tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

We know Reed has power. If there was any question, I guess it was about his K%. So far he's gone from AA to AAA and the K% has gone down, the BB% up. K% is less than 20% in AAA. There is nothing to worry about right now for the Astros except starting his clock.

But how is that a consideration right now when they are floundering.

• Like 1

Maybe he gets the call Monday when they're back home against Minnesota. Would give him a chance to start his MLB career at home and against a RH pitcher (Berrios) as opposed to if they called him up tomorrow he'd have to face a tough LHP (Rich Hill).

Just speculating, but given how dire their situation is I don't see how they can afford to wait much longer unless they've already given up on competing this year (which I highly doubt).

Maybe he gets the call Monday when they're back home against Minnesota. Would give him a chance to start his MLB career at home and against a RH pitcher (Berrios) as opposed to if they called him up tomorrow he'd have to face a tough LHP (Rich Hill).

Just speculating, but given how dire their situation is I don't see how they can afford to wait much longer unless they've already given up on competing this year (which I highly doubt).

Don't know about Monday, but it will be soon. White has cooled off considerably, might as well bring Reed up and see what he can do.

• Like 1

Anyone know if he has any split issues? Fangraphs doesn't show splits in minors. Wondering if he'll get babied and sit v. Some/many LHP once he gets the call.

Anyone know if he has any split issues? Fangraphs doesn't show splits in minors. Wondering if he'll get babied and sit v. Some/many LHP once he gets the call.

He's currently batting .235 with 1 home run (17 at bats) vs. lefties compared to .268 with 4 homers in 56 at bats.

He's a career .238 hitter against lefties in the minors in 206 at bats. He has 13 homers against them. Last year in advanced A ball he batted .303 against them with 6 homers in 66 at bats. Have a feeling he will struggle at first against them but will eventually adjust and improve as he gets used to the majors.

• Like 1

OK so the consensus is that Reed will be called about somewhere around the beginning of June?

To play where? White is mashing, Gattis will be in the line up. They need a spot for him first

They want Gattis at catcher so they can play both Reed/White 1b/DH

two weeks and Gattis hasn't caught an inning

Reed hasn't been hitting well unfortunately.. Wish he was

I mean the bar is obviously really high for Reed, but he actually has been hittiing the ball pretty well

If the Astros want to save their season they might need to consider bringing up AJ and Bregman in the next few weeks. This has been a bad Astros club since last June, it isn't a fluke anymore.

i own him and want him to get called up as bad as the rest of you do, but it'd be a bit of a hail mary to figure that he's going to help the astros considering that he's hitting .250 in the PCL right now.

is this worrying? no. he looks fine. we saw that article a while back pointing out that the AAA pitchers aren't giving him any fastballs to hit. his ISO and walk rate are both higher than they were in AA last year. he's just missing some singles. probably just needs time to retool his approach to deal with the way advanced pitchers are going to attack him. but whether or not he'd hit better than marwin gonzalez, or even better than a slumping tyler white, in the majors right now is an open question. given that, they may not decide to tamper with the plan by promoting him.

i probably wouldn't, if i was them. but who knows how much pressure the decision-makers are under and how they'll respond to it.

I don't think he's going to fix much in Houston unless he starts pitching...that's the glaring issue at the moment. Sure he's an upgrade over White, but I don't think that's Houston's problem

To biggie back, Reed isn't going to make the Astros better by himself. They have a -36 runs differential right now for God's sake. Better wait to have momentum and some players coming around before bringing him up.

i own him and want him to get called up as bad as the rest of you do, but it'd be a bit of a hail mary to figure that he's going to help the astros considering that he's hitting .250 in the PCL right now.

is this worrying? no. he looks fine. we saw that article a while back pointing out that the AAA pitchers aren't giving him any fastballs to hit. his ISO and walk rate are both higher than they were in AA last year. he's just missing some singles. probably just needs time to retool his approach to deal with the way advanced pitchers are going to attack him. but whether or not he'd hit better than marwin gonzalez, or even better than a slumping tyler white, in the majors right now is an open question. given that, they may not decide to tamper with the plan by promoting him.

i probably wouldn't, if i was them. but who knows how much pressure the decision-makers are under and how they'll respond to it

His batting average just isn't relevant (he's not going to be a .300 hitter anyway and his .260 BABIP so far shows a little bit of bad luck). The OPS is near .900.

That said, I think another month or two of at-bats at Triple-A would be good for his development but I'd love to be in on the discussions the Astros are having on this.

If White continues to nose-dive and Reed hits another 5 homers in May, then he's got to be up by June.

Reed is better than White and that's all that should matter for the Astros really.

• Like 1

Reed is better than White and that's all that should matter for the Astros really.

So much better than White. Reed is a beast.

I don't think he's going to fix much in Houston unless he starts pitching...that's the glaring issue at the moment. Sure he's an upgrade over White, but I don't think that's Houston's problem

After his hot start the first 9 games,

White is hitting .089 in his last 16 games. ... meanwhile he is doing the bulk of that from the 5 spot.

That's going to be detrimental to a team.

Astros are 29th of 30 in batting average at a putrid .225 Avg... a power hitting 1B would have plenty positive impact. Especially for a lineup starved for a quality left handed bat.

Edited by StevieStats

Stash time?

draft was stash time. If he is still there count your lucky stars and nab him.
  • Like 1

Stash time?

In fairness, I'm in a some shallow leagues with a shallow benches where he isn't owned.

• Like 1

Stash time?

In fairness, I'm in a some shallow leagues with a shallow benches where he isn't owned.

That's true, there are some leagues with short benches.

Normally for those questions I answer for the standard league unless specified.

But even in the shallow leagues, this may be stash time of you can afford it. However, I still think the Astros might be dug into Super 2 at this point, with 80% certainty IMO

Can the 'stros really afford another month of sub-mediocre hitting from the 5-9 spots in their lineup? Could dig themselves into a pretty significant hole by then, especially if McCullers is delayed again.

The argument that that I've heard of the Astros not needing hitting because pitching is bad is flawed. If you're pitching is bad, wouldn't it mean you need to score more runs to win? You try to improve at all times no matter how good you are hitting, pitching, defense etc.

There is no doubt he is an upgrade. Hopefully it won't be long,

• Like 1

"As of this writing, Astros designated hitters are not making good on their positional title, batting a combined .195/.268/.345. Their first baseman are not doing much better, hitting .204/.259/.408. These offense-first positions have generated 14 runs, 7 home runs, and 21 RBI in 205 PA for the Astros. And, believe it or not, these numbers may actually diminish the dismal production the team has received. Tyler White hit .667 with 3 HR and 9 RBI in his first five games; since then, he's batting .125/.209/.243 with 2 HR and 5 RBI - that's a twenty game stretch of well below replacement-level production."

http://www.faketeams.com/2016/5/4/11593834/waiting-not-so-patiently-for-a-j-reed?utm_campaign=faketeams&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

• Like 1