Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Reed doesn't have to perform from game 1 on. The Astros aren't calling him up anytime soon barring an injury. He just needs to get acclimated to AAA and maintain his career norms which he should do given his plate discipline. If he does, I bet he's called up in June like Correa

Reed doesn't have to perform from game 1 on. The Astros aren't calling him up anytime soon barring an injury. He just needs to get acclimated to AAA and maintain his career norms which he should do given his plate discipline. If he does, I bet he's called up in June like Correa

There was a clear path for Correa, especially when Lowrie GOT HURT!!!! lol. He needs an injury or a severe slump by White or Gattis to get the call

People really still worried about the path for Reed?

That's cute.

no doubt. for just this year. Over/under is mid-season. They were in it last year and it took an injury for them to bring up a better prospect with even less in his way. So yes, path needs to be unobstructed

People really still worried about the path for Reed?

That's cute.

no doubt. for just this year. Over/under is mid-season. They were in it last year and it took an injury for them to bring up a better prospect with even less in his way. So yes, path needs to be unobstructed

I don't think there's a path issue at all. Even when Jed Lowrie got hurt they didn't call Correa up right away.

Nobody playing DH or 1b for the Astros is Reed level. As long as Reed hits he'll be up after Super 2; maybe an injury brings him up sooner. Astros were more expected to compete this year than last.

I'm more worried of a possible injury to Reed delaying his call up than anything else.

3 out of the last 4 games 0 hits now batting Reed's batting avg is .227 . What is going on with our guy Reed?

OPS of .836 in first 11 AAA games. He is doing fine.

don't forget about his OBP a whopping .314. His career is at .409

It's 11 games bro.

3 out of the last 4 games 0 hits now batting Reed's batting avg is .227 . What is going on with our guy Reed?

OPS of .836 in first 11 AAA games. He is doing fine.

don't forget about his OBP a whopping .314. His career is at .409

It's 11 games bro.

explain

Rotoballer seems to think he's up mid-May.

they think everybody will be up in mid-May ....

You saying his OBP was underachieving his career mark. walk rate and OBP take a bit to normalize.

A path was created by the Astros when they dealt Carter and did NOTHING to fill 1B. That was by design for Reed.

There's a lot of roads that get Reed a call, but I don't know that the status quo is one of them. If White struggles, Reed has a door (assuming he himself improves). Same with Gattis struggling or getting hurt. Or perhaps they move White back to 3B or Gattis to C, both of which take time and are rarely done at the MLB level in late April.

I think Reed stays down until/if White comes back to earth and Reed starts hitting like he's capable. That could be mid-May or it could be a while. First Reed needs to show the BA/OBP consistency that has been the hallmark of his prospect status rising, then the conversations about making room start to increase.

Reed has 3 homers, 10 RBI over his last 10 games. He IS hitting like he's capable. As for Reed's walk rate, I think Fangraphs' claim is that walk rate doesn't stabilize for 120 plate appearances. We're at 44 plate appearances. I doubt the Astros are concerned. If his OBP is still .315 in two or three weeks, then you could see them being a little more patient. Also, his K rate and BB rate are identical to what he did last year. The difference is a BABIP of .227 right now.

And for what it's worth, White over the last 10 is batting .212 with two homers, 4 RBI and 12 strikeouts (now striking out at a 28 percent rate). It's not that crazy of an idea that White and Reed end up switching locations at some point. It does not seem likely that White would be moved to third base because he hasn't proven to be any good there.

But I don't think the Gattis catching, at least part time, is that unrealistic.

The Astros are putting themselves in a pretty deep hole. They are going to have to do something soon. Their pitching is the main cause though, so trying to spark their offense by calling up Reed probably isn't the most probable thing, right?

Hes not exactly forcing the issue right now. If he was raking, I think there would be more pressure on them to bring him. Unfortunately hes barely above the mendoza line at the moment.

Probably effects his ability to be called up soon (prior to Super 2), but I'm not worried that he won't be up in due time.

I doubt he will be much of a contributor this season. Most likely scenario is he will hit at the bottom of the order and be platooned. Not much value there.

I doubt he will be much of a contributor this season. Most likely scenario is he will hit at the bottom of the order and be platooned. Not much value there.

LOL based on what?

LOL based on what?

What is the most likely scenario then?

Edit: I will say this. I play in a season points leagues where being platooned at the bottom of the order is not much value other than a bench player. In rotisserie leagues he might have more value.

LOL based on what?

Edit: I will say this. I play in a season points leagues where being platooned at the bottom of the order is not much value other than a bench player. In rotisserie leagues he might have more value.

Then you probably shouldn't make blanket statements of value if you're only including your non-standard league.

He should hit for power, decent average, and RBIs.

There's little reason why he can't be the 5th hitter this year and 4th if someone gets hurt. He's probably going to bat about 7th to start.

LOL based on what?

I think the most likely scenario is that it quickly becomes apparent that Reed is simply a superior bat and glove at 1st than White.

As things progress I foresee White and Gattis struggling to get ABs with Reed playing full time and hitting in the 5 or 6 spot.

Its not here yet, but its coming.

that's a good article. points out a couple reassuring things for reed people who are depressed about his slow start:

* he got off to a slow start last year too, even in lancaster

* AAA pitchers aren't throwing him any fastballs at all, so he's having to adjust to that

BB%, K% and ISO are all where you want them. His BABIP is .206. There's the difference.

that's a good article. points out a couple reassuring things for reed people who are depressed about his slow start:

* he got off to a slow start last year too, even in lancaster

* AAA pitchers aren't throwing him any fastballs at all, so he's having to adjust to that

This is why AAA time is valuable.

At AA you get to prove you can hit premium stuff.

At AAA you learn how to face crafty pitchers that actually pitch and sequence albeit with lesser ability than what you'll face at the MLB level.