tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

I have a good update! 

I checked in on AJR and I was very surprised to see he is up to 21 homers in 351 AB's. I checked about 2 weeks ago and he had 15. Over his last 10 games (42 ABs) he is hitting .310/.412, 11 K's (still high), 8 walks , 6 homers, 12 runs and 18 RBI. 

6 of his homers came over the course of 7 games. 

On the season he is batting .248/.341/.819 - 93 games , 351 ABs with 87 hits , 69 Runs, 72 RBI, 105 Ks , 48 walks , 21 homers. 

He wont be getting called up but he's hot right now. 

Edited by Under500Forever

23 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I have a good update! 

I checked in on AJR and I was very surprised to see he is up to 21 homers in 351 AB's. I checked about 2 weeks ago and he had 15. Over his last 10 games (42 ABs) he is hitting .310/.412, 11 K's (still high), 8 walks , 6 homers, 12 runs and 18 RBI. 

6 of his homers came over the course of 7 games. 

On the season he is batting .248/.341/.819 - 93 games , 351 ABs with 87 hits , 69 Runs, 72 RBI, 105 Ks , 48 walks , 21 homers. 

He wont be getting called up but he's hot right now. 

you messed up on the slash line I think. He's not slugging 810, thats his OPS. He's slugging .479

These numbers are fine, but it's the PC so slightly less impressive. His 25.9% K rate is the worse he's had in the minors. He's not now, but I feel like Reed isn't the prospect we once thought he could be. He'll get another shot in the majors at some point.

Edited by brockpapersizer

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

you messed up on the slash line I think. He's not slugging 810, thats his OPS. He's slugging .479

These numbers are fine, but it's the PC so slightly less impressive. His 25.9% K rate is the worse he's had in the minors. He's not now, but I feel like Reed isn't the prospect we once thought he could be. He'll get another shot in the majors at some point.

Yea , my bad. It doesn't mean much because playing time is tough to come by in Houston. I feel like he is going to be in AAA for a couple more years without a chance to move up unless he really forces the issue. 

not to do a COol Story Bro but Reed is my worst MiLB draft pick ever. I had a top 5 pick that's year and could have selected some better players. I bought into the hype and selected the BABIP king from 2015. Live and learn but he definitely isn't what we thought. There was so much hype around him plus the fact he could be up quickly. He was up quickly but sucked. 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

Yea , my bad. It doesn't mean much because playing time is tough to come by in Houston. I feel like he is going to be in AAA for a couple more years without a chance to move up unless he really forces the issue. 

not to do a COol Story Bro but Reed is my worst MiLB draft pick ever. I had a top 5 pick that's year and could have selected some better players. I bought into the hype and selected the BABIP king from 2015. Live and learn but he definitely isn't what we thought. There was so much hype around him plus the fact he could be up quickly. He was up quickly but sucked. 

I bought the hype too man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I bought the hype too man. 

Can't win em all man. When I drafted him I envisioned a ceiling like Joey Votto lite. Hits for decent average, takes walks and has power.

These days I'd be happy if he turned out to be like Brandon Belt. 

Just a little AJR update. He's been hitting well at AAA especially after his terrible start. His overall line is up to:

.257/.353 OBP , 24 homers , 75 runs, 79 RBI, 

57 walks , 115 Ks in 102 games (382 ABs)

over his last 10 games 

.353/.489 OBP, 3 homers , 10 walks, 11 Ks, 12 hits , 7 runs, 8 RBI

• Like 1

Another AJ Reed update

he was tied for the home run lead in the minors after Tuesday's game but he homered on Wednesday to give him 33 on the season. 

Over his last 10 games he is hitting:

.381 with a .447 OBP , 8 runs , 7 homers and  14 RBI. 

Seaston totals:  .262 average , .359 OBP, 

86 runs, 33 homers, 97 RBI.

He's still striking out a lot which could be a problem but he's really turned things around after a bad start to the season. 

Edited by Under500Forever

1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

Another AJ Reed update

he was tied for the home run lead in the minors after Tuesday's game but he homered on Wednesday to give him 33 on the season. 

Over his last 10 games he is hitting:

.381 with a .447 OBP , 8 runs , 7 homers and  14 RBI. 

Seaston totals:  .262 average , .359 OBP, 

86 runs, 33 homers, 97 RBI.

He's still striking out a lot which could be a problem but he's really turned things around after a bad start to the season. 

Striking out is the problem though. If he isn't fixing that there isn't anything to see. We all know he has talent and power, but we've seen him in the majors and that striking out results in about a .100 avg with no counting stats.

