AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Schwarber 2.0?

Golden Spikes winner

Plus Power

Excellent Plate Discipline

Glide Path to Houston -- 1B/DH

335/.442/.616 18 HR 65 RBI 50 BB 66 SO 263 AB

MiLB Cal League player of the Week

Yes he does. I have stock in Reed but I'm anxiously waiting to see him in Double A to see if he's real or not. The same with Phillips.

Hitter friendly Park and a ton of length in his swing. Not too excited in the profile overall imo. Not my type of guy

He's got stupid power but doesn't he play in an extremely hitter friendly park?

Hitter friendly Park and a ton of length in his swing. Not too excited in the profile overall imo. Not my type of guy

Hitter friendly park? Have you been to Minute Maid? I guess I see him as a prospect that can get to the big leagues quick and get plugged in at DH or 1B in 2016 at some point. The book on Goldschmidt was "long swing", too. That was trumpeted so loudly, I dropped him after his first taste of the bigs, expecting him to be a two-outcome hitter. Bryant has a "long swing" too, but he has excellent pitch recognition and knows the strike zone fairly well. Reed's walk/strikeout ratio stands out, IMO. He knows how to hit and punishes mistakes.

I guess that's the joy in prospecting. I think he's going to outperform expectations. Others, not so much. It'll be fun to watch which direction he heads in.

• Like 1

Hitter friendly park? Have you been to Minute Maid? I guess I see him as a prospect that can get to the big leagues quick and get plugged in at DH or 1B in 2016 at some point. The book on Goldschmidt was "long swing", too. That was trumpeted so loudly, I dropped him after his first taste of the bigs, expecting him to be a two-outcome hitter. Bryant has a "long swing" too, but he has excellent pitch recognition and knows the strike zone fairly well. Reed's walk/strikeout ratio stands out, IMO. He knows how to hit and punishes mistakes.

I guess that's the joy in prospecting. I think he's going to outperform expectations. Others, not so much. It'll be fun to watch which direction he heads in.

I was talking about Lancaster not minute made. Lancaster is one of the big time number skewers in the whole minor leagues. Hitters heaven. I Typically want to see Astros prospects perform in AA before really really praising them

I was talking about Lancaster not minute made. Lancaster is one of the big time number skewers in the whole minor leagues. Hitters heaven.

You completely missed his point

I was talking about Lancaster not minute made. Lancaster is one of the big time number skewers in the whole minor leagues. Hitters heaven. I Typically want to see Astros prospects perform in AA before really really praising them

To me, AJ Reed is a really interesting prospect for the reasons you guys state above. The scouts pretty much all say universally that his swing is too long (as they did with Goldschmidt as mentioned above).

But he crushed in college as a two-way player...

He's crushing in A ball despite being a full-time hitter for the first time...

As mentioned, his current ball-park is a hitter's haven. If he gets to AA and continues to crush there I'm in.

There's no reason he should still be in High A. He's way too advanced for that level and I want to see him challenged in AA.

He's batting .384 since May 1. I'm too lazy to calculate his triple-slash but it's gotta be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Haven't seen official confirmation yet, but rumor is Reed has been promoted to AA.

Going to be interesting to see how he performs outside of Cal League. If he performs well in Texas League in second half, I believe the skeptics will be silenced.

He's batting .384 since May 1. I'm too lazy to calculate his triple-slash but it's gotta be ridiculous.

1.181 OPS since 5/1. It was past time by probably a month.

Astros prospect 1B A.J. Reed went 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI on Monday in his second game for Double-A Corpus Christi.

Reed was promoted to Corpus Christi on Sunday after a monstrous first half at High-A Lancaster during which he led the California League in batting average (.346), OBP (.449), slugging (.638), home runs (23), runs scored (75), RBI (81) walks (59) and total bases (203). The 22-year-old first baseman has been a force since signing with the Astros last summer, as he now sports a robust .322/.418/.586 batting line to go along with 35 home runs, 37 doubles, 137 RBI and a 129/90 strikeout-to-walk ratio through 152 professional games.

That's Goldyesqe.

Astros prospect 1B A.J. Reed went 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBI on Monday in his second game for Double-A Corpus Christi.

Reed was promoted to Corpus Christi on Sunday after a monstrous first half at High-A Lancaster during which he led the California League in batting average (.346), OBP (.449), slugging (.638), home runs (23), runs scored (75), RBI (81) walks (59) and total bases (203). The 22-year-old first baseman has been a force since signing with the Astros last summer, as he now sports a robust .322/.418/.586 batting line to go along with 35 home runs, 37 doubles, 137 RBI and a 129/90 strikeout-to-walk ratio through 152 professional games.

That's Goldyesqe.

People can talk about Lancaster all they want. It's that K/BB ratio that really stands out. It's called pitch recognition, and that's a gift. You can make up for a longer swing by reacting quicker to the release. We'll get a good idea at Corpus Christi if he's the real deal. There's no one really in his way, unless Singleton finally puts it together. And if that happens, he can DH.

• Like 1

Isnt the "But he played in a hitters league" thing kind of irrelevant since wRC+ adjusts for league and park? His wRC+ is 20 points higher than the next guy in A+

Edited by mpbaseball22

That's Goldyesqe.

One thing I do want to mention since a couple of people, including myself, have mentioned Goldie in this thread. When scouts have been asked why they missed on Goldie they almost all say it's because they underestimated his athleticism (and by extension his ability to make adjustments). I have no idea what level of athlete Reed is or isn't (although I'm assuming he's a decent one given that he was a two way player) but I did want to mention one of the reasons scouts missed on Goldie. TIFWIW.

• Like 1

Will aj reed's steals also come out of nowhere haha?

I don't think anybody is expecting SBs and the comp to Goldy as being a fly under the radar type guy despite incredible numbers is on point.