tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Getting shutout by a loser. How much longer are they going to run the same garbage lineup out before making some moves?

What exactly is Reed showing right now you that makes you think he'll be any better than what's currently up in the big leagues?

The DH position has put up a .593 OPS for the Astros this year. So if you think Reed can beat that then he is an improvement.

Getting shutout by a loser. How much longer are they going to run the same garbage lineup out before making some moves?

What exactly is Reed showing right now you that makes you think he'll be any better than what's currently up in the big leagues?

Not everyone who gets called up is straight line raking. What % of his .230 average is due to bad luck? What % is poor approach? Sometimes you can have a good approach and just not have the luck in small samples. Joe Panik has a 1:1 k:bob his approach is elite but he's hitting .240. These are the questions for people who follow these guys on a daily basis. I have no doubt that Reed is better than half the guys Houston throws out though. They had 7 bats today sub .250 in the lineup.

• Like 1

The DH position has put up a .593 OPS for the Astros this year. So if you think Reed can beat that then he is an improvement.

Gattis is the main DH now, and he is better than Reed, ATM. Gattis has a .745 OPS for the year and 1.039 in the 10 games since being called back up. So, no, Reed probably won't do better than that. Your better argument is for 1B and DH when Gattis catches once or twice a week, but that will have to wait until after super 2

Edited by bosoxken

Gattis is the main DH now, and he is better than Reed, ATM. Gattis has a .745 OPS for the year and 1.039 in the 10 games since being called back up. So, no, Reed probably won't do better than that. Your better argument is for 1B and DH when Gattis catches once or twice a week, but that will have to wait until after super 2

While I agree Reed will play 1b, not DH, a .1039 OPS for Gattis over the last 10 games is pretty meaningless. Gattis best OPS season is .810, he's clearly hot right now.

My point was that the .593 OPS was not a true reflection, because much of it was without Gattis in the lineup. His current .745 OPS is more reflective of their true OPS. He only DH'd 28 of their 49 games

Edited by bosoxken

My point was that the .593 OPS was not a true reflection, because much of it was without Gattis in the lineup. His current .745 OPS is more reflective of their true OPS. He only DH'd 28 of their 49 games

That's fine, and I agree, a .593 is not an accurate depiction of the Astros future DH OPS without Reed. You did say " Gattis has a .745 OPS for the year and 1.039 in the 10 games since being called back up. So, no, Reed probably won't do better than that. " I''m not sure how to interpret that . I do think Reed can do better than that unless you mean a 1.039 OPS int he majors for the rest of the season which I dont think he or Gattis will do.

That's fine, and I agree, a .593 is not an accurate depiction of the Astros future DH OPS without Reed. You did say " Gattis has a .745 OPS for the year and 1.039 in the 10 games since being called back up. So, no, Reed probably won't do better than that. " I''m not sure how to interpret that . I do think Reed can do better than that unless you mean a 1.039 OPS int he majors for the rest of the season which I dont think he or Gattis will do.

I think we agree Reed should come up and be the primary 1B. I do believe he is better than what is there now. Whether he or Gattis will be better the rest of this year is debatable. I would give Gattis the edge, because of experience vs a rookie. I would take Reed over White/Gonzalez right now

The drama about how bad he has been is so overblown.

Sure, he hasn't been a monster, but his numbers in a small sample size is not a disaster. If someone dropped him in a league I would be all over him.

.799 OPS at the moment, albeit in only 29 games. Still pretty underwhelming though, especially for PCL.

I still have high hopes. The Astros have wayyy too much Tyler White and Marwin Gonzalez going on. This guy should slot in as a classic #4 hitter, and should have metric buttloads of RBI opportunities. All logic suggests the Reed Plane is landing soon.

The PCL myth is pretty overt blown.

Only 7 parks have a positive park factor for runs, 11 are negative. One of the 7 above is at 1.006, so only 6 of 18 are really hitter friendly by runs. Really only a couple stadiums that are crazy. Alberque NM is nutty.

Reed plays in a slightly negative, but neutral field in Fresno.

http://m.milb.com/news/article/2014020366858162

Well where did Brett Fortyhands Lawrie play because he hit like a Greek God there?

Rapidly Losing interest for this season. And losing trade value in my league.

• Like 1

I'm not worried, although a little disappointed. Keep in mind Correa got the call after hitting 3 HR, .276 AVG, .794 OPS in 24 Games (after he already got warmed up in AA).

In 35 Games, Reed has 6 HR, .244 AVG, .806 OPS.

So 32 points lower in average, at this point can be resolved in a game or two. But better power numbers, as expected.

Should get people to relax a little bit.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1

For some reason, I don't think he will be up until September. I think they will eventually call up Singleton first and see how he does.

For some reason, I don't think he will be up until September. I think they will eventually call up Singleton first and see how he does.

GTFO. I kid. Do you really think they'll play around like that?

LOL everyone knows what Singleton is already... a Quad A player at best.

LOL everyone knows what Singleton is already... a Quad A player at best.

Singleton is only 24 he's still a bit young to be called a Quad A player.

• Like 1

The drama about how bad he has been is so overblown.

Sure, he hasn't been a monster, but his numbers in a small sample size is not a disaster. If someone dropped him in a league I would be all over him.

.799 OPS at the moment, albeit in only 29 games. Still pretty underwhelming though, especially for PCL.

I still have high hopes. The Astros have wayyy too much Tyler White and Marwin Gonzalez going on. This guy should slot in as a classic #4 hitter, and should have metric buttloads of RBI opportunities. All logic suggests the Reed Plane is landing soon.

The PCL myth is pretty overt blown.

Only 7 parks have a positive park factor for runs, 11 are negative. One of the 7 above is at 1.006, so only 6 of 18 are really hitter friendly by runs. Really only a couple stadiums that are crazy. Alberque NM is nutty.

Reed plays in a slightly negative, but neutral field in Fresno.

http://m.milb.com/news/article/2014020366858162

Those numbers are misleading. Park Factors are calculated in relation to the rest of the league, which means they are compared to an average PCL park, not to an average park. You're saying that a park is neutral because it's about average when compared to the other parks in a league where the average OPS is .778

So has it been made clear that Super 2 isn't a factor here as much as him being ready? Jw when I should pounce. If Super 2, I may have to scoop him up asap but someone mentioned September here........

So has it been made clear that Super 2 isn't a factor here as much as him being ready? Jw when I should pounce. If Super 2, I may have to scoop him up asap but someone mentioned September here........

September!? that would be nonsensical. this Astros team has the talent to make a title run, but they need to start winning now. A power guy like Reed hitting cleanup will give their lineup a huge boost. I envision him hitting 4th behind Springer/Altuve/Correa... oh yes... that Mr. Burns face above is most appropriate!