tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

So has it been made clear that Super 2 isn't a factor here as much as him being ready? Jw when I should pounce. If Super 2, I may have to scoop him up asap but someone mentioned September here........

Everyone is attempting to make guesses about scenarios that are not straightforward. No one knows when he is getting called up. Some people have guessed Super-2 if playing well, but there are probably a dozen factors at play here.

If you want to make sure you get him, you probably need to stash soon. If you are more concerned with the roster spot, then wait for him to get hot. Both scenarios present risk of different kinds and will require you to make a league-specific judgment call.

• Like 1

Astros 1B and DH combo batting 7th and 8th today vs a RHP. You aren't going to be a contender in the AL with that going on.

Can't wait.

A big fat 0 for 5 yesterday. Hitting .121 vs LHP as of a few days ago as well. Rumor has it the Astros don't want to stunt his development in that area. Am I the only one that doesn't see a call up anytime soon? I stashed him in redraft but I'm struggling to hold on.

A big fat 0 for 5 yesterday. Hitting .121 vs LHP as of a few days ago as well. Rumor has it the Astros don't want to stunt his development in that area. Am I the only one that doesn't see a call up anytime soon? I stashed him in redraft but I'm struggling to hold on.

Interesting. I knew it wasn't great, but didn't realize it was that bad. I really hope this isn't Matt Adams with a better walk rate.

After rasmsu and his .230 and. It only gets worst

White .223

Gonzalez .220

Villebuena .218

Castro .208

Marisnick .183

Can he do any worst?

After rasmsu and his .230 and. It only gets worst

White .223

Gonzalez .220

Villebuena .218

Castro .208

Marisnick .183

Can he do any worst?

Here's where it gets complicated for an MLB team. Is he better than White now? Highly likely. But he's also showing to be a platoon option. So do you leave him down to figure out LHP at a lower level or call him up and just start him vs RHP? It would be really hard for me to label a guy a platoon bat before arriving, but right now he isn't even putting up competitive at bats vs lower level lefties. Exposing to big league lefties is running a slippery slope.

Interesting. I knew it wasn't great, but didn't realize it was that bad. I really hope this isn't Matt Adams with a better walk rate.

Matt Adams has a .930 OPS this year, but I get what you're saying.

only 46 pa

did hit pretty well last year but A and AA is alot different than MLB lhp

271/362/512 over 152 pa

Didn't realize his AVG vs LHP. Yikes.

I know he is 23 and he is struggling at a new level but I am somewhat concerned. He has power but was last year a bit of a fluke? I had high hopes coming into the season but it's been a disappointment so far. Maybe he should put those 20lbs he lost back on and maybe he will get his stroke back. Get fat again AJ!

I know he is 23 and he is struggling at a new level but I am somewhat concerned. He has power but was last year a bit of a fluke? I had high hopes coming into the season but it's been a disappointment so far. Maybe he should put those 20lbs he lost back on and maybe he will get his stroke back. Get fat again AJ!

Do not fear. Remember he is now coming back from. A hammy pull. This guy is a BEAST.

Him not hitting lefties worries me . At the beginning of the season EVERYONE on here said he was a top 3 prospect . Dude doesn't look anywhere close to that .

Do not fear. Remember he is now coming back from. A hammy pull. This guy is a BEAST.

A beast? Hyperbole running rampant. He's simply not progressed as would a beast.

this is like the giolito thread from a month ago. giolito has and always was a stud pitching prospect and reed has and always will be a stud hitting prospect. a little adversity in a small sample size at a new level doesnt change that.

this is like the giolito thread from a month ago. giolito has and always was a stud pitching prospect and reed has and always will be a stud hitting prospect. a little adversity in a small sample size at a new level doesnt change that.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but last year was when Reed became a household name. I don't recall seeing him on many top prospect lists until the middle of last season. Giolito on the other hand I've heard hyped up for a very long time. I do see the parallel in that I have no huge concerns about Reed.

Edited by bigpapi88

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but last year was when Reed became a household name. I don't recall seeing him on many top prospect lists until the middle of last season. Giolito on the other hand I've heard hyped up for a very long time. I do see the parallel in that I have no huge concerns about Reed.

True, but important to remember that prospect lists are about tools. Things like baserunning and defense are also weighed. Who's the last top prospect who was 1B? I honestly don't remember. But Goldschmidt was famously absent from many, and Keith Law thought he'd be a platoon bat because of concerns hitting LHP. So really hard to compare.

• Like 2

I think the year before he was drafted and only had 1/2 a season in the minors and beasted. And that's coming from college where he won the Golden Spikes Award, which is the beast of the beast award.

So yes, he's always mashed since we can remember.

• Like 1

2014: Baseball America College Player of the Year (http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-player-of-the-year-kentuckys-reed-starred-at-plate-on-mound/), Also was his draft year, and he had a very good pro debut after that.

2015: Runner up for Baseball America Player of the Year to Blake Snell (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/reeds-stats-squelch-big-body-stereotypes/). Obviously he had a very successful year as well.

2016: This year. Slow start. Also hurt.

Its a little different when you are drafted out of HS in regards to pedigree but Reed has done nothing but look good since at least his draft year.

• Like 3

At this point I'm not sure why the Astros wouldn't bring up Singleton instead if they need to try and add some pop. Especially since they are paying him millions already and the two are putting up similar counting stats with Reed higher in OBP. Some times it take a while for a hitter or even a pitcher to figure things out. Singleton is only 24. Reed is only 23. Because I don't think he will be up soon enough to help me this year (was counting on May), I did put him in a deal in a traded for Miggy. Not too big a loss since I got him in the $15 reserve round. I picked up the Astro's Derek Fisher this year and he's at Corpus Crispy. He's a player you guys should keep an eye on. Some pop and steals potential, an OFer and having a pretty decent season already at 10/10.

Singleton makes only $2 MM per year. His big money 4 years from now are team options, not locked into anything.

Singleton still has the same issues that caused him to fall flat on his face twice, in 2014 and 2015. That's why White is up over him.