• Like 2

Not allowIng myself to get overly excited with his past, but...

5 homeruns in last 5 games..

Post hype player to watch.  Playing time problems if he gets the call, though. 

This isn't hard fellas. Like Bips_Braves said... Sell Sell Sell.  Lets stop acting like he's going to transform into something more than he is/ has proven to be. 

He’s been pretty good this season. He has 18 homers in 252 ABs with 66 RBI. 

His average is .272/.384 OBP. 

65 Ks in 300 plate appearances with 44 walks. Still striking out a decent bit but the walks look nice.

i don’t expect him to be a superstar at this point but if he can come to the majors and hit 25-30 homers with a .360 OBP I would be happy. 

4 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

He’s been pretty good this season. He has 18 homers in 252 ABs with 66 RBI. 

His average is .272/.384 OBP. 

65 Ks in 300 plate appearances with 44 walks. Still striking out a decent bit but the walks look nice.

i don’t expect him to be a superstar at this point but if he can come to the majors and hit 25-30 homers with a .360 OBP I would be happy. 

Unless traded he will not be recalled or fantasy worthy. He is not going to get another shot in Houston...

Edited by knuckleheads

15 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Unless traded he will not be recalled or fantasy worthy. He is not going to get another shot in Houston...

Probably not.  J.D. Davis is probably ahead of him at this point.

13 hours ago, B&F said:

Probably not.  J.D. Davis is probably ahead of him at this point.

Reed never got another opportunity when Gurriel was out which is pretty much all you need to know with how the Astros view his future...

What's frustrating is that if Astros are not high on him, they should just trade him where he will be given a chance to see what he can do and not just stash him in the minors. He got recalled to MLB as Yuli went on to the paternity list due to the birth of his child; Reed got the call, but given 3AB (0/3 1K) and never saw him again!  Gosh, prisoners have been given more chance than this!

I just hope that he is traded to some rebuilding team for a long look chance he deserves.

53 minutes ago, AF25 said:

What's frustrating is that if Astros are not high on him, they should just trade him where he will be given a chance to see what he can do and not just stash him in the minors. He got recalled to MLB as Yuli went on to the paternity list due to the birth of his child; Reed got the call, but given 3AB (0/3 1K) and never saw him again!  Gosh, prisoners have been given more chance than this!

I just hope that he is traded to some rebuilding team for a long look chance he deserves.

Well minor league players are property owned assets no different than major league players and teams get to decide on how to utilize them. That could be playing in the majors or being stuck in the minors.  He's had chances but just hasn't capitalize on them.  Whether he's had enough chances is probably up for debate but it's looking more and more obvious that his next real shot (if it comes) won't be with the Astros.   I am sure if they could find a trading partner to give them something decent in return (meaning someone who could be a major leaguer) they would consider dealing him.   However,  his stock can't be demanding too much in return right now...

14 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Well minor league players are property owned assets no different than major league players and teams get to decide on how to utilize them. That could be playing in the majors or being stuck in the minors.  He's had chances but just hasn't capitalize on them.  Whether he's had enough chances is probably up for debate but it's looking more and more obvious that his next real shot (if it comes) won't be with the Astros.   I am sure if they could find a trading partner to give them something decent in return (meaning someone who could be a major leaguer) they would consider dealing him.   However,  his stock can't be demanding too much in return right now...

Thx for your reply. I get that he is a property owned by the team and they can do whatever they want with him; but Reed strike me as the type of player who needs some consistency AB once he is acclaimed to his new surrounding. His shares of "opportunities" came in one season only and that was 2016, which was his first taste of MLB and some players don't just become a regular MLB player right off the bat. In 2017 he's got 6AB and this year so far, 3AB and he's just got optioned today. 

Guess just have to hope that my wish will come true before July 31st that he will be traded to a team which will give me an extended look.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AF25 said:

Thx for your reply. I get that he is a property owned by the team and they can do whatever they want with him; but Reed strike me as the type of player who needs some consistency AB once he is acclaimed to his new surrounding. His shares of "opportunities" came in one season only and that was 2016, which was his first taste of MLB and some players don't just become a regular MLB player right off the bat. In 2017 he's got 6AB and this year so far, 3AB and he's just got optioned today. 

Guess just have to hope that my wish will come true before July 31st that he will be traded to a team which will give me an extended look.

Hope for a trade to say Baltimore, KC, or Detroit.

Could say the same for Dan Vogelsong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Hope for a trade to say Baltimore, KC, or Detroit.

Could say the same for Dan Vogelsong.

Out of the three, I wish for Baltimore; his left handed swing can be very sweet in that ballpark as well as at Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park.