd need to add size to his 195lb frame to hit 30HR, which would bring the steals down a bit. Who knows though, I wouldn't rule anything out with his tools.

Floor = Adam Jones

Ceiling = Carl Crawford?

5 hours ago, borindia said:

Floor = Adam Jones

Ceiling = Carl Crawford?

Adam Jones at the floor? That dude is quite good to be giving him as a floor for any prospect.....

3 people like this

6 hours ago, borindia said:

Floor = Adam Jones

Ceiling = Carl Crawford?

Yea that's ambitious 

im more confused about the carl crawford ceiling.  which carl crawford we talkin about?

Anyone else a bit disappointed with Brinson so far? I mean he has a .910 OPS and 4HR which on its face looks good, but for someone playing half their games in Colorado Springs(a top 5 hitters  park in the minors) and the rest in various PCL launching pads, I'm quite underwhelmed

23 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

im more confused about the carl crawford ceiling.  which carl crawford we talkin about?

its a pretty poor comp anyway you slice it, Brinson is never going to steal 50-60 bases in a season, ever. 

Old school Carl Crawford, being compared to him is an absolute compliment tho, that guy was awesome.

42 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

2007-2010 version

Edited by borindia

36 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Braun to DL.... Time?

Aren't they still worried about his service clock/super two nonsense?

14 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Aren't they still worried about his service clock/super two nonsense?

Service clock time?  No.  That was over the first couple of weeks of the season.  Just Super 2 which is pushing back eligibility for arbitration a year; not free agency.  Which they can avoid with their current players for a few weeks most likely.  But it isn't as important as service time for free agency whose date is way in the past now.