tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

He's got stupid power but doesn't he play in an extremely hitter friendly park?

Hitter friendly Park and a ton of length in his swing. Not too excited in the profile overall imo. Not my type of guy

Hitter friendly park? Have you been to Minute Maid? I guess I see him as a prospect that can get to the big leagues quick and get plugged in at DH or 1B in 2016 at some point. The book on Goldschmidt was "long swing", too. That was trumpeted so loudly, I dropped him after his first taste of the bigs, expecting him to be a two-outcome hitter. Bryant has a "long swing" too, but he has excellent pitch recognition and knows the strike zone fairly well. Reed's walk/strikeout ratio stands out, IMO. He knows how to hit and punishes mistakes.

I guess that's the joy in prospecting. I think he's going to outperform expectations. Others, not so much. It'll be fun to watch which direction he heads in.

I've been to minute maid park and when I got there Chris carter and Jon singleton struck out 50% of the time. Sorry I couldn't resist, total smart arse comment :-p

Tbh reeds profile is exactly what I look for, I would love to own him, objectively speaking, Jon singleton had a similar profile.

Still always worth the risk with players of this profile, no idea why someone would shy away from this kind of upside.

Edited by agk47

Another HR and 2 RBI tonight. Hasn't skipped a beat leaving Lancaster.

• Like 1

Any chance at all he gets a cup of coffee this year? I doubt it, just thought I would see if you guys thought there is a chance.

If the Astros feel like he can contribute for a playoff run and be better than what they are throwing out there between Carter, Singleton, Gattis at 1b/DH I don't think they will hesitate to give him a shot at least in a platoon roll to make everyone happy. He has to continue to mash which I don't think will stop.

Anyone else see this guy passing for a young Randy Quaid? Nickname, "Cousin Eddie"

607223.jpg

Edited by tm30

A.J. Reed is the man. Now that he's focusing solely on hitting he is unstoppable. He was a pitcher / hitter in college.

• Like 1

Steve (New orleans): Now that A.J. Reed has proven himself in AA, how high will he rise for next year's prospect list? What's his ceiling as a hitter? Thanks!

Ben Badler: Hell be very, very high on my list. He hits everywhere he goes, draws a ton of walks and has enormous power that isnt just Lancaster magic. I think its Joey Votto, Paul Goldschmidt type upside.

I honestly think this guy is going to be a top 10 prospect next year. I doubt he'll crack the lists in the top 20, but he will continue to improve and rise up the ranks.

Any rumors of him getting called up? My buddy says he's a 110% sure he will. I just don't see him making the jump. They still got Carter, Gattis, and Singleton. Not that they are anything great but why start the clock?

I agree with your buddy in theory; talk of him coming up wouldn't be an option had they been a sub 500 team; however, the fact that they have a chance to win now changes everything. Might see a cup of coffee on September 1st. As some have mentioned McCullers was a bit of a surprise, Velázquez more so.

Any rumors of him getting called up? My buddy says he's a 110% sure he will. I just don't see him making the jump. They still got Carter, Gattis, and Singleton. Not that they are anything great but why start the clock?

Gattis is the Astros DH. Carter is hitting .182 and has given the Astros no reason to believe he will turn it around. Singleton has been the classic example of a AAAA player: He has dominated minor league pitching but has struggled mightily in the majors. Luis Valbuena & Marwin Gonzalez have both gotten their share of starts at 1B for the Astros recently and both are easily replaceable. The Astros are in the playoff race and have been weak at 1B all year and A.J. Reed could strengthen the position for them. I'm surprised the Astros haven't called up Reed already.