tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

rotoworld's saying 2-3 weeks. gotta assume he's 100% down until after super-2 now.

this might be getting too "bench-coachy", but i think if you're in a redraft league and you need the roster spot, you can feel ok with dropping him.

Drop now?

If someone held him so far, I don't think should drop him now that Super 2 is coming...

It's not like it really delayed his call-up, he wasn't gonna be called before June anyway.

rotoworld's saying 2-3 weeks. gotta assume he's 100% down until after super-2 now.

this might be getting too "bench-coachy", but i think if you're in a redraft league and you need the roster spot, you can feel ok with dropping him.

Drop now?

If someone held him so far, I don't think should drop him now that Super 2 is coming...

It's not like it really delayed his call-up, he wasn't gonna be called before June anyway.

It is likely going to delay his arrival. Now he misses 2-3 weeks, then has to come back and actually hit before a call-up. This probably pushes him back to late June unless there is an injury at the MLB level.

I do think AJ Reed is good but do you think last year was a fluke? His BABIP was high last year and I know the BABIP argument has been discussed but i wonder if he may not be the masher we thought he was.

Edit - this year is a small sample size so I'm not concerned with that but more so seeing some of the numbers has me second guessing

Edited by Under500Forever

Having second thoughts on this guy. Everyone said was best hitter pre season .... He hasn't shown anything

Ugh. Frustrating. But was planning on Super 2 anyway. Hope this is minor.

Having second thoughts on this guy. Everyone said was best hitter pre season .... He hasn't shown anything

First time in AAA:

6 HR

Raised BB% vs AA '15

Strikeout rate not too much higher than AA '15.

Higher BB/K than '15 AA

.229 ISO.

.790 OPS

.243 BABIP

I'm not displeased with how he's adjusting. I'm holding him for the season and maybe career. See you in June slugger!

He did struggle in April last year and then he went on a major tear. It was mentioned in this thread but I did read a few articles saying he was a bit frustrated because he doesn't get any fastballs to hit. Obviously they aren't supposed to make it easy on him so he has to adjust.

I'm telling you in seeing him hit multiple times this year he does not look right against AAA pitchers . He is behind ... Not getting hard contact . Not good for the most hyped hitter in all MLB. People crowned him when the guy was hitting A and AA ball. Give me a break . Right now he needs to make a change.

It depends on the type of league you're in, your 1B options, if you can stash him on NA, etc. He has no one blocking him at 1B, so he has a clear path in a fantastic lineup where he'll likely see plenty of meaty pitches. As long as he's not costing you a chance to be competitive, I'd continue to roster him where feasible. There really aren't too many 1B prospects out there that can be difference makers in the near future (Josh Bell possibly but that's about it).

Here's what Sam Dykstra at MiLB.com had to say about him yesterday:

"The Astros' No. 2 prospect is hitting just .223 over his first 27 games in the PCL, one year after he hit .340 at two levels in his breakout first full season in the Houston system. The peripherals, however, are much rosier. His 20.8 strikeout rate is almost identical to his numbers at Double-A (20.7) in 2015, while his walk rate has jumped from 11.4 to 13.3, leading to a more respectable .325 OBP. What's more, he's still bringing some decent power with six homers and a .233 ISO. The whole package has resulted in an above-average 111 wRC+, despite the low average that is hurt by a .233 BABIP, a number that should rebound as the summer progresses. If you need more convincing: Reed hit just .208 during the first month of the 2015 campaign with Class A Advanced Lancaster, and that was with a much more helpful .261 BABIP. You know how that ended, so Reed should be fine."

People crowned him when the guy was hitting A and AA ball. Give me a break .

The biggest transition is from A to AA not AA to AAA.

He is making you out to be a liar . His bat speed is skeptical .

lol, what?

I don't think that is his problem is the talent. The Average velocity in AAA isn't higher than AA, the breaking balls don't break more in AAA than AA.

What makes AAA sometimes a hard transition is that AA is a bunch of throwers, while AAA is a bunch of pitchers. They have MLB savy/sequencing. Which would explain an issue with weaker contact/not getting ahead in the count enough.. He is getting fooled somewhat. He's have a bit of an adjustment period. Yet still managed 12 XBH and solid K/BB numbers thus far.

I think it would be foolish to assume he's not capable of making his own adjustments and acclimating himself to the style of pitching that AAA pitchers offer.

The Bat speed question has been around for awhile..yet guys with major issues on bat speed would start showing flaws once they got up to AA. I've heard the bat speed issue before on Kris Bryant and Jose Abreu.. So color me a skeptic on it being a complete detriment if you got the right swing, with Power

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

What lie?

Brock, Doink has Dink distracting you, don't fall for it,ignore him.

• Like 2

The news on him will be stagnant until he returns from his hamstring injury. His last game played was on May 10th, so it will likely take several more weeks.

Dude is turning into the biggest prospect bust of 2016. Have a feeling he will be useless this season.

Dude is turning into the biggest prospect bust of 2016. Have a feeling he will be useless this season.

Jon Singleton all over again? I had such high hopes for the Astros coming into this season.

Reed will be a beast. Might just be a bit later than most expected.

Pulled hammy = biggest bust of the year

Only on rotoworld.....

• Like 8