tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, jb_power said:

I think there's a good chance they recall Reed and send down Bregman.

 

Not sure about Bregman, but they are recalling Reed:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stashed Reed all season in three leagues only to watch him struggle and get demoted. I'm torn now - miss out when he does go nuts or cut Yulieski Gurriel for him. 

 

Man that Astros farm system is dynamite.

 

doubt they send down Bregman anytime soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thebear said:

Stashed Reed all season in three leagues only to watch him struggle and get demoted. I'm torn now - miss out when he does go nuts or cut Yulieski Gurriel for him. 

 

Man that Astros farm system is dynamite.

 

doubt they send down Bregman anytime soon

 

Bregman is not doing well at all... They should send him down immediately before he's unable to resharpen his approach and confidence against minor league pitching. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys make of his Spring success this year? Another ho-hum good spring or did he show us something a little different?

 

I didnt get to see a single AB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BJays1993 said:

Good question. Is he a solid post-hype sleeper?

 

I mean yes... of course he is. How old is he? Like 23? I definitely think he's with a late round flier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's definitely paths to playing time for Reed, even if Gurriel is good, McCann looks close to done and Gattis always misses time so there will be DH plate appearances. Any injury in corner infield probably sees him up as well. Feel good about AJ and aiming for him in all my deeper leagues where he's been given up on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ is going to be too good this season to be suppressed by mediocre bats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you guys attribute to this solid support? What looks different from a year ago when it looked like he couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What do you guys attribute to this solid support? What looks different from a year ago when it looked like he couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel?

Although I do not think he is in anyway going to steal bases....i found this

 

" Anthony Rizzo, who hit just .141/.281/.242 in 128 at-bats for the San Diego Padres back in 2011. He made adjustments and unlocked his ability in 2012 after a trade to the Cubs; Reed could follow the same path, trade or not."

 

No I am not truly comping him to Rizzo I just think sometimes a players ability takes time to shine.

Yes he blocked at 1B and the Astros seem to be down on him.

 

Some can say his spring training stats lack doubles.

His stat line 2017 Spring

    22Games    40AB  8 R    11H  1 Double  4HR  11RBI 9 BB 10K 0   .275AVG .408OBP .600SLUG  

Yes the Glaring stat is to 2 baggers. Only 1 Double.

 

The MLB stats? I believe in second chances whether in Houston or not.

 

sand off a camel yeah thats funny and I had to google it.

check this out

http://www.heckledepot.com/batter-heckles/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

What do you guys attribute to this solid support? What looks different from a year ago when it looked like he couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel?

 

I haven't caught a enough tape on him this spring to notice anything drastically different.

 

A lot of times it isn't a matter of changing things mechanically most guys enter the league with great mechanics.  Usually it's just a matter of approach and getting reps.  The more you see things the more you learn to lay off of certain pitches in certain counts etc.  Baseball is the one game where experience is the most important.  You can't just go out "athlete" people.  You have to hone your baseball skills specifically.  Sometimes it's just a matter of learning how to lay off of a pitch or two that can take a guys bat next level.  That's how close all professional baseball players, I know the mainstream fantasy player would argue this but it's true.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FouLLine said:

 

I haven't caught a enough tape on him this spring to notice anything drastically different.

 

A lot of times it isn't a matter of changing things mechanically most guys enter the league with great mechanics.  Usually it's just a matter of approach and getting reps.  The more you see things the more you learn to lay off of certain pitches in certain counts etc.  Baseball is the one game where experience is the most important.  You can't just go out "athlete" people.  You have to hone your baseball skills specifically.  Sometimes it's just a matter of learning how to lay off of a pitch or two that can take a guys bat next level.  That's how close all professional baseball players, I know the mainstream fantasy player would argue this but it's true.

 

Yeah, I agree for the most part and understand this. I was asking those who have seen him this spring if they noticed any of these adjustments (i.e. better plate discipline, body composition, ability to make better contact). It kind of sounds like he's mostly been ignored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

 

Yeah, I agree for the most part and understand this. I was asking those who have seen him this spring if they noticed any of these adjustments (i.e. better plate discipline, body composition, ability to make better contact). It kind of sounds like he's mostly been ignored.

 

Well Houston's going to go with Gurriel / Beltran / White to start the season.  Which especially makes sense with how bad AJ struggle last year at the big league level.  But Reed had a really nice spring statistically before being optioned down to AAA.  If the platoon of Gurriel and White is pedestrian an AJ is lighting up the minors I wouldn't be surprised by an early call up.

Edited by FouLLine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Gurriel might be actually good, which complicates things for Reed... especially since they paid him too. I still like Reed long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think Gurriel might be actually good, which complicates things for Reed... especially since they paid him too. I still like Reed long term.

 

True... I'm totally hoping he's not though lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FouLLine said:

 

True... I'm totally hoping he's not though lol

 

Jose Abreu = Cuban Babe

 

Yuli Gurriel= Cuban Ted Williams

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

 

Jose Abreu = Cuban Babe

 

Yuli Gurriel= Cuban Ted Williams

 

Yeah, but I'm not entirely sold on Gurriel as Jose's stats were much better and at a younger age.  Plus Jose had instant success in the majors Gurriel was a below average hitter last year.  But maybe I just want to believe that he sucks for the sake of AJ Reed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

 

Yeah, but I'm not entirely sold on Gurriel as Jose's stats were much better and at a younger age.  Plus Jose had instant success in the majors Gurriel was a below average hitter last year.  But maybe I just want to believe that he sucks for the sake of AJ Reed.

 

Maybe guriel was rusty from a long layoff and playing against mlb pitchers for the first time.

 

I still like reed a lot too though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2017 at 9:41 PM, brockpapersizer said:

 

Jose Abreu = Cuban Babe

 

Yuli Gurriel= Cuban Ted Williams

 
 

You're really thinking he's that much of an impact player? Gurriel that is.

Edited by FinalProphet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinalProphet said:

You're really thinking he's that much of an impact player? Gurriel that is.

 

Potentially. They paid him a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, motown magic said:

Any of you think Reed is better than Vogelbach or Travis ?

 

Sam Travis I assume you're talking about?  Either way I say easily yes and I will always pull for Sam Travis as I watched him in highschool he went to school only 30 mins south of me the catholic school in New Lenox IL if I remember correctly.  Tony Cingrani was another guy I watched in high school went to the public school in New Lenox, Lincoln Way.  But I remember the buzz was Sam Travis was being scouted by almost every team and was going to get paid in the draft.  People were saying he could go in the top 5 rounds.  But alas the IL stigma was held against him drafted in the 40th round so needless to say he went off to play at Indiana with Schwarber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like Reed long-term. He needs to make adjustments and hopefully he can. The knock on him is that he's a big dude with a long swing. And that got exploited last year. But he's hit everywhere, so I tend to believe he can make those adjustments given enough reps and time. The problem in the short-term is playing time. However, both 1B and DH aren't very solid for Houston, so I think this situation will sort itself out. It's basically wait and see with Reed and see when he can get at bats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.