Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

He will be up this month...

The only issue is that with each passing day, it becomes more and more sensical to wait until Super-2. I am incredibly sensitive to the argument that the Astros could easily lose a game or 2 between now and June 8 which could be the difference by the end of the year. I just know that this is a team that wants to balance the long and short term to allow them to maximize their window.

The only issue is that with each passing day, it becomes more and more sensical to wait until Super-2. I am incredibly sensitive to the argument that the Astros could easily lose a game or 2 between now and June 8 which could be the difference by the end of the year. I just know that this is a team that wants to balance the long and short term to allow them to maximize their window.

But if he can help the team a full month longer this year, it may get them in the playoffs... if you dont promote him you might be shutting the window on this season, so getting 1 more year at the end (when you may not even be competitive) may not lengthen your window at all. Also this assumes he leaves at a FA his first shot with no replacement.

Teams are going over board with "control", they are losing focus on the goal of winning games. This team isn't the Twins, they have a shot this year.

But if he can help the team a full month longer this year, it may get them in the playoffs... if you dont promote him you might be shutting the window on this season, so getting 1 more year at the end (when you may not even be competitive) may not lengthen your window at all. Also this assumes he leaves at a FA his first shot with no replacement.

Teams are going over board with "control", they are losing focus on the goal of winning games. This team isn't the Twins, they have a shot this year.

yes. this 100%.

I completely agree, but its reality, so I as a fantasy player I try to focus on what is as opposed to what should be. I'd have had Reed up at season's start after clearly winning the spring competition, but once he got sent down... I pretty much knew it was going to be June 8 before we saw him again.

I hope I'm wrong... I just doubt it.

^ I agreed.

However, if the front office was split on the decision, someone with power could force the issue under pressure of they wanted...

However, small chance of that.

But he isn't hitting all that well in AAA. What makes you think he will hit well in MLB?

But he isn't hitting all that well in AAA. What makes you think he will hit well in MLB?

hitting .244 with plenty of walks and 9 HRs? C'mon bro. Yeah, his avg could be better, but he's not getting a single fastball from AAA pitchers.

hitting .244 with plenty of walks and 9 HRs? C'mon bro. Yeah, his avg could be better, but he's not getting a single fastball from AAA pitchers.

He has 6 home runs. He is still doing well enough that it isn't going to stop them from bringing him up soon and putting him in a nice spot in the lineup to do damage. He is coming...

He has 6 home runs. He is still doing well enough that it isn't going to stop them from bringing him up soon and putting him in a nice spot in the lineup to do damage. He is coming...

Upside down 9, close enough :lol: I still think Moran might be up before him, but June 1st is my prediction...although I'll be ecstatic if it's before then.

I get the Super 2 status being a roadblock. However, there have been several cases in recent past where a long term deal is done to buy out the arbitration years making the Super 2 a moot point. Reed seems like one of those players that could obtain a long term deal. On the other side of things...be patient...let him mature in the minors...don't rush him...see how he can handle a slump...ect. I can see both sides of the argument here when Houston has suitable options to fill the gaps.

He'll be called up around the time Correa was called up. Why would they rush him when they didn't Correa? I think they are gunning for the playoffs this year still but dem nerds love to optimize their projected output.

Around June 10th.

Because their situation last year was very different from their situation this year? What they did with Correa has nothing to do with what they'll do with Reed.

He'll be called up around the time Correa was called up. Why would they rush him when they didn't Correa? I think they are gunning for the playoffs this year still but dem nerds love to optimize their projected output.

Around June 10th.

Yeah sir, I have to agree with Absknicks. You have absolutely no idea what the hell your talking about.

Sorry....just saying

Around June 10th.

Yeah sir, I have to agree with Absknicks. You have absolutely no idea what the hell your talking about.

Sorry....just saying

that's a little harsh. what he said makes a decent amount of sense.

Because their situation last year was very different from their situation this year? What they did with Correa has nothing to do with what they'll do with Reed.

The difference in situation is the Astros purging has sucked this year and they got off to a great start last year with an ERA of 3.04 in April.

Their offensive stats this year are almost identical to last season.

Unfortunately, the Astros are probably leaning toward waiting to June and how they handled Correa might be a good sign of what they'll do with Reed.

The difference in situation is the Astros purging has sucked this year and they got off to a great start last year with an ERA of 3.04 in April.

Unfortunately, the Astros are probably leaning toward waiting to June and how they handled Correa might be a good sign of what they'll do with Reed.

If their offensive stats aren't as good as they could potentially be due to their top hitting prospect sitting in AAA... and they're losing games left and right... what does it matter that their offensive stats are identical to last season?

If your team stinks and you can upgrade from within, you do so. Simple as that.

They're not just underachieving a little bit. This season is going in the toilet rather quickly for them. I'd imagine if they were a game or two under .500, they'd be more apt to bring him up. There pitching has been atrocious. When Scott Feldman is pitching like the ace of the staff, that's not a good thing. Reed will not solve that. Until the pitching takes a turn for the better, I think it's smart to wait on Reed and get an extra year. They won't leave him down there all season. Like others have mentioned, it'll be mid June.

If their offensive stats aren't as good as they could potentially be due to their top hitting prospect sitting in AAA... and they're losing games left and right... what does it matter that their offensive stats are identical to last season?

If your team stinks and you can upgrade from within, you do so. Simple as that.

I wish it was as simple as that.

Point was it's absolutely comical to suggest that because their offensive numbers are identical to last year that it wouldn't be worth upgrading their lineup in 2016.

"Hey we've got this kid who mashes at AAA... but turns out our OPS+ is actually right in line with 2015 so why bother?"

Seriously? That's one of the craziest takes I've seen on here.

Point was it's absolutely comical to suggest that because their offensive numbers are identical to last year that it wouldn't be worth upgrading their lineup in 2016.

"Hey we've got this kid who mashes at AAA... but turns out our OPS+ is actually right in line with 2015 so why bother?"

Seriously? That's one of the craziest takes I've seen on here.

Look dude. If I was running the team, I'd have brought him up two weeks into the season. But I don't.

Drop the attitude.

If you don't understand that teams wait on things like Super 2, I don't know what to tell ya.

My point was, since it went over your head, that the main reason they're struggling is pitching. At least that's how Astros management is probably looking at it.

Just own up to your bad take, dude. Happens to the best of us.

btw before we discuss the possibility of Reed coming up maybe we should take a gander at the Astros 2012 offensive statistics while we're at it. Could be salient in determining whether or not it's worth calling him up, imo

Just own up to your bad take, dude. Happens to the best of us.

btw before we discuss the possibility of Reed coming up maybe we should take a gander at the Astros 2012 offensive statistics while we're at it. Could be salient in determining whether or not it's worth calling him up, imo

I didnt have a bad take. Grow up.

The reason last year with Correa may foreshadow Reeds call up is it shows here committed to waiting until after the super 2 deadline as a general philosophy. Maybe they'll change their mind. But my bet would be that they stick with they stick with their organizational philosophy on this. I don't think anyone is worried that Seattle runs away with the division in May